Freshman Rankings Updated
Here's a look at our top 50 incoming freshmen. This class has tremendous talent and depth. With as many as 10 potential lottery picks and 20 potential one and done first rounders, this class gives college basketball fans a lot to get excited about for the upcoming season.
NCAA Freshman Rankings - Class of 2014
1. Harrison Barnes 6-8 215 SF North Carolina Fr. -- Barnes enters college as the odds on favorite to be the top pick in the 2011 draft. He is a can't miss talent and while he isn't on the level talent-wise with the game's current greats: LeBron, Kobe, DWade, Durant etc, his strong work ethic and character will allow him to maximize his abilities. As great a basketball player as he is, he's an even more impressive person off the court. The one knock on Barnes is that he still must develop toughness and a killer instinct.
2. Perry Jones 6-11 230 SF/PF Baylor Fr. -- Jones has as much raw talent as any player on this list, or any other list related to current NBA prospects. A 6-11 forward with the quickness and ability to get by opponents off the dribble to the rim is a rare breed. Jones still has a ways to go and must tighten his shooting and improve his consistency but scouts are drooling over his long term potential.
3. Kyrie Irving 6-2 172 PG Duke Fr. -- An extremely mature and charismatic kid, Irving gives the Dukies a great shot at repeating as National Champions. Irving is extremely polished and should make the transition to the college game effortlessly. While Irving isn't an overpowering physical specimen, he is a high level athlete with natural playmaking instincts and intelligence. He's also made it clear that being a one-and-done player isn't a foregone conclusion. Should Duke repeat, and Irving be projected as a top 5 pick at the end of the season, he may find that difficult to turn down however.
4. Enes Kanter 6-11 261 PF/C Kentucky Fr. -- Kanter's NCAA eligibility is still being sorted out after his Turkish Team claimed that he had been under contract and paid while a junior. Kanter has absolutely dominated his age group in Europe similar to the way Ricky Rubio did a few years earlier. His record setting 34 pts and 13 rebounds against the USA's elite talent at the Hoop Summit showcased the talent he possesses. He'll first need to get eligible and then prove that the rumors of serious knee problems are just that, rumors.
5. Jared Sullinger 6-9 286 PF Ohio St. Fr. -- Sullinger has an ideal "ornery" demeanor for an NBA post player. His lack of tremendous lift is countered with supreme strength and toughness and a high skill level. He'll have a good chance of being a top 10 pick and could even approach top 5 status if he can dedicate himself to conditioning and display the athleticism that he possesses.
6. Terrence Jones 6-9 220 SF Kentucky Fr. -- Jones is Mr. Versatility. The forward out of the Northwest has the ability to handle and score the ball, which for a 6-9 small forward is unusual. He's a little funky with his shooting mechanics but he has touch and is a skilled offensive player. Jones has one and done lotto talent if everything falls into place for him in his freshman season at Kentucky.
7. Brandon Knight 6-3 185 PG Kentucky Fr. -- Knight has long been considered near or at the top of this class of prospects. He's a tough minded, competitive player who raises his game in important situations. An absolute blur with the ball, Knight possesses a quick first step and excellent shooting abilities. He tallied over 40 points on numerous occasions in high school and will look to hone his point guard skills at UK.
8. CJ Leslie 6-9 207 SF/PF NC State Fr. -- One of the true physical specimens, Leslie is a thoroughbred with long limbs and great leaping ability. He shows some ability to handle the ball and uses his elite athleticism to be tremendous in the open floor and on the boards. He needs to settle on a position and show some skill development/potential but has a chance to be a one and done guy.
9. Ian Miller 6-3 170 PG Florida St. Fr. -- We may have him a little high but based on everything we've seen and heard on this kid, he has a chance to be special. He wasn't a McDonald's All American nor on any recruiting list's top 20 players in the class. But he did drain a game winner to knock out John Wall's team as a junior and possesses elite level speed and athleticism and intriguing skills.
10. Fab Melo 7-0 255 C Syracuse Fr. -- Melo displayed his dedication and focus by dropping nearly 50 pounds at the end of his senior season, gaining additional speed and agility. He's a work in progress but shows the type of upside that keeps NBA scouts up at night.
11. Jereme Richmond 6-7 195 SG/SF Illinois Fr. -- Early returns from Champaign are that Richmond could be the team's best player from the moment he walks on the floor. Richmond has long been a physical freak from the wing position with oodles of upside, but his focus and work ethic have been surprising and and have him quickly rising the freshman rankings.
12. Tobias Harris 6-8 225 SF Tennessee Fr. -- There are players that are "natural scorers" and Harris fits that mold. He could easily be the Volunteers top scorer as a freshman. He has a bag of tricks offensively and a feathery jumpshot.
13. Adreian Payne 6-9 225 PF Michigan St. Fr. -- Payne will quickly be tested in the top conference in college basketball this year. A long rangy athlete, Payne appears to just be scratching the surface of his potential.
14. Cory Joseph 6-3 180 PG Texas Fr. -- Teammate, and fellow freshman Longhorn, Tristan Thompson might be more likely to jump after one year, but Joseph has more potential. He's an excellent jumpshooter with ideal size and speed for the PG position.
15. Josh Selby 6-3 183 PG Kansas Fr. -- Selby was Rivals #1 rated player in this class and there's no questioning he has immense talent. For NBA talent evaluators his lack of a true position and lack of great fundamentals drops him down the list some. His ability to create his own shot using speed and strength makes him a potential go to type of player. However he first must become eligible and prove himself as a point guard capable of running a team.
NCAA Freshman Rankings - Class of 2014
how is selby so low?
I'm lovin the props for Jereme Richmond.....as far as making an impact on his college team he will rank very high this year....
Aran just isn't high on Selby, and its probably mostly a mixed bag from scouts in regards to his draft status and position wise, the way he fits. We'll see how he looks in college if he's eligible. I hope that he doesn't go out there this year with the sole intent of proving people wrong and just trying to impress nba scouts, ala willie warren. As this might prove detrimental for a guy who's been pretty vocal about his desire to enter the draft after one year of school. Hopefully he buys into the team concept and gels with Tyshawn Taylor and they have success as a team. He's a guy I can't wait to see play though, seems like a crowd pleaser with some of his plays I've seen.
he won't let that sh*t ride....
Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company.
Here, there's good news to tell you: The company recently
launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionable
and welcome everyone to come buy. If necessary,
Tobias harris is wayyyyy to low. one of the most talented out of all the players and only behind barnes skill wise plus hes know as a very hard worker
He goes by the name of JUSTIN OMOGUN..or J.O. for short.... Last year i had this kid as a diamond in the ruff,,, and this year hes letting america know they mad a mistake by not offering him a major D1 scholarship..so he's serving notice now at Western Nebraska Community College a D1 juco. Justin or J.O. as he is known around campus has all ready put up 40pt, 12reb in only hes third college game of his young career.. He led all scores and lifted the school to its most impresive win in school history.. J.O. was just the third player in school history to score 40 or more.he didnt just take da 40pt and let it make his season..no not J.O. his next game he put up 19pts and 8 reb..as he took over to win the game..i can go on sabout that ths kid has done the first have of the season but u can read it all for yourself go to www.wncc/athletics then go to cougar news..more to come!!!!