This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar goldie92689 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Tioseco
    Participant

In light of the news that Paul Pierce, after this last season with the Clippers, will sign with the Celtics and then retire so that he can “retire as a Celtic.” Earlier this offseason, Amare did the same thing with the Knicks, thus “retiring as a Knick.”

My question is, what is the point of doing this other than for publicity purposes (though Amare’s didn’t get that much publicity anyway)? I don’t buy the whole “honoring the franchise i made a mark in/i blossomed in” storyline…so many other stars have retired without going through all this and I don’t think it really changes anything. Pierce’s jersey will go up the rafters in Boston regardless, he can get a front office job with the C’s even if he doesn’t sign before retiring there…so am I missing something? Kindly enlighten me. Thanks!

OhCanada-
    Participant

They get to recapture the moment and label it as a Celtics moment.  When he goes to the hall of fame the video of his retirement and hanging his jersey number to be retired in Boston. Shows which organization he has an allegiance to and prepares him for after basketball. 

Its also a good way to sell those 76ers or Nets tickets. 

**Paul Pierce Night**

-Free Pizza for kids

-Half Price Beer with any order of food

-Free Paul Pierce bobble head

Philadelphia vs Boston

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

Retirement Paperwork is a Death Certificate on an athletes career obviously, as a player you want your career to officially end where your best memories are.. Pretty much the one day contract and retire situation is the opportunity for a player and team to say "Hey We both knew  this relationship couldnt last forever, the split was business related"  so to summerize its a way for a player to say hey no hard feelings if that makes sense.

Someone mentioned Amare retiring with the Knicks, Clearly his departure from Phoenix was personal, and him wanting to retire a Knick made it Obvious.

Thenilonator
    Participant

I agree with Tioseco! It’s such an empty gesture, I’m all for what KG did in going back to Minnesota in a mentoring role before retiring in Minnesota but in Paul pierces situation, either go back this year to the C’s or retire a clipper. Everyone will always remember him as a Celtic, much in the same way everyone will remember Amare as a Sun, not a knick!

Hitster
    Participant

I don’t quite get the sign and retire thing unless a guy possibly suits up for one more game and has an on court farewell. Shaq retired as a Celtic so he didn’t go back to Lakers or Miami etc. Steve Nash didn’t go back to Suns.

It’s just almost a publicity thing I agree.

holefillers1
    Participant

I think half the time it is boosted by ego.  These players were good to great with one team then through injuries or age they were not the same player.  Remember Donovan McNabb, traded away at age 31. Everyone says WTF but he sux in D.C.  and retires within a couple years. Now hes 34 and he comes back to philly and says #5 will always love you…(remember me when I was good)

goldie92689
    Participant

As a Yankee fan I can tell you this is a very special thing for franchise, player and the fans. Although this practice of returning to your home franchise to retire has not caught on in the baseball world, the idea of trying to play with one franchise is an accolade that many players and fans truly appreciate. I would assume the next best thing is coming back to hang them up and end your career in the colors you wore when it began. 

Yankee fans assign their favorite players a very special title. It is the title of "Yankee" it is a 100 year old tradition. Once you have that title you can play elsewhere and always welcomed home when your ready to return. This practice solidifies your bond with the fan of that franchise forever and ever. It also provides a title that can be called upon throughout the rest of the player’s life. 

So it is not a useless practice, while entirely symbollic it is very special to the fans for a player to acknowledge the relationship and show gratitude on their way out. 

As for Amare, in my opinion while NY appreciates Amare, he never really had the moment he needed to be immortalized in the lore of New York sports. Amare has a great appreciation for the gratitude NY fans bestowed on him after the Donnie Walsh/Lebron fiasco summer. As a player who often felt unappreciated and overlooked Amare’s half season of dominance was very special to him as for once he felt like he was the leader and primary player on a team and he delivered during that time until Melo came and Amare succombed to his health issues. I have to beleive that time was very special to Amare thus I’m sure he wants to be able to return to NY and be recognized as a "Knick" and not just a player who played for the Knicks. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login