This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Hitster
    Participant

If Russell Wetbrook is moved by the Lakers and then bought out where do we see him landing.

With all the assets the Nets want for KD has Westbrook freally fallen so much in value that he wouldn’t be a great pick up for a contending team?

He still put up 18,7,7 last season on a team containing LBJ and AD or is the issue that he needs the ball to be at his best. Even playing off ball his rebounding and scoring would be a great asset IMO. Would he accept a bench role I wonder to be on a contender or might he even go to a rebuilding team to be the main ball carrier and the veteran presence creating for a load of young players?

The John Wall role with the Clippers would be ideal for him but are there any starting roles out there on play off teams?

Relinking up with KD did spring to mind but another big name at the Nets could cause issues and how does the ball carrying work?

Poetland went all in retaining Dame so might a move there work?

GSW are the powerhouse and with their shooters Russ could share Green’s role plus it gives him best title shot but the saley cap would be an issue?

Boston have added Gallinari and value veteran presence and RW would be a good squad player and 3rd/4th scoring option

Reunite with Harden in Philly giving them another scoring option and vital extra depth?

He is a legend in OKC but they have a young backcourt who need playing time so going back there would not seem logical

The one rebuilding team light at point is the Spurs and the chance to play under Pops might be appealing but they are years away from contending and Pops and Russ might both be retired by that time anyway

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I don’t see a great fit for Westbrook out there on paper right now but he has enough left in the tank that he will be picked up by some team if he is bought out. But his days of being an offensive centerpiece are over. The question will be how willing and able he can be to adapt his game to more of a supporting role. Focus on other aspects of the game besides scoring and having the ball in his hands all the time. That will likely determine his nba future. If he can’t adapt or is unwilling too he could have a very abrupt iverson-like end to his career.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

AI had ironically played less career games than Westbrook has done so far but AI used to play crazy minutes. If Westbrook has an AI “I won’t play from the bench” mentality then his career could come to an end. When a superstar goes to the bench it has to be in the right situation. Ray Allen did so in Miami but he was backing up D-Wade so probably accepted it.

1+
    r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I think its only a matter of a few season before he is out of the league.

He could be a 6th man is used right and if he had the correct mentality.

I said it years ago, Westbrook will not age well. He relied on his athletism his whole career. Now he is older with more miles, he still has no jump shot so he will be out the league in the next few years.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Man. Westbrook still has elite athleticism. He’s a bad fit for modern offenses but the guy is still a ridiculous talent.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Beverly just traded to the Lakers for THT. Westbrook’s probably next.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Yeah. Those two wont be playing together that much we can be certain of. They probably have something agreed to for Westbrook that is just on hold for one reason or another.

1+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Hoping that Turner Hield deal with Indy is next domino.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

It would be interesting to see how willing the Lakers are to take on Hield’s deal. Turner and Beverley are expiring deals. Hield has an additional year. LeBron, AD, Damian Jones (PO), and Max Christie are the only players under contract though I suspect one can put at least Austin Reaves down for the restricted figure as well. Currently, the Lakers figure to have a good amount of space under the projected $133 million cap for 2023-24. Hield’s $19.3 million takes away most of it.

2+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

I think Turner and Hield are all they need to compete though. Turner has the abillity to compete for DPOY and when at his best complete changes the game for Indiana defensively. Hield is a top 5 shooter in the league. With Beverley thats three roles nailed on a team that was terribly inconsistent last year and really had very little established roles. Along with the very sneaky pickups of Lonnie Walker and Thomas Bryant it would leave Lakers one of the most improved teams in the league.

But of course they probably rather go swing for a superstar instead with all that cap room.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I don’t know about that being all they need to compete. It looks fine on paper, but Beverley has played 60 games once in the last five seasons. He is going to miss time, just like one has to figure LeBron and AD will. It is sad to point out that availability has been one of Westbrook’s strengths. Myles Turner would be, yet another, guy who now has a track record for regularly missing games. Given how few assets are at their disposal, I am not inclined to think moving future picks and giving up cap space next summer for more guys with track records of missing games helps them.

Hitster
    Participant

Hield with his shooting I think is worth taking on his contract runs the same as LBJ and AD’s and gives them a proven 3rd scorer.

Westbrook to Pacers for Turner and Hield plus Lakers sending pick or two is a sound deal. With them getting Beverley I did wonder whether Utah might have been landing place for Westbrook with Lakers taking some of Utah’s other complimentary players to free up cap space for Utah or if Westbrook becomes part of some multi team deal involving Mitchell leaving and Utah receiving assets from team who takes Mitchell but then taking on Westbrook’s deal with Lakers throwing a pick into Ainge locker.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login