This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mattleungnova 15 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    ItsMLtime
    Participant

Who should the Houston Rockets select with the 25th overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft? Should they draft based on need or potential? Should they trade the pick?

L.Shap
    Participant

Dikembe Mutombo is going to retire. Face it he was during the early 90’s. They need a center. They are set at every other position. Face it. Yao Ming cannot last a whole NBA season. IF they got a guy like Alex Ajiinca of France to back him up, Houston would own. Now… Others may suggest that they need a small foward… Battier is great… but he’s coming off a mediocre season. I think they could upgrade with a guy like.. Donte Green… Bit of a stretch but i suppose he could come in off the bench. The Rockets need to draft upon need. They don’t need stars cause they have T-mac and Yao. Two superstars. Right now they just need a hardcore scorer.

Evan_Milberg
      Participant

Absolutely agreed. I’ve seen some mocks having them take a PF like Jason Thompson or Serge Ibaka, but what they really need is a backup center. The problem is, at 25, Javale McGee, Kosta Koufos, Robin Lopez, and Roy Hibbert should all be off the board. If one of those guys slips, then the Rockets should jump on him. However, I don’t like the idea of them drafting Ajinca. He, to me, still doesn’t have an NBA body, and would get dominated in the paint by average big men on defense. If anything, they might to trade down for a guy like Nathan Jawai out of Australia, who’s a tad undersized for center, but is a bruiser in the paint.

b0ricua
      Participant

Battier coming off a mediocre season? The guy will never put up monster statistics.. it is his intangibles that keeps him on top of the list that coaches would love to have on their team. The guy will play solid defense night in and night out, and will do what it takes to win the game. The Rockets have their players that can score, Battier does not need to do that.

FUNKYBUNCH
      Participant

If Darrell Arthur or Robin Lopez fall in the Rockets lap then they should draft either one of those players. If not, the Rockets might as well deal the pick. The big men are not the strength of this draft. Rockets don’t need project players or a big man with just a bunch of upside… They either need someone that will contribute right away or to just deal their pick away. For some reason if the Rockets can’t deal their pick away and don’t get a quality big man that can contribute right away, then they might as well draft the best available player. Anything else is a foolish move. Rockets should resign Landry for a good price too.

mattleungnova
      Participant

“face it yao cant last a whole season?” he actually has 3 times in a row, but a backup wouldnt hurt

Road Blocker
    Participant

The Rockets just need to look for depth. They don’t have huge holes in the starting line up, but depth is always an issue. I say BPA at any position but point guard. Could be Ajinca, although he could go much higher.

I like Bill Walker for this team, CDR would also fit. Walker could be a stretch, but I think he is a high value for the Rockets.

shipargos
    Participant

I think rockets need another scorer or a low post threat, Landry is good but they need a more reliable PF, i think Ajinca will do fine with some more weight and experience… About SF they need somebody who can shoot but also slash… perhaps Douglas Roberts..umm

TooMuch
    Participant

I think they should try to reach and take Mario Chalmers. They have a buttload of good scoring point gaurds like Rafer Alston, Bobby Jackson, Aaron Brooks, and Mike James but none of them are known for their playmaking abilitys. I think the Rockets should try to ship out some of there point gaurds for maybe a reliable back-up center and draft Mario who is know to be a good defender, distibuter, and hell of a clutch player. I like the way the rest of the team looks though for the most part. Shane Battier is a good shooter and defender. Luis Scola had a nice rookie season. And when T-Mac and Yao are healthy theyre the best tandom in the league.

RayStats34
    Participant

Rockets got Ron Artest now so are pick was used well

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login