This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar bjcart53 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    valentine

I thought PJ would be getting consistent minutes this year and would enter the draft, I had him on my preseason mock around that 20-23 range.

He’s been given 20 mpg this year and is getting 13ppg-4rpg-1.5apg.

Transfer that to 40 minuter per and you get…… 27ppg 7.7rpg 3.7rpg.
    With the increase in minutes in the last two games, look at his production….

He was given 34 minutes against Duke (because Roy apparently wanted to win) and he dropped 23pts 8reb east

Today he dropped 29pts and grebes against virginia. (Cant wait to watch that game).

He could even be a better prospect than Mcadoo.

GlenTaylorSucks
    Participant

Hairston and Bullock both have been playing very well lately. The reason they’re not being talked up as much is because McAdoo has the pedigree (being Bob’s kid) and had much more hype coming in than either of them. That said, I really don’t know what Hairston’s role in the pro’s would be. I don’t think he’s a starting caliber player, but I think he could be a good player off the bench. I actually like Bullock more as a pro, cause he has more explosive scoring capability. That said, both of them have lower ceilings than McAdoo, but they also may have higher floors.

On an unrelated note, Roy Williams is one of the most overrated coaches in the country. Why he hasn’t been playing the same starting lineup that he did against Duke all season is beyond me. He’s starting to lose some of his recruiting mojo, and he’s also not a great X’s and O’s guy. As a Tar Heel, I want him out and someone else to take his place. Maybe they could lure Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart to UNC?

Kyrie Irving

Wouldn’t it be good for PJ to loose a couple lbs?

ncballer

As a UNC fan I am pretty mad at Roy. PJ Hairston is UNC’s best player and was sitting on the bench until the Duke game. He is the only one on UNC’s team that can somewhat create his own shot and might be our second best rebounder. UNC is a much more dangerous team when he is on the floor.

As far as comparisons, it is hard to come up with. He is 6’5″ 220 lbs. with great athleticism and a wet jumper. I think a taller Marcus Thornton is probably the closest thing I can think of. He would be a great 6th man or instant offense off the bench or a good 3rd option.

You really think Bullock has more explosive scoring ability? He is a better defender, but PJ’s scoring per minute this season is ridiculous. He has more dimensions to his game than Bullock does. Bullock doesn’t have much outside of being a spot up 3 point shooter. PJ while he needs to improve more with his handles and attacking the rim better has shown more potential in that area than Bullock. Not to mention Hairston is a MUCH better athlete.

ncballer

Kyrie, I can’t decide if he should or shouldn’t. He is really explosive as is (look at his dunks on FSU and Georgia Tech), and he is a good finisher at the rim due to his strength, doesn’t get pushed around. But I could see how losing a few would make him quicker when he needs to play his natural position of the 2 in the NBA.

rickybobby
    Participant

Pj to me is the most talented guy on the team. He can score in every way but gets caught up in taking alot of threes often. As a starter this year he’s averaging 22 points a game. UNC is at their best when he is on the court especially offensively. Roy put PJ in the starting lineup for strategic reasons against Duke and he finally has seen that with Hairston starting this team is different and plays with more of an edge. Hopefully he continue to use this lineup for the rest of the year. Because Hairston is slowly developing into their go to guy and leader.

Right now i would say he’s a late lotto guy in next years draft and thats because Roy not getting him the minutes he deserves. If he continue his play of late into the tournament he going to get 1st round consideration in this years draft. His talent level is high, he’s a good score, shooter, rebounder, and solid defender. If he gets into better condition that would really elevate his play. If he comes back next year you can almost pencil him in for a big breakout year.

ncballer

It’s amazing the progress he has made from last season. This was the guy who only played 8 min. in the sweet sixteen game last season and not being able to throw the ball in the ocean, to dropping 29 points in big games for the Tar Heels. The work ethic is there is what I am saying.

Sewok15
    Participant

It is a shame that they don’t have a good PG like Marshall to make their wings look even better. UNC has talent and you see glimpses of it but they still aren’t a good team. Hairston has good strength and a nice shot so he could be a late first rounder but I see him more as a 2nd round prospect at this point.

Lebron’s Hairline
    Participant

Joel Berry is coming guys, soon we will have a legit point guard

bjcart53
    Participant

Pj Is clearly the best prospect on the team. He and mclemore were on the wa same hs team and guess who was the betterprospect… It was pj. He got roy’ed. That is when coach roy williams keeps the more talented guy on the bench while a less productive player plays in front of him. Lawson behind frasor until frasor got hurt. Ginyard and green etc. pj is up there with the elite 2 guards he just is getting roy’ed. pains me as a unc fan to watch that happen. May ultimately cost us any chance with wiggins.

AwardedBaller
      Participant

Wait… PJ Hairston and Ben McLemore were never on the same high school team. Ben McLemore went to Oak Hill while PJ Hairston went to The Hargrave Military Academy. However, I do agree with you, Roy Williams seems to slightly hinder player development.

bjcart53
        Participant

My bad Awarded Baller +1 for that. I went to watch them play and they played against each other.

Malcolmx
    Participant

The Marcus Thronton Comparison was a good one, I love when people compare prospects to decent players and not these superstars. Also PJ is very good and if he were to stand to loose some weight,it should only be a little bit.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I think me and RUDEBOY had him going in the teens in our pre-season mock.

I am always intrigued with how Hairston will go…….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login