This topic contains 63 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by NorrinRaddNorrinRadd NorrinRadd 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

While Cooper Flagg got to get a scrimmage in against team USA, Puerto Rico let Lithuania have it in the Olympic qualifier… Jose Alvarado and company stayed nice and disciplined and played within the game. The backcourt outplayed Lithuania’s. Sabonis had a good, but not dominant game… Got to say though Puerto Rico was also at home which helped…

The USA basketball team isn’t ready yet at least from a scrimmage standpoint but will obviously be the team to beat with the talent on the team, especially once they put things together. Doubt they dominate like in some years past and won’t do what the U17 team just did to Italy in the championship game but are still the big favorites. (The younger Boozer, Peat and AJ Dybantsa were unstoppable)

Any thoughts on who else will challenge team USA? Imo Spain is on a downward trajectory, and France is the other team to beat.

Anton1234
    Participant

Talent-wise Canada and France are obviously closest to the US. Both teams have a whole bunch of quality players and a true star (Wemby and Shai), but Canada always seems to underperformed in these tournaments.
    I think one thing France has going for them is that their players are way more used to the courts and rulesets. I mean, Wemby has spent most of his life playing under FIBA rules, he should be way more comfortable than your typical NBA star.

2+
    raybeas
    Participant

Group A:
    Canada
    Greece
    Australia
    Spain

Group B:
    Germany
    France
    Brazil
    Japan

Group C:
    USA
    Serbia
    Puerto Rico
    South Sudan

The top two in each group and the two best third place teams advance to the knockout round.

Here are the odds from DraftKings:
    Team Odds
    USA -390
    Canada +900
    France +1000
    Serbia +1300
    Greece +1900
    Germany +2800
    Australia +4500
    Spain +5000
    Brazil +10000
    Puerto Rico +30000
    South Sudan +30000
    Japan +30000

Germany beat Canada in the 2023 World Cup, and the US lost to Serbia in the bronze medal game.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I actually like the top 9 teams. lol! Of course USA should be the favorite. France though have been very cohesive and competitive. Germany just beat them albeit in a friendly matchup without Wemby, but they looked pretty good.

Canada could win it – but you’re right, they seem to underperform. I like their talent too, but not sure they put it together quite yet.

Hitster
    Participant

I’ll have to get up to speed with the various rosters as the Olympics are so busy. Here in the UK we are in the last week of the European Football Championship with England somehow in the semi finals so that is the main sports at the moment. Also Wimbledon is in full swing along with several other major summer sports.

After the end of the NBA season , the draft and FA market opening I’m just catching a breath as far as basketball; goes.

Anyway apart from some fun watching Team USA my main Olympic basketball interest will be watching any prospects not in the NBA playing and seeing how they do against the best in the world.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

HanSen Yang is playing in glimpses… he’s doing pretty good – when he plays. China is hiding him though and it’s a little sad because the team isn’t great. I’m confident he’ll be good by his limited time he’s getting even though. And he’s playing NBA guys atm.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

forgot to clarify, China has been playing against summer league teams – not the Olympics.

Hitster
    Participant

I’ll have to dig out the Yang footage as I want to get a handle on how he matches up potentially. I’ve seen some of the rosters and there are a lot of well known names both current and former NBA players outside of the powerhouse teams.

Khaman Maluach might be one of the most interesting prospect draftwise at the games.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

It’ll be really interesting to compare Maluach at the end of the draft process from the games… He’s still pretty raw atm and might get a rude awakening at the games.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I think France lacks enough shooting to be a real threat. It was their downfall last year, and adding Ntilikina, Coulibaly, and Albicy doesn’t address it. It will be interesting to see how Wemby and Gobert play together. If it works, it could be something the Spurs consider a year from now when they have a world of assets and cap flexibility while the Timberwolves battle the second apron. Ultimately, I feel as though teams are going to zone them. Nadir Hifi would have been someone who could have made shots. He’ll go to Vegas with the Timberwolves instead, though I wish he would have chosen a better spot. With Dillingham, Shannon, Jaylen Clark, Daishen Nix, and their G-League trio of Javonte Cooke, Gabe Kalscheur, and Nojel Eastern, I am not sure how many minutes there will be for him. The rostered guys always get minutes, and the G-League guys have the advantage of knowing what the team wants.

Canada matches up well with the US. The likes of SGA, Murray, Dillon the Villain, NAW, Wiggins, and Barrett could match up well 1-4 with the US likely “main” lineup of Curry, Ant/Booker, LeBron, Durant, and Davis or Embiid. Will the US play a style that will allow Embiid or Davis to have their advantage against Olynyk, Birch, Kabengele, or Powell? Otherwise, it might be a race to 110.

Serbia, obviously, could get them on the right night. Jokic will be able to deal no matter who the US throws at him, and if Marko Gudurić, Vanja Marinković, Vasilije Micić, and Bogdan Bogdanović are hitting, then anything can happen. They are definitely going to be the one shot and don’t let them get out and run team. At 13-1, I kind of like them.

