This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers 3 years ago.

• Author
    Zouldiers
    Participant

Russell Westbrook is Mr. Triple Double. He sets the new all time record for most triple doubles surpassing Oscar Robertson at 182 and counting. Unfortunately, he missed the potential game winner which would have been huge. Anyways, congrats to him on the record

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

Great feat, amazing when you consider King James hasn’t reached 100 yet and had a 5 year NBA start on Westbrook.

2+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

If everyone could do it they would.

2+
    sniper
    Participant

He is without a doubt an expert at accumulating this particular combination of stats. He’s also shooting 44/32/65 and turns the ball over on 18% of plays (2nd highest among starting PGs). There are at least 15 guys I’d rather have as my PG.

He was a great player during his prime in OKC, and he deserves to get into the HoF. But he’s not a great player anymore, no matter the numbers he racks up.

1+
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Westbrook only had 8 triple doubles his first 6 seasons in the league. He has accumulated 174 in the 7 seasons since. Sometime in the 2014-15 season, when Durant was injured, Westbrook discovered the formula for racking up triple doubles on an almost nightly basis, and he seemed to make it his goal to chase as many as possible. You could argue that his stat-padding is selfish and detrimental at times, but his teams have an overall 136-46 record in games he finished with a triple double. Is it possible that other players could have broken this record if they put as much energy into it as Westbrook does? Maybe. But that still doesn’t take anything away from him. It’s one thing to have the will to do something and another thing to have the talent to actually pull it off. Regardless, this is a remarkable feat, and a record I never thought it would be conceivable for anyone to even seriously challenge until a few years ago.

4+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login