This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar DurantsWingspan 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Aran Smith
    Keymaster
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Know you are high on him and I bet he goes pretty high. Word was that once Johnny Jones left for LSU, Mitchell was gone. Rumor no more I guess.

WinterSoldier
    Participant

I hope he goes to Jazz in the late lottery and I think he might after the combines.

So raspy
    Participant

i like the gerald wallace comparisons considering his rebounding, defense, and weak jumpshot. will impact games from his athleticism and length alone

lolyouth
      Participant

He shot .567 FG% and .439 3pt%. That doesn’t seem very weak to me.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

It is a big leap going from the Sun Belt to the NBA. Whoever takes him is going to need to be patient. 

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

He’s a great athlete,but doesnt have a true grasp of how to play the game…And like Biyombo last year,who didnt have great fundamentals, his defensive skills are too good to pass up…Teams will be drafting him based on his upside…..I see him going anywhere from 15 to 35…..

Wahoo757
    Participant

I’m not all that surprised by this, especially considering his coach left for LSU. This is what I said when he announced he was returning to school on April 9th, and that was before his coach left.

"Although I read something a couple days ago about Tony Mitchell returning to school rather than opting for the NBA, I’m still surprised he didn’t declare. I’m assuming a guy that was ruled academically ineligible for Missouri doesn’t care much for school and the prospect of being a 1st round pick and not having to go to school again would be enticing."

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/tony-mitchel-cj-mccollum-both-returning-2-school

Not surprising, but returnning to school could have helped him a lot, and allow him to find his true position. Being a bit of a tweener hurts his stock some and he’ll probably be picked right outside the lottery, worst case being early 20s.

FLYNTFLOSSYBABY

make since

Jimmy Chitwood
    Participant

According to Tony Mitchell himself, Tony’s HS coach, and Tony’s mom he is NOT leaving for the 2012 draft.

He remains committed to North Texas for 2012-2013.

The reports that he has decided to leave due to the coaching change are NOT accurate.

He has a Lebron-like game.  Power, skill, can handle and shoot it.  This kid is the most under rated player in America.

Again though – Tony Mitchell will be returning to North Texas.

Jimmy Chitwood
    Participant

I love the internet. 

I read a report this morning stating that "Tony Mitchell has declared for the draft."  I had seen a couple other tweets and reports stating similar, but this was the first to claim that Tony had made a statement, yet it linked to a tweet that did not have any comment from Tony himself.

I was surprised to read that because I was told he was still staying even though Jones left,  so I called the actual sources.

Nick Smith – former Pinkston HS head coach – told me Tony is still committed to UNT.  This is from mom and from Tony.  He said I could tweet it, email it, post it.  That is from the source.

Now I have a -1 vote for posting something that is accurate.

Welcome to the internet…

Jimmy Chitwood
    Participant

People who assume Tony does not care about school are wrong.  He has done very well at UNT.

He did what he needed to in Dallas to graduate, but NCAA rules deemed him as a non-qualifier due to core credits.

He is a great kid who has handled a very difficult journey with class and humility.

He will get his time to shine…eventually.

The stuff that people think about him is very misguided – that is a fact.

Incredible talent – best player from the Dallas area since Larry Johnson.

DurantsWingspan

I’ve seen this on 2 threads now. You reported it, but on your new early entrants page, he is not on it. I just want to know what is going on because I have no idea if he is declaring or not. This Jimmy Chitwood seems like he actually knows Tony, but obviously I would trust Aran before him, so what is it? Thank you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login