This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard- BothTeamsPlayedHard- 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Who’s the better prospect?

High upside or developed senior here. I’d have to go with the finished product Davion Mitchell. I think he can be a Pat Beverly type of defender with an offensive game. Keon’s athleticism definitely is eye popping and he’s a dog which helps his case but he’s just so raw I just don’t trust most NBA teams development programs to assist him in maximizing his potential. At this point I don’t think he’s NBA ready. Maybe if he goes to one of the better programs that takes their time with their prospects but how many of those exist and can get in that 7-15 range? Spurs would be a good fit. Memphis. New York would be outstanding, I would like to see him land there if the Knicks packaged their picks for say 11 Charlotte, but pretty sure they gave Miles Mcbride a promise.

Other Discussions
    Green vs. Suggs https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/topic/jalen-green-vs-jalen-suggs/
    Kuminga vs. Barnes https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/topic/jonathan-kuminga-vs-scottie-barnes/
    Bouknight vs. Moody https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/topic/james-bouknight-vs-moses-moody/
    Giddey vs. Johnson https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/topic/josh-giddey-vs-jalen-johnson/
    Sengun vs. Jones https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/topic/alperen-sengun-vs-kai-jones/

3+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Super super close to me, but I think Johnson’s athleticism gives him the higher ceiling.

2+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Keon Johnson to me is a more athletic and glorified Hamidou Diallo, ceiling is Sprewell if he figures out defense. A lot of his game is predicated off of his incredible athleticism. I’m actually not sure how his game is going to translate. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt though with his vertical record.

Davion Mitchell’s best case scenario to me is Mike Conley, but he has a higher floor than Keon Johnson. I guess I would lean towards Mitchell more unless my team is OKC or maybe another bottom feeder for now that doesn’t need a PG. He’s a good fit anywhere he lands and brings that gritty defense to the table.

Both players can work on their shooting consistencies, I’d go Mitchell overall between the 2 if I were a GM.

2+
    canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Johnson is more of a gamble- if you think he has the drive to work on his game- Mitchell is the safe pick- Beverly at worst, likely, a better version. Depends on what a team is looking for to determine the better prospect. Pure potential- Johnson.

2+
    festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

I find it interesting that this was conversation in the 6-9 range earlier on & now we kind of talking that 10-15 range as their most likely destination.

The physical tools all favour Keon Johnson even though as a wing he is only 6’3 he has a lot more size on Davion Mitchell. Given Mitchell’s age there is a chance he is close to a finished product which isn’t a bad thing given he appears to be a very good defender, has a decent outside shot & good leadership ability. In saying all that I’m all about the upside attached to Keon Johnson if he just bumps his 3pt shot up to or close to league average then that’s a really good NBA wing.
    Give me Johnson!

3+
    2quick4u
    Participant

Definitely D.Mitchell.
    KJ can’t shoot and he’s short with no wingspan.. I don’t care how much he can jump, in today’s game in order to be a good defender you need to be long not strong or athletic as contact is not allowed, so the only way to defend today is with length.
    DM on the other hand can contribute right away with his offense, his leadership and his intensity.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Fred Van Vleet being the exception? He’s one of leagues best defenders and his wingspan is 6’1.5

1+
        festar35festar35
        festar35
        Participant

That’d be my ceiling for Davion Mitchell as a player.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

People assume shooting can be fixed, but how many of the freaky athletes who are bad shooters make the leap? Okoro probably needs more time to assess given the late draft and odd offseason, but he had a rough year. Romeo Langford still struggled. Nassir Little had a few blowout/OKC no defense games that made his numbers look better than they probably should, but is far from reliable. Zhaire Smith and Josh Okogie have still struggled with their shots. The idea of taking Johnson in the top ten just feels like risky. He is not that big, can’t really create, and struggles with his shot. I don’t think there is value. Mitchell gives you a dog defensively, and his shot has come around.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login