This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I got to see these two up close tonight and it was an competitive/physical matchup. Both players are so much alike physically. 

Rudy Gay came out with a point to prove and took the matchup personally. He embarrassed Paul George at both ends. He scored 22 points in the 1st half and locked George up. He held him to 5 points. Raptors led 46-44 at the half. 

Then the 3rd quarter started and George woke up. He put on an absolute clinic at both ends scoring 17 3rd quarter points and holding Gay to 2. Every shot Gay took was contested. I wanna say he missed his first 9-10 shots. It was damn near like George was glued to him. The entire Pacers team put on a clinic in the 3rd quarter holding the Raptors to just 13 poinsts.

Pacers ended up winning 91 and 84. Gay only scored 8 points in the 2nd half and ended with 30, 3 rebounds, 0 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks. George ended with 23 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 steals. Despite them having a lot of the same phsyiscaly traits and abilities, George really showed that there’s a huge difference between them. George is what people hoped Gay would be. An all around player who uses his physical gifts to lock down his opponents. George is also more unselfish and plays a better team game. He doesn’t rely soley on isolation hero ball clearouts.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Im a huge Rudy Gay fan,but Paul George is the better player (dam,that was hard to admit) lol…

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Im a huge Rudy Gay fan,but Paul George is the better player (dam,that was hard to admit) lol…

Ty Benjamins
    Participant

couple years ago people thought it was crazy to compare PG to Gay cause they thought gay was much better now Rudy not even on George’s planet

Ty Benjamins
    Participant

couple years ago people thought it was crazy to compare PG to Gay cause they thought gay was much better now Rudy not even on George’s planet

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Rudy doesn’t give 100% every game or every play..He always have had great games when he faces the elite sfs like Melo,Pierce, Durant and Lebron…He had some memorable game winning shots against Lebron and the Heat…

Surprisingly he defends PFs well….And he contributes in other areas like rebounding shot blocking and stls….He might put up efficent shooting numbers,but his talent caused teams to double team him..And Gasol and Z Bo could operate inside without the defense sagging in on them……Memphis offense has become so predictable and boring without him…

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Rudy doesn’t give 100% every game or every play..He always have had great games when he faces the elite sfs like Melo,Pierce, Durant and Lebron…He had some memorable game winning shots against Lebron and the Heat…

Surprisingly he defends PFs well….And he contributes in other areas like rebounding shot blocking and stls….He might put up efficent shooting numbers,but his talent caused teams to double team him..And Gasol and Z Bo could operate inside without the defense sagging in on them……Memphis offense has become so predictable and boring without him…

flopdownD

I just checked out all of PGs games on YouTube, I hadn’t had a chance to watch him this year.

it looks like he has carried over his conference finals excellent play right into regular season. Dude is beasting hard and he makes it look effortless, sort of like Lebron in that way. Also it looks like he has added legit "go-to" scoring to his arsenal.

I would take George over Harden.

flopdownD

I just checked out all of PGs games on YouTube, I hadn’t had a chance to watch him this year.

it looks like he has carried over his conference finals excellent play right into regular season. Dude is beasting hard and he makes it look effortless, sort of like Lebron in that way. Also it looks like he has added legit "go-to" scoring to his arsenal.

I would take George over Harden.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

I used to have such high hopes for Rudy Gay.  He averaged 20-6-2 in his second season in the L as a 21 y/o and I thought he’d flourish and be the star Memphis needed eventually.  That never happened.  Now he’s just a volume scorer that plays too much hero ball and not enough defense.  He’ll never win a title unless he’s the 3rd option.  Maybe the 2nd option if he decides to start defending to his potential consistently.

ahuang16
      Participant

Toronto is kind of in a jam because no one will take Rudy no matter that he has a player option this season, and they want to move him because everyone north of the border wants Wiggins.  But I didn’t realize what a problem he was when I saw he has a player option for 19mil next season.  What player would turn that down?

ahuang16
      Participant

Toronto is kind of in a jam because no one will take Rudy no matter that he has a player option this season, and they want to move him because everyone north of the border wants Wiggins.  But I didn’t realize what a problem he was when I saw he has a player option for 19mil next season.  What player would turn that down?

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

I used to have such high hopes for Rudy Gay.  He averaged 20-6-2 in his second season in the L as a 21 y/o and I thought he’d flourish and be the star Memphis needed eventually.  That never happened.  Now he’s just a volume scorer that plays too much hero ball and not enough defense.  He’ll never win a title unless he’s the 3rd option.  Maybe the 2nd option if he decides to start defending to his potential consistently.

DipoTime
    Participant

I was actually there too, my first time with VIP tickets so I got to chill in The Locker Room. Those were the exact same things I was going to point out.. And fans were chanting MVP for George at the end of the game when he was shooting those free throws, that was cool. 

DipoTime
    Participant

I was actually there too, my first time with VIP tickets so I got to chill in The Locker Room. Those were the exact same things I was going to point out.. And fans were chanting MVP for George at the end of the game when he was shooting those free throws, that was cool. 

Hitster
    Participant

Rudy Gay is a very good player and is a proven NBA scorer but I would agree that Paul George is already perhaps the better player and he has been in the NBA 4 years less. Rudy seems to have a consistent peak of 18 to 20ppg across his career but Paul promises to be over a 20ppg career player and a regular all star.

Hitster
    Participant

Rudy Gay is a very good player and is a proven NBA scorer but I would agree that Paul George is already perhaps the better player and he has been in the NBA 4 years less. Rudy seems to have a consistent peak of 18 to 20ppg across his career but Paul promises to be over a 20ppg career player and a regular all star.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login