This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar IndianaBasketball 9 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

Looking like Indiana are genuinely looking to move him.

http://8points9seconds.com/2014/08/10/suns-decline-trade-roy-hibbert-chris-copeland-goran-dragic/#!bAJ9GK

This trade doesn’t seem totally unfair, but with the questions surrounding Bledsoe I wouldn’t be taking any offers till that is sorted.

The Pacers have also made contact with Detroit about Greg Monroe, no idea what they could offer that Detroit never hurts to ask though I guess.

doubledribbler
    Participant

Yeah that trade is completely unfair. An overpaid, slow, one dimensional center and a role player that would probably not play for Phx for a guy that was 3rd team all NBA and should have made the all star team with a very reasonable contract. Hibbert is coming off his worst season, while Dragic is coming off his best season. Phx likes to get out and go, Hibbert walks up and down the court very slow. I don’t see how you equal that out unless Indiana was offering a boatload of cash which I am sure NBA rules limits the amount. 

doubledribbler
    Participant

Yeah that trade is completely unfair. An overpaid, slow, one dimensional center and a role player that would probably not play for Phx for a guy that was 3rd team all NBA and should have made the all star team with a very reasonable contract. Hibbert is coming off his worst season, while Dragic is coming off his best season. Phx likes to get out and go, Hibbert walks up and down the court very slow. I don’t see how you equal that out unless Indiana was offering a boatload of cash which I am sure NBA rules limits the amount. 

Jordo
    Participant

Damn Hibbert and Copeland probably wouldn’t even nab you second round pick especially with Hibberts stock at an all time low. They really asked for Dragic for that? 

Jordo
    Participant

Damn Hibbert and Copeland probably wouldn’t even nab you second round pick especially with Hibberts stock at an all time low. They really asked for Dragic for that? 

festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

I would be lying if I didn’t think this trade favored Indiana, but people seem to forget what makes Hibbert so useful.

Think about it this way, how often did the Suns run an offense where all five guys were down that end of the floor? They were best in transition and in all honesty Hibbert does not really need to be a part of that.

Hibbert is great at blocking and altering shots right? So in saying that it would allow the Suns to get extra possessions game where Hibbert can force turnovers and guys like Bledsoe, Green, Tucker, Ennis and Warren even the Morris twins can go out on the run.

Just for those guys who think that it is totally unreasonable, however it didn’t happen.

Still do you think the Pacers could get Greg Monroe?

festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

I would be lying if I didn’t think this trade favored Indiana, but people seem to forget what makes Hibbert so useful.

Think about it this way, how often did the Suns run an offense where all five guys were down that end of the floor? They were best in transition and in all honesty Hibbert does not really need to be a part of that.

Hibbert is great at blocking and altering shots right? So in saying that it would allow the Suns to get extra possessions game where Hibbert can force turnovers and guys like Bledsoe, Green, Tucker, Ennis and Warren even the Morris twins can go out on the run.

Just for those guys who think that it is totally unreasonable, however it didn’t happen.

Still do you think the Pacers could get Greg Monroe?

omphalos
    Participant

If I were the Pacers I’d run the offense through Hibbert to start the season and drive up his trade value and then trade him off.

Now is the wrong time to do it.

It would also give them an opportunity to see what Hibbert has gained from his workouts with Abdul-Jabbar.

omphalos
    Participant

If I were the Pacers I’d run the offense through Hibbert to start the season and drive up his trade value and then trade him off.

Now is the wrong time to do it.

It would also give them an opportunity to see what Hibbert has gained from his workouts with Abdul-Jabbar.

nateval
    Participant

What about a deal of Crash Wallace and Rondo for Hibbert, non guaranteed deal of Scola and a first round pick. The money works 

nateval
    Participant

What about a deal of Crash Wallace and Rondo for Hibbert, non guaranteed deal of Scola and a first round pick. The money works 

NardDog Nation
      Participant

…but the rationale does not. What would be the point in trading for Rondo with Paul George out for a year and a half? In effect, the Pacers would be giving up assets (the first round pick) for the privilege of seeing Rondo walk in 2015. Does that make any sense?

nateval
        Participant

Rondo would be an upgrade over Geroge Hill and the Pacers would be able to pay Rondo the most money as a FA. Rondo is from Kentucky which is next to Indiana and is where Rondo grew up and went to school. Indian would no doubt be a frontrunner to sign him. They lost Stephenson they need to get another big time player to keep George happy and compete.  

benny15
          Participant

ive thought about your idea and i dont think its such a bad idea. i dont know about the first though. only thing i dont like is that this would leave the pacers with just ian mahinmi as the only center on a team whose defensive system revolves around a big man who rotates and contest a ton of shots. thats why its not surprising that hibbert and mahinmi are 1 and 2 in most contested shots for big men in the league. i can honestly say that if they do this, i suspect a coaching change sooner or later since they would have to adjust to new philisophy and approach with the pieces that they would have.

