This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

For those who do not know, the RSCI is short for “Recruiting Services Consensus Index”. It is a composite ranking that takes into account a few major rankings, such as 247, ESPN, Rivals and Van Coleman. It awards the players points based on the rankings and basically gives a top 100 based across platforms. It is like the 247 Composite, only it shows all of the rankings as well. Either way, it is commonly used among HS and Draft circles.

While many a time, top ranked players turn into really great NBA players, it does not always go that way. In fact, some feel the RSCI carries too much weight in terms of where certain players end up getting drafted. We examined a few top ranked RSCI guys who ended up going much lower than when they were ranked, if they were drafted at all.

https://youtu.be/IxHhQzSxcpQ

The common theme seemed to be physically developed big men, with a couple PG’s with questionable shooting mixed in. As the value of wings and/or offensive initiators has risen, it seems that how we rank HS players may have changed some as well. Either way, the age limit definitely seems to show that RSCI is risky and that HS rankings can indeed be volatile.

Even when prep to pro was going strong, players were not always drafted based on their RSCI. Different teams valued certain players more or less than others, much like the draft community at large.

Who were some top ranked HS players you thought were sure things who ended up going much lower in the draft than you expected? We also delve into reasons why, in many cases injuries were at least part of the reason.

Also, anyone still in on some draft prospects for 2021 who were highly ranked in HS and have slipped some after struggling as freshmen? BJ Boston and Ziaire Williams definitely struggled as freshmen, but it seems some teams still are pretty high on them based on their high school sample. Where are they on your board, and anyone else this year you have ranked higher than consensus based on HS sample?

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

I’ve always taken RSCI with a grain of salt. A lot of those players mentioned were players with gifted physical tools at an early age, where they may or may not make it – in your episode, they didn’t make it so much. At one point, I thought Seventh Woods at 14 years old was going to be the next PG star. smh. not so much either. That being said, it’s a good guide to use for an initial ranking of players.
    The struggling freshmen this year – I wouldn’t be surprised if both BJ Boston and Ziaire Williams still go in the 1st round. If I’m a bad team like OKC or HOU this year, then Williams to me is worth a 1st round flyer. That’s not lottery lock to me but maybe end of lottery to around 20ish or so. Personally though, potential due to wingspan and an overrated ranking doesn’t cut it for Boston. He needs the right team and situation to stand a chance in making it imo. Because of his tools/athleticism he will get labeled with upside and he’ll get drafted. If either one of those players had a shot that wasn’t so broke, they would be in the lottery. It just isn’t the case though. At least not yet. Seems like I pick on those prospects a lot though. Overall, this particular draft the RSCI REALLY doesn’t match what the play suggested hind site 20/20. Makur Maker, Bryce Thompson… LMAO!

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Norrin go to the fantasy league page theres a message for you.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login