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

Wemby playing with a more physical bigman anchor behind him is an interesting thought. I know you said Wemby didn’t play as well when Pops tried it last season. They could in theory have got in a position to draft Clingan or even taken Edey this year. But Gobert is an interesting thought for the Spurs as he has proven he works with KAT.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Hansen Yang was actually up against Jake “Sloth” Stephens when China played the Hornets. So it’s nice to see one of this site’s cult heroes getting another chance. Also for Yang to meet the legend that is Sloth.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Kawhi out of Team USA and has been replaced by 4th best player on the Celtic’s team. Looks like Grant Hill made this decision.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

USA and Canada looked like they weren’t quite there yet during their exhibition. Statistically last year White was just as good as the others, but yeah I’d agree when everyone’s healthy he’s probably the 4th best player on Boston.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

White is an excellent player but it just shows how good the Celtics roster is.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Canada is really giving it to France right now in a friendly matchup.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Australia looked better than Spain who really looks like they’re not the same anymore.
    Looks like Germany is handling Japan like expected…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

France vs Brazil is going to start soon… Brazil’s not bad, but they’re just not France. I think France handles Brazil. Boring prediction I know – but on paper if you look at the rosters, how could you not think the same? I do like Gui Santos though, he’s underrated. Hope he has a good game.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

It took France long enough… at first they forgot to show up and then they let Brazil back in the game before closing it out. Gobert needs to do more. Wemby was a little sloppy and they still won.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Canada vs Greece going to start soon… hope this is a good game, Papagiannis brings some good long time defense in the interior. Canada is loaded though so not picking the upset… Canada should beat Greece pretty good on paper.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Canada escaped Greece.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

France just doesn’t have the guard play to be a threat. I really think Nadir Hifi should have been on this team. A few years from now, they could be great. Add in Hifi, a more developed Coulibaly, and Risacher. Wemby will have more maturity to his game. Gobert could still be around if he wants. Yabusele is a good player when he keeps his weight down. Maybe the likes of Nolan Traore, Salaun, Sarr, Melvin Ajinca, Armel Traore, Matthew Strazel, Ousmane Dieng, and/or Ryan Rupert develop. Maybe Frank Ntilikina’s career hits its stride back in Europe, and maybe Killian Hayes does the same after his tank warrior season in Brooklyn. They won’t all come around, but it should be a very deep pool in the near future.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Canada has the opposite issues. They lack the rim protection France has. Canada was having problems with Greece earlier today. If only they could combine teams…

Hitster
    Participant

With so many Olympic sports to see the basketball doesn’t get a lot of coverage here in England so keeping up with it is limited as I like to watch the other sports and there is a hell of a lot of other sports away from the Olympics I’m into.

Blast from the past to hear about Papa G – a good european player who was just drafted too young and too high. He has gone on to have a nice career in Europe and playing for his country so has done okay.

I agree France could well be the main challengers to Dream Team in 2028 with all their young talent barely scratching the surface.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Imo Papagiannis at his prime would be about where Hassan Whiteside was if Papagiannis decided to stay in the NBA. I think he was better paid to play elsewhere.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

I missed the early game between South Sudan and Puerto Rico… from the looks of the box score though, South Sudan could be for real as far as being a competitive team. They lost only by a point in an exhibition to USA and I admit I thought it was a fluke. But Puerto Rico has played well lately and just got beat by South Sudan. All it takes is a good game/bad game here or there and in this format you need a little luck. Maybe South Sudan plays Cinderella… who knows?
    I’m eager to watch the USA vs Serbia game in about an hour. USA should win with the talent across this roster, they’re my pick… but it wouldn’t shock me if Serbia pulled off an upset here. Teodosic playing at a high level atm. Don’t know if he can hang with the USA guards, we’ll see.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

USA dominating so far. Looks like they are kicking it up a notch. It’s theirs to lose in these games…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Joker is keeping them in the game and playing phenomenal

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

LeBron came to play today… USA is pulling away with this

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Guys like Carlik Jones being unable to stick in the NBA is why people acting as though Bronny James being gifted a roster spot and guaranteed years just don’t get it. Small guards have such a high bar to clear to get a chance in the NBA. Jones was excellent in the G-League, and has killed it in FIBA. The teams of the league are just not interested, but every talking head thinks it makes sense for the Lakers to give three guaranteed years to try to develop Bronny.

