This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 1 year ago.

• Author
    Hitster
    Participant

With 15 or so games to go in the regular season when do teams look to start shutting down players either to protect them for the play offs or to try and improve their lottery chances?

Rockets, Spurs, Pistons and Hornets are the clear bottom 4 teams but everyone else out West are in the play offs or level with the bottom play in spot. Out East 3 teams are within reach of the play in final spot but do they go all out for this or try to get best possible lottery odds?

A lot of these teams will have younger players who they want to get minutes into so it will more likely be the vets who are shut down although good younger players could be given games off. The flip side is visiting teams in the play offs might then decide to rest some of their players if they know they will be facing lesser players from the opposition.

The key might be with the fringe play in yeams like Utah and Blazers do they shut Markkanen and especially Dame down if the play in chances begin to diminish.

1+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

It’s already started haha teams like Detroit, OKC etc have been doing it for last week or two.

1+
    Zouldiers
    Participant

Detroit has already shutdown Bogey and Diallo (well, he’s out of the season). They might shutdown Burks as well lol. These last few games or so may be a showcase for guys like Ivey.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I don’t think Portland would risk Lillard’s continued loyalty by shutting him down (or any of his teammates who are healthy) when he is known for wanting to play. Congratulations, you get the #4 pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, but Damian Lillard demands a trade. Enjoy your next decade!

With Markkanen, I think it is important for him to keep playing. His career was swerved quite a bit. Following a very promising rookie and sophomore years, he really struggled to adapt when the Bulls (wrongly) wanted him to just be a 3-point shooter. It didn’t just impact his shot, but his overall engagement in the game. A number of European guys have been open about being frustrated by being relegated to a standing at the arc role. Nikola Mirotic comes to mind as well. I sure American guys have struggled with it, and not liked it, but for them leaving the NBA is different because America is home and going off the Europe or Asia is more of a chore than Mirotic going back to Spain. Now, that is has re-emerged as an all-around player, you have to want him to stretch his legs out for a full 82 games. He has never played 70 games in a season. If you want to build a team with him as a major cog, you ultimately want him to be ready to play into May and June. Well, building your body up to handle going to 80-90-100 games in a season needs to happen.

I do wonder how the lack of depth in the lottery makes tanking even riskier. Set aside my belief that teams will not want to take on Brandon Miller’s baggage, but is there a great deal of difference between your assessment of guys projected to go 5-8 and 14-18? I don’t think so. That should play a role when considering whether to go all-in with the guys you have. If you are Indiana, you have a young team (McConnell and Hield are the only rotation guys over 26), don’t you want them to show some life? If you are OKC, how many times can you shut down SGA?

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

Houston, Orlando and Detroit both have young sides but might Ivey, Green, Banchero etc be shut down as they are totally out of the play in picture. The chances of landing Wemby could be a game changer.

Ironically Cunningham, Ball etc are out for the season.

Dame is loyal to Portland but can they build another contending side within his playing window. As he is the dominant player on their cap I do wonder if they might hit the reset button and he might look to move on. The Knicks have those picks and D-Rose’s player option if they would part with RJ then could there be a deal there?

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

So is Wembanyama on the Spurs or are we holding out til’ next year???

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2023/4/1/23666048/spurs-acquire-victor-wembanyama-in-sign-and-trade-with-french-team

Is this a loophole to pick your own team if you’re that good? Idk what’s happening…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I think I found an April Fool’s joke or something… this would be bigger news…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Metropolis 92′ about to start now, speaking of Wemby…

Hitster
    Participant

That is a good April Fools joke, if a team could find a way to get Wemby this way I think every team would be trying to get him.

The fun could be if Wemby did what Doncic did and stated a preference where he would or wouldn’t go?

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login