This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mack 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    zolazola
    zola
    Participant

Is it time to call Luka Dončić for Trae Young and Cam Reddish swap the worst trade ever?

If Luka plays instead of Trae in Atlanta, Hawks would be the best team in the NBA.
    Trae is probably the most overrated star player and arguably the worst defender in the league, but good enough to keep them in mediocracy next decade.

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

As a Suns fan I hugely regret we didn’t draft Luka and Sacramento must have 1984 or 2003 draft regret with who they took that year too.

3+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Trae Young really hasn’t improved since he entered the league. He has the ball more, but he isn’t stronger, quicker, or a better (or at least more selective) shooter. The same goes for Cam Reddish, though he wasn’t all that good at Duke, which should have been a warning sign. The good hasn’t been consistent in the five years since high school, and there are still people who swear he just needs a chance. It won’t go down as the worst trade, but it does have the feeling of Kobe for Vlade if Kobe had a bad body and had just dominated the Euroleague at 18.

2+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

I remember a few bad trades. Draft trades are rolling the dice. Trae Young is an All-Star level player. Doncic is an MVP hopeful. I get how it’s a hindsight bad trade. But the irony is they both don’t play much defense. They both need the ball in their hands. If Luka were on the Hawks, the team would likely be constructed with different players. Same concept though. Not sure the Hawks would be the best team in the league if that were the case, but the Hawks could give any team a run for their money at least.

“I’ll give you Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy WILL PERDUE For your dennis rodman…” smh, and somehow that was actually a deal. Bulls dominated and broke the record with him. This trade was probably just as bad, and there have probably been worse.

2+
      zolazola
      zola
      Participant

Luka will be all time great. He is not good defender, but at least he is big enough so you can hide him on defense. Trae is atrocious defender.

Luka plays with second rounders and undrafted players in Dallas and still they are top 4 team in the West. Atlanta has way more talent than Dallas.

2+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

I don’t think they had a choice. I had a theory at the time that Luka said he would only play for Dallas (to have Dirk as a mentor) or New York (to play with Porzingis). I still believe that theory.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the Suns had taken Luka with the top pick in that draft as they had just hired a European coach and are a reasonably big franchise. I’d heard rumours that Luka wasn’t keen on going to Sac-Town, I don’t know about other teams

2+
    JDB12
    Participant

First of all, I think it’s a good 5-10 years too early to determine who won that trade given they’re only 23 and 24…But it’s a WILD statement to call it the worst trade ever–Especially with the trade my Wolves made this off season. Obviously stats don’t paint the whole picture, but in that aspect over their respective careers–Luka is marginally more efficient on offense, and a better rebounder. That is about the only difference in their production which I’d hope to be the case given Luka is 6+ inches taller and ~70 pounds heavier. Both are ridiculously ball dominant to have any impact on the game and both are terrible defenders. Both have reached the conference finals one time. Everyone has acted like Luka has had such a better career than Trae but I don’t see it.

1+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Worst trade ever? You forgot about the Vlade Divac for Kobe straight up trade on draft day?

3+
    mack
    Participant

Worst trade all time was Joe Berry Carrol to the Warriors for Robert Parrish and Kevin McHale.

4+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login