As for Canada, regardless as to whether Edey works out in the NBA, he should be a very useful big man in FIBA in the next cycle. I also think Leonard Miller could develop into a rangier 4 option. Charles Bediako probably left college before his game was ready for the NBA, but some team will invite him to their training camp to get him on their G-League team. It isn’t likely he develops, but possible. There are a few interesting big men Canadians in college basketball who could develop. Frank Mitchell is someone to follow this coming year at Minnesota. He started out at a Canadian college, dominated, transferred to Canisus and dominated, and is now headed to the Big Ten. He is paint-based big who might partner well with Dawson Garcia. Nana Owusu-Anane is an All-Ivy big man. The Pistons have Tosan Evbuomwan on a two-way, and they are on the similar side. When Enoch Boakye entered college, he was viewed as a potential one-and-done at Arizona State. Did he figure things out at Fresno State, or was the Mountain West more forgiving for someone with his size and athleticism? It is possible he does well at Villanova.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Josh Giddey’s having a game right now… close one against Canada. So far he’s out playing SGA…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Tale of 2 halves… Canada’s pulling away with this one… Good effort across the board especially for RJ Barrett again… He’s been playing well. Giddey slowed down – Australia has no chance in this one. They look tough to beat though. Patty Mills has to play better.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

France should be destroying Japan right now… Japan actually had a good half until the final minutes. There is no guard play for France, at this point Batum should just bring the ball up court. It’s pretty bad at times. I still expect them to hold on and win by even more, but sheesh – not sure they can pull it together when they play a good team atm.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Wow, France barely escaped that one. They’re not very cohesive.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I am still trying to find that foul.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOKdviyJzA

If that doesn’t get called, game over. If Rui doesn’t get tossed, they probably win. France just isn’t built to go far in this tournament.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I agree… Brazil is really going toe to toe with Germany atm… tied at half. Had a feeling Brazil would at least beat the spread. Looks like they will and they have a chance of winning this game.

Hitster
    Participant

I enjoyed the Spain vs Greece game today, Giannis was clearly the best player on the court but Spain had more depth and got a big halftime lead. Greece got back into it but never retook the lead and Spain closed the game out. Santi Aldama did a great job guarding Giannis and also put up 19 points and 12 rebounds.

Rudy Fernandez went off injured and had to be helped back to the locker rooms so I hope that his Olympics isn’t over.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Looks like Germany wins this one against Brazil. Schroeder and Franz Wagner too much.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Puerto Rico vs Serbia about to start…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

So far Serbia having their way even with some resting.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

USA vs South Sudan on the way…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Came in late this morning, Greece is having their way with Australia.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Greece escapes the Aussie comeback. Next up Canada takes on Spain…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Wow, Canada escapes in spite of collapsing in the 2nd half.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

France vs Germany has all signs pointing to a good game… we’ll see. Germany has been playing better lately – should be interesting…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

This isn’t even close. France stinks. They have no answer for Germany’s backcourt and Franz is on fire too.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

My Nadir Hifi truthering is getting worse by the game.

With them as the hosts, and the basketball community largely finding Wemby to be quite endearing at this point, it would have been nice if they were better. It is a shame, but the future is still bright.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

France should have just played their younger players.

USA is probably going to dismantle Puerto Rico in a bit here…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Serbia vs South Sudan… I’m taking Serbia of course… but I’ll be flipping between that and track and field.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

looks like it’s Serbia

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Knockout stage next:
    Aug. 6 Germany vs. Greece 5 a.m. ET – Germany’s my pick here, although Giannis has been losing his mind lately.
    Aug. 6 Serbia vs. Australia 8:30 a.m. ET Australia somehow pulls it off, I think. Should be a good game.
    Aug. 6 France vs. Canada 12 p.m. ET Canada should win this one, although that wasn’t my original prediction.
    Aug. 6 USA vs. Brazil 3:30 p.m. ET I’ll probably miss this game, but USA will likely destroy Brazil.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Serbia vs Australia going to start soon… I’m expecting a close game.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

FIBA competitions really are a testimony to how good small guards have to be just to sniff the NBA. Patty Freaking Mills!

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

This has to be the craziest game so far… Australia just dominated the start of the game and well Serbia owned Australia in the second half… Going to OT.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Wow, what a comeback from Serbia! Giddey had a good game but his turnovers, including that last costly one gave them no chance.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

France vs Canada coming up… hopefully it’s a good and close game… Canada has been better lately but we’ll see…

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Who said Jamal Murray doesn’t make anyone around him better? He definitely made France better today.

Rough summer.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Yeah that game was weird. Wemby had his worst game probably. Then the Gobert thing. France still pulled it off. USA crushing Brazil atm.

Hitster
    Participant

Got some of the Greece vs Germany coverage on the TV today. Greece ahead early but Germany pulled back and went clear. At one point Giannis was almost guarded how Wilt used to be. There were 4 German players surrounding him when he had the ball on the 3 point line!

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

France vs Germany should be a good one, although Germany is off to the start.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

France just beat Germany… next up rematch between USA vs Serbia!

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Wow, Steph Curry and USA pulled that one off in dramatically late fashion…

Hitster
    Participant

In the women’s match between USa and Nigeria I thought it was awful how in the final seconds a US player threw the ball against a Nigerian player as she hadn’t run down the clock how the entitled team US player thought she should have done with US having the game well won.

Good to see Bethany Griner playing again as last I had heard of her she was in a Russian jail.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

That Serbia vs Germany game was pretty good in the wee hours of the morning… Jokic messed around and got a triple double. Micic had a game. Schroeder didn’t have his normal swagger.

France has to be big underdogs here. USA should dominate this game tbh… SHOULD.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login