This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hazel 9 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Hazel
    Participant

I think that orlando has two  big needs, the first is obviously PG, and the second is a PF wtih athleticsm and size.  I see a scanario where they like Vonleh enough to consider him at #4 and if they think they can get their PG at #12, then why not?

Would you rather have:

1) Exum/Saric (if he is there and he may not be, he may pull out altogether or he may not come over like Vasquez).

2) Exum/Wing scorer or Adrein Payne

3) Vonleh and your pick of Lavine/Ennis/Payton

I can really see Orlando liking their odds with option number three what do you think?

he_gets_buckets
    Participant

I think the need at point is greater then their need for a 4 man, as they have Harkless, Harris, Nicholson, and O’Quinn who they’ve drafted/acquired in the past 3 years who all spend minutes at the power forward spot. Add to that, that the perceived upside of Exum is higher than Vonleh’s, I think you go with Exum + whoever they like at 12, whether that be a shooter like Stauskas, or a reach on a Euro who is climbing boards in Kristaps Porzingis.

he_gets_buckets
    Participant

I think the need at point is greater then their need for a 4 man, as they have Harkless, Harris, Nicholson, and O’Quinn who they’ve drafted/acquired in the past 3 years who all spend minutes at the power forward spot. Add to that, that the perceived upside of Exum is higher than Vonleh’s, I think you go with Exum + whoever they like at 12, whether that be a shooter like Stauskas, or a reach on a Euro who is climbing boards in Kristaps Porzingis.

Ballinmvp
    Participant

A Exum and Oladipo Backcourt Sounds tantalizing if I were GM. I like the Exum at 4 and BPA at 12 approach.

Ballinmvp
    Participant

A Exum and Oladipo Backcourt Sounds tantalizing if I were GM. I like the Exum at 4 and BPA at 12 approach.

Conezd
    Participant

As much as I think they would benifit most  across the board by taking a PF at #4 (personally I think Randle is the better pick over vonleh) and filling the PG need at 12 because there are a few pgs going to be available there that are good quality,  I just think if they go with Exum at #4 they stand the best chance at hitting a home run with him. He does seem to have incredible player potential and if they have him in workouts and think he has "it" then they need to grab him. And it’s obvious these days having a great point gaurd is essential to just stay competitive. They can get a good shooting wing at 12, a McDermott or a James Young and play Harris at PF where he can hold his own on the boards and he has a decent post game. 

Conezd
    Participant

As much as I think they would benifit most  across the board by taking a PF at #4 (personally I think Randle is the better pick over vonleh) and filling the PG need at 12 because there are a few pgs going to be available there that are good quality,  I just think if they go with Exum at #4 they stand the best chance at hitting a home run with him. He does seem to have incredible player potential and if they have him in workouts and think he has "it" then they need to grab him. And it’s obvious these days having a great point gaurd is essential to just stay competitive. They can get a good shooting wing at 12, a McDermott or a James Young and play Harris at PF where he can hold his own on the boards and he has a decent post game. 

Magic Jordan
    Participant

I know 12 might be a reach for Payne, but if they do go Exum at 4 like everybody thinks they will, why not Payne?  At that spot you can’t say that anybody is for sure better than him, players with more upside? Sure… but despite his age, he is a great athlete, and will be able to stretch the floor for both Exum and Dipo.  I think he would be the perfect fit next to them and Vucevic.  Not to mention he is a good culture guy and had a great college coach.  Maybe they could trade down a few spots and secure another asset if they think 12 is too high for him, but I like the fit.

high floor
      Participant

I like Adreian Payne a lot for the Magic’s 2nd lotto pick. I actually prefer the fact that he’s an upperclassman. He’ll be able to contribute quicker than other PF prospects within that range of the draft. He has a refined offensive skill set, can stroke it from 3, and has a great maturity to his game. Also, although the stat sheet didn’t reflect it so much, I think he could develop into a good rim protector with his length/timing/bounce. He just needs to be coached up a little in that regard.

The question is whether or not they can trade down instead of reaching at 12 to get him? Even if they can’t, I would still be happy to grab him there.

Reports have been released that Smart is coming to Orlando for a 2nd workout, which IMO is a strong indication that they are considering selecting him over Dante Exum (if available at 4). I’m torn on who the Magic should take at 4. Mostly because all great teams have an identity, and a Smart/Oladipo backcourt would eventually give the Magic the best defensive backcourt in the league. But Exum just oozes so much potential.. In Hennigan we trust!!

high floor
      Participant

I like Adreian Payne a lot for the Magic’s 2nd lotto pick. I actually prefer the fact that he’s an upperclassman. He’ll be able to contribute quicker than other PF prospects within that range of the draft. He has a refined offensive skill set, can stroke it from 3, and has a great maturity to his game. Also, although the stat sheet didn’t reflect it so much, I think he could develop into a good rim protector with his length/timing/bounce. He just needs to be coached up a little in that regard.

