This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Taylor Gang Mike 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    ChicagoCasey
    Participant

In my opinion, the Washington Wizards are the most underrated team in the league and the most underappreciated team in the league. Just two years ago they went back to back to the eastern conference simifinals. Yes, I know the it’s the eastern conference, but it still count. When I mention the Wizards being as high as the 5th seed it gets negative comments. Last years 3rd through 6th seed only won 48 games, last year the Wizards won 41 games. The Wizards won that many games when they dealt with a boatload of injuries, midseason changes, and poor coaching. This years Wizards team is the best that ever been in the John Wall era. Let’s dig deaper.

Let’s dig into the facts w/ last years Wizards team. John Wall was battling two major knee injuries that required him to have two knee surgeries (also dealing boat loads of other injuries), Bradley Beal missed 27 games, Nene missed 25 games, Gary Neal missed tons of games, Marcus Thornton missed time, and Alan Anderson missed 69 games. I know most will think Alan Anderson lost wasn’t a big deal,  but he’s a very good role player and is capable of making three point shots, Wizards lacked in that area. Marcus Thornton and Gary Neal both played roles off the bench. The Wizards were able to win 41 games given the fact that they best players were dealing with injuries and their key role players couldn’t stay on the court. 

On of the best moves last year was the trade to get Keef Morris, he made the Wizards great on defense when he started for the Wizards. The Wizards were 5th in the league in defense since he became the starter for the Wizards. W/ John Wall, Brad Beal, Otto Porter, Keef Morris, and Marcin Gortat, they have one of the most well balanced starting 5 in the league. I also believe they made great signings over the summer in bringing in a great back up center in Ian Mahinmi, the best overseas player outside Dario Saric and Dragan Bender in Tomas Santoransky, and two quality big man in underutlized Andrew Nicholson and PnP big Jason Smith. It’s not splashy, but the Wizards made a quality bench that is the best in the John Wall era.

The Wizards were a poorly coached team in the John Wall era. I know a lot likes to give Scott Brooks flack, but you cannot hide the fact that he knows how to develop talent and he led the Thunder to great heights. He was a top 5-6 coach when he was with the Thunder and he was the second best coach in free agency. This is the first compentent coach John Wall have ever had in the league. 

I’m not saying they will beat the Cavs or win the championship, but I’m saying that it wouldn’t surprise me that they won 45-49 games next year given the fact that they have an really impressive roster, John Wall is phenomenal, Bradley Beal is a serious breakout contender, and they finally have a coach. 

P.S. To the people that will Bradley Beal is injury prone. His injuries were growing pains, stress reactions. He grew an inch over the past year which caused it. Most won’t believe, but that makes perfect since in why he was getting the same stress reaction injury.

airguyton
    Participant

Wizards ain’t doin nothing jk they should be improved my Columbus bro trey Burke has a lot to prove plus john wall is a savage if they can be a 6 seed in the east they should be able to make it to the second round and get build from there hopeful get a three man Otto porter is gd but it’s too many dogs in the east Lebron melo derozan Giannis but all in all should be an exciting season

DolanCare
    Participant

I agree with you if Beal can stay healthy. If Beal misses another 27 games, I don’t see how this team can make the playoffs in an objectively deeper Eastern conference compared to last year. 

The concern is on offense. Without Beal, the offense would be forced to survive off of Wall getting over 10 assists a game via mid range pick and pops with Gortat and Keef or finding Gary Neal and Thronton in the corners. 

Jordo
    Participant

The most frustrating part about the John Wall Era is the poor coaching. As much as I loved the fact that Randy Wittman inherited a team who’s core started as Nick Young, Andray Blatche, Javale McGee, (w/ guys like Rashad Lewis and Jordan Crawford thrown in) and ended up getting the Wizards top 10 in defense a few years later wouldn’t have been easy for any one. But at some point you’ve got to be able to score efficiently. Wizards were and to a certain extent are still are terrible team at getting to the line. The whole team had the greenlight to shoot, so you ended up seeing guys like Nene, Kris Humpries, and Drew Gooden taking long 2’s with no hesitation. Bradley Beal who at that time came in 19-20 years old shooting around 39-40% from 3, taking long 2’s. And the Wizards really struggle to create offense if John Wall isn’t handling the ball for the majority of possessions. I’m optimistic about Brooks. Development of young talent is one thing he’s has proven and Wall and Beal have way more potential than what they’ve show. Also if he develops this Oubre kid into a stud,  man…

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

1. Have a set offense that needs to be ran. Brooks needs to let Wall flow and it cant be iso offense.

2. Give Oubre more minutes. The kid has star written all over him and Brooks needs to find a way to use him, maybe like he did with Harden or Waiters.

3. Health is Wealth. This team needs to stay Healthy 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login