btw, heres an article that breaks down rim protecting stats and interpret on who contest the most shots, saves the most points when the paint is attacked, etc. nyloncalculus.com/2014/07/22/protecting-paint-sportvu-rim-protection/

benny15
          Participant

ive thought about your idea and i dont think its such a bad idea. i dont know about the first though. only thing i dont like is that this would leave the pacers with just ian mahinmi as the only center on a team whose defensive system revolves around a big man who rotates and contest a ton of shots. thats why its not surprising that hibbert and mahinmi are 1 and 2 in most contested shots for big men in the league. i can honestly say that if they do this, i suspect a coaching change sooner or later since they would have to adjust to new philisophy and approach with the pieces that they would have.

btw, heres an article that breaks down rim protecting stats and interpret on who contest the most shots, saves the most points when the paint is attacked, etc. nyloncalculus.com/2014/07/22/protecting-paint-sportvu-rim-protection/

nateval
        Participant

Rondo would be an upgrade over Geroge Hill and the Pacers would be able to pay Rondo the most money as a FA. Rondo is from Kentucky which is next to Indiana and is where Rondo grew up and went to school. Indian would no doubt be a frontrunner to sign him. They lost Stephenson they need to get another big time player to keep George happy and compete.  

NardDog Nation
      Participant

…but the rationale does not. What would be the point in trading for Rondo with Paul George out for a year and a half? In effect, the Pacers would be giving up assets (the first round pick) for the privilege of seeing Rondo walk in 2015. Does that make any sense?

Bmore_DC
    Participant

I would be shocked if the Pacers ended up with anything more than a salary dump/draft picks for Hibbert. He makes the max and looked TERRIBLE in the playoffs. 

With that being said, if a team like Portland, PHX, Toronto, or OKC could steal him by throwing say Perkins and some picks at the Pacers, i would do it. Hes still 7’2 and can help any team that needs a center. I just think now IS the time to trade Hibbert because if you do get some prospects/young guys for him, id want THEM to play and develop, because weve all seen what Hibbert can and cant do. 

NardDog Nation
      Participant

I think that the Knicks should actually step up into the fray. They have a glaring hole at the 5 spot with Tyson Chandler gone and could use Hibbert’s length, for better or worse. They have plenty of expirers and a Shane Larkin/Iman Shumpert to get the deal done. Maybe they could even expand the deal in an attempt to acquire Indy’s role players because I don’t see guys like David West and Luis Scola at 33 and 34 years old, standing idly by on a lottery team.

NardDog Nation
      Participant

I think that the Knicks should actually step up into the fray. They have a glaring hole at the 5 spot with Tyson Chandler gone and could use Hibbert’s length, for better or worse. They have plenty of expirers and a Shane Larkin/Iman Shumpert to get the deal done. Maybe they could even expand the deal in an attempt to acquire Indy’s role players because I don’t see guys like David West and Luis Scola at 33 and 34 years old, standing idly by on a lottery team.

Bmore_DC
    Participant

I would be shocked if the Pacers ended up with anything more than a salary dump/draft picks for Hibbert. He makes the max and looked TERRIBLE in the playoffs. 

With that being said, if a team like Portland, PHX, Toronto, or OKC could steal him by throwing say Perkins and some picks at the Pacers, i would do it. Hes still 7’2 and can help any team that needs a center. I just think now IS the time to trade Hibbert because if you do get some prospects/young guys for him, id want THEM to play and develop, because weve all seen what Hibbert can and cant do. 

NardDog Nation
    Participant

Trying? If they were trying, they wouldn’t pursue a third team all-NBA talent with a dud. If they want to move Hibbert, they are going to have to accept taking back an expirer and either a prospect or some 2nd rounder ala the Bargnani to NY deal a year ago.

NardDog Nation
    Participant

Trying? If they were trying, they wouldn’t pursue a third team all-NBA talent with a dud. If they want to move Hibbert, they are going to have to accept taking back an expirer and either a prospect or some 2nd rounder ala the Bargnani to NY deal a year ago.

mixtape2003
    Participant

Well I think the Pacers went after Dragic is because it is unlikely if  Bledsoe get a max deal like he is asking then they prob will not keep Dragic cause he prob would demand a max deal too. I agree that the deal does work in the Pacers favor but if this trade was proposed a year ago everybody would have said the suns was getting the better deal.

mixtape2003
    Participant

Well I think the Pacers went after Dragic is because it is unlikely if  Bledsoe get a max deal like he is asking then they prob will not keep Dragic cause he prob would demand a max deal too. I agree that the deal does work in the Pacers favor but if this trade was proposed a year ago everybody would have said the suns was getting the better deal.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

If the Pacers are going to trade Roy Hibbert, they should wait. He’s a better player than what his trading stock suggests right now. 

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

If the Pacers are going to trade Roy Hibbert, they should wait. He’s a better player than what his trading stock suggests right now. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login