The question is whether or not they can trade down instead of reaching at 12 to get him? Even if they can’t, I would still be happy to grab him there.

Reports have been released that Smart is coming to Orlando for a 2nd workout, which IMO is a strong indication that they are considering selecting him over Dante Exum (if available at 4). I’m torn on who the Magic should take at 4. Mostly because all great teams have an identity, and a Smart/Oladipo backcourt would eventually give the Magic the best defensive backcourt in the league. But Exum just oozes so much potential.. In Hennigan we trust!!

Magic Jordan
    Participant

I know 12 might be a reach for Payne, but if they do go Exum at 4 like everybody thinks they will, why not Payne?  At that spot you can’t say that anybody is for sure better than him, players with more upside? Sure… but despite his age, he is a great athlete, and will be able to stretch the floor for both Exum and Dipo.  I think he would be the perfect fit next to them and Vucevic.  Not to mention he is a good culture guy and had a great college coach.  Maybe they could trade down a few spots and secure another asset if they think 12 is too high for him, but I like the fit.

vulture711
    Participant

Picking 4 & 12 – why is this a quandy ?  Stop whining

Hazel
      Participant

Because they are in a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation. Not a problem but a rather difficult decision. If Efrid Payton or Lavine ends up better than Exum and Vonleh is the next Bosh somebody in Orlando is losing their job. That is not “whining” that is asking an “intelligent question.” Would you like those two terms defined as well?

Hazel
      Participant

Because they are in a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation. Not a problem but a rather difficult decision. If Efrid Payton or Lavine ends up better than Exum and Vonleh is the next Bosh somebody in Orlando is losing their job. That is not “whining” that is asking an “intelligent question.” Would you like those two terms defined as well?

vulture711
    Participant

Picking 4 & 12 – why is this a quandy ?  Stop whining

slash787
    Participant

They need to take Exum if he is there. That would give them Exum/Nelson at the 1. Oladip/Afflalo at the 2, Tobias and Harkless at the 3/4 with Nicholson to back up, Vucevic/O’quinn at the 5. That is a solid rotation. They can take the best player on the board at 12 and probably a shooter to space the floor. Orlando would be foolish to not leave this draft with a PG of the future. 

slash787
    Participant

They need to take Exum if he is there. That would give them Exum/Nelson at the 1. Oladip/Afflalo at the 2, Tobias and Harkless at the 3/4 with Nicholson to back up, Vucevic/O’quinn at the 5. That is a solid rotation. They can take the best player on the board at 12 and probably a shooter to space the floor. Orlando would be foolish to not leave this draft with a PG of the future. 

Memphis Madness
    Participant

You can solve your quandary by trading the 4th pick and the 12th pick to Memphis for the 22nd pick.  Then you could take Jarnell Stokes to be your power forward.

Now Memphis would have the "problem" of what to do with the 4th pick AND 12th pick.

If you guys decide to do the agonizing thing and stay at 4 and 12 then take the best player available at 4.  Also lean towards taking the best player available at 12, too.  Or, just pick from a group of guys, then go with the guy that fits your needs the most.

The 2015 draft is a power forward draft.  Get your power forward next year.  I wouldn’t bet the farm this year on Vonleh.  Aaron Gordon, who knows?  Julius Randle should be good, but if he is not the best player at 4, don’t take him.  … I think Stokes is as good as those guys so maybe you guys try to get a late first or early second round pick. 

Mitch McGary could also be a solid player for you. 

Memphis Madness
    Participant

You can solve your quandary by trading the 4th pick and the 12th pick to Memphis for the 22nd pick.  Then you could take Jarnell Stokes to be your power forward.

Now Memphis would have the "problem" of what to do with the 4th pick AND 12th pick.

If you guys decide to do the agonizing thing and stay at 4 and 12 then take the best player available at 4.  Also lean towards taking the best player available at 12, too.  Or, just pick from a group of guys, then go with the guy that fits your needs the most.

The 2015 draft is a power forward draft.  Get your power forward next year.  I wouldn’t bet the farm this year on Vonleh.  Aaron Gordon, who knows?  Julius Randle should be good, but if he is not the best player at 4, don’t take him.  … I think Stokes is as good as those guys so maybe you guys try to get a late first or early second round pick. 

Mitch McGary could also be a solid player for you. 

Hazel
      Participant

“a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation”
      not a problem, just not certain. Seems that Chad Ford has the same thoughts as me, see mock 7.0.

Hazel
      Participant

“a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation”
      not a problem, just not certain. Seems that Chad Ford has the same thoughts as me, see mock 7.0.

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Marcus Smart and Vic O in the Backcourt just sounds to good and looks to good.. I think they should draft smart

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Marcus Smart and Vic O in the Backcourt just sounds to good and looks to good.. I think they should draft smart

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login