This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard- BothTeamsPlayedHard- 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Was busy past few days, but who do you think Pacers hire? Candidates are: Mike D’Antoni, Mike Budenholzer (if fired), Terry Stotts, Brian Shaw. I think Mike D’Antoni will get it unless Budenholzer gets fired I could see them going with him over D’Antoni.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

D’Antoni could be a good candidate, but they should do some roster moves with him on board. Tbh though they should go with someone new imo.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

They already said they want someone with NBA Head Coaching experience after taking a flyer on Bjorksen and that not working out with a first year coach.

1+
    RUDEBOY-
    Participant

omg! where is indiana basketball when we need him?

the pacers may be looking for someone more stern,but a player relatable coach..becuz according to several reports the atmosphere was poison..players hated bjorsen approach to the game and his attitude…..there were several shouting outbursts between players and coaches during games and in practices…

2+
    Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

D’antoni. Obviously

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

For me,. it’s between Terry Stotts or Mike D’antoni. Stotts had great success in Portland, and continuously led the Blazers to the playoffs, and most of the time past the first round. He’s done so mostly with one player spearheading the team, Damian Lillard. So there’s no doubt if Indy is forced to have one player lead them to victories, Stotts can help them get there. That one player could very well be Sabonis.
    As for D’antoni, I’m not quite sure if his fast style of play and shooting 3’s like no tomorrow style of play would work in Indy. Sabonis can shoot 3’s, but he’s a better passer, rebounder and mid-range shooter. Myles Turner is better down low and on Defense, then he is on offense. Brogdon and Levert should both work because they are both big point guards who can play with PG or SG. (Levert can even play SF too), and D’antoni seems to help PG’s play much better then anybody thought possible. Just look what he did with Jeremy Lin in New York! But if you only have two players in your starting 5 who are able to work with him, and they aren’t even the team’s best player in Sabonis then can you really succeed with him? I agree with Norrin Radd, if he’s on board they will have to do some major roster moves and I’m not quite sure they are ready to take that route. Major roster moves usually means time in the draft lottery and possibly even the NBA cellar rebuilding, and as much as some teams succeed and are just fine rebuilding like that, and are better for it, Indy is not one of those teams. They have consistently made the playoffs year after year and have succeeded with continuity so much that bringing in a coach who will demand several roster moves would not help this team get past the first round, which is what they want to do. I think Stotts may be the better option unless Budholzer becomes available.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

D’Antoni would be a solid pick and for a contending team his age of 70 is less of an issue. If Doonie Walsh is still a Pacers advisor then he worked with Mike at the Knicks and his views could carry some weight.
    Walsh, Bird and Kevin Pritchard always liked good character guys so might they go for a more disciplinarian type coach.

If D’Antoni did come and the roster needed refreshing it would be fun to see Pritchard actively doing deals again as his draft day moves with the Blazers were always fun to follow. Plus he is the sort of proactive GM who could give the roster a good makeover.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Rick Carlisle is in the mix.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Carlisle is at the point where he should choose anything he wants that’s open imo. Pacers make sense.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Steve Clifford is in the mix for the job as well.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Rick Carlisle is the hire for round 2 with the Pacers.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Carlisle is still a very good coach. Indiana made a huge mistake firing McMillan a year ago. Coaches dictate issues of importance, and if the coach doesn’t value defense it is hard to be a good collective unit. They also got incredibly unlucky with the Caris LeVert and TJ Warren ailments and injuries. If they hit on #13 with a guy like Trey Murphy and stay healthy, they can really move up in the East. They have two good big men, and Goga should be able to take a step forward. LeVert and Brogdan need a little time to acclimate to one another. McConnell and Sumner are solid behind them. Another two-way wing who can shoot, especially on who is bigger than Justin Holiday, would really hit the spot for them.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Trey Murphy at 13? I mean I do think he can be worth that pick when we look at a redraft in 5 years but seems like a bit of a reach.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Rick Carlisle is going to go to Indiana and get to re-implement his own system and inject life into that franchise. Theres quite a few coaches we see do this. Everywhere coach Bud goes this happens. Dantoni is the obvious one. Indiana has alot of pieces for Carlisle to play with and should be considered a sleeper in the East with this change. They really need Turner healthy.

It should be interesting to see how Jason Kidd does if he gets the Mavs job. He took some time off being a head coach and went to the Lakers, won a championship as an assistant coach and now going back to being a HC does he have more to offer? Maybe we get to see more “spill my drink!” tactics.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I get the “worth the pick” argument when guys are risky or lack upside. Kai Jones and JT Thor aren’t good right now, but there can be no denying if they develop with their physical makeups can make you look silly. Where do you take them when they could end up a top ten player from the draft but also could end up with the Liaoning Flying Leopards because they are raw? Josh Primo was just a role player, but would be highly likely to shine if he goes back to Alabama and is the man. It is tough to place him. I don’t get “worth the pick” when the guy is good on both ends, has prototype size, more than enough athleticism, and can shoot it. Saddiq Bey dropping to #19 made no sense on draft night. Murphy, Petrusev, and Dosunmu are players. If people are ok with the idea of Corey Kispert going highly because he is an elite shooter, why not Murphy (or for that matter Wieskamp)? They all have to be assessed as elite shooting prospects. Kispert has the highest profile, but physically is less impressive than Murphy or Wieskamp. There is really no difference between Keon Johnson and Dosunmu, but Dosunmu used two years to develop. Same size and length, both athletic, and are competitive, but only one can shoot and create for others. We have no assurance that comes around for Johnson. Why should there be a gap in draft range. Senguin is smaller than former Wizard Chris Singleton, and was dwarfed by Sertac Sanli, but the point is Singleton. Singleton was drafted to be the 3-4 who could defend multiple positions. He fell out of the NBA, but guys of his physical makeup are all over the NBA. Senguin has some skills, but he isn’t going to defend anybody. If he is small enough that teams aren’t going to be afraid to go center-less (I think calling lineups with a 6-7, 6-8, 6-9 or 10 frontline small to be technically inaccurate) on him, then he is going to have a hard time transitioning to the NBA. Petrusev was just as dominant, displayed a more diverse skillset, has already lived in the US and knows the American game (and excelled at Gonzaga a year ago when they also could have won the NCAA tournament), and has the height and length of a center (with the expectation that he will gain muscle as his time in the NBA progresses). If you can swallow Senguin in the first, there is zero reason to think Petrusev is a 2nd rounder. Zero.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login