This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 3 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

While Cooper Flagg got to get a scrimmage in against team USA, Puerto Rico let Lithuania have it in the Olympic qualifier… Jose Alvarado and company stayed nice and disciplined and played within the game. The backcourt outplayed Lithuania’s. Sabonis had a good, but not dominant game… Got to say though Puerto Rico was also at home which helped…

The USA basketball team isn’t ready yet at least from a scrimmage standpoint but will obviously be the team to beat with the talent on the team, especially once they put things together. Doubt they dominate like in some years past and won’t do what the U17 team just did to Italy in the championship game but are still the big favorites. (The younger Boozer, Peat and AJ Dybantsa were unstoppable)

Any thoughts on who else will challenge team USA? Imo Spain is on a downward trajectory, and France is the other team to beat.

Anton1234
    Participant

Talent-wise Canada and France are obviously closest to the US. Both teams have a whole bunch of quality players and a true star (Wemby and Shai), but Canada always seems to underperformed in these tournaments.
    I think one thing France has going for them is that their players are way more used to the courts and rulesets. I mean, Wemby has spent most of his life playing under FIBA rules, he should be way more comfortable than your typical NBA star.

2+
    raybeas
    Participant

Group A:
    Canada
    Greece
    Australia
    Spain

Group B:
    Germany
    France
    Brazil
    Japan

Group C:
    USA
    Serbia
    Puerto Rico
    South Sudan

The top two in each group and the two best third place teams advance to the knockout round.

Here are the odds from DraftKings:
    Team Odds
    USA -390
    Canada +900
    France +1000
    Serbia +1300
    Greece +1900
    Germany +2800
    Australia +4500
    Spain +5000
    Brazil +10000
    Puerto Rico +30000
    South Sudan +30000
    Japan +30000

Germany beat Canada in the 2023 World Cup, and the US lost to Serbia in the bronze medal game.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I actually like the top 9 teams. lol! Of course USA should be the favorite. France though have been very cohesive and competitive. Germany just beat them albeit in a friendly matchup without Wemby, but they looked pretty good.

Canada could win it – but you’re right, they seem to underperform. I like their talent too, but not sure they put it together quite yet.

Hitster
    Participant

I’ll have to get up to speed with the various rosters as the Olympics are so busy. Here in the UK we are in the last week of the European Football Championship with England somehow in the semi finals so that is the main sports at the moment. Also Wimbledon is in full swing along with several other major summer sports.

After the end of the NBA season , the draft and FA market opening I’m just catching a breath as far as basketball; goes.

Anyway apart from some fun watching Team USA my main Olympic basketball interest will be watching any prospects not in the NBA playing and seeing how they do against the best in the world.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

HanSen Yang is playing in glimpses… he’s doing pretty good – when he plays. China is hiding him though and it’s a little sad because the team isn’t great. I’m confident he’ll be good by his limited time he’s getting even though. And he’s playing NBA guys atm.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

forgot to clarify, China has been playing against summer league teams – not the Olympics.

Hitster
    Participant

I’ll have to dig out the Yang footage as I want to get a handle on how he matches up potentially. I’ve seen some of the rosters and there are a lot of well known names both current and former NBA players outside of the powerhouse teams.

Khaman Maluach might be one of the most interesting prospect draftwise at the games.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

It’ll be really interesting to compare Maluach at the end of the draft process from the games… He’s still pretty raw atm and might get a rude awakening at the games.

BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I think France lacks enough shooting to be a real threat. It was their downfall last year, and adding Ntilikina, Coulibaly, and Albicy doesn’t address it. It will be interesting to see how Wemby and Gobert play together. If it works, it could be something the Spurs consider a year from now when they have a world of assets and cap flexibility while the Timberwolves battle the second apron. Ultimately, I feel as though teams are going to zone them. Nadir Hifi would have been someone who could have made shots. He’ll go to Vegas with the Timberwolves instead, though I wish he would have chosen a better spot. With Dillingham, Shannon, Jaylen Clark, Daishen Nix, and their G-League trio of Javonte Cooke, Gabe Kalscheur, and Nojel Eastern, I am not sure how many minutes there will be for him. The rostered guys always get minutes, and the G-League guys have the advantage of knowing what the team wants.

Canada matches up well with the US. The likes of SGA, Murray, Dillon the Villain, NAW, Wiggins, and Barrett could match up well 1-4 with the US likely “main” lineup of Curry, Ant/Booker, LeBron, Durant, and Davis or Embiid. Will the US play a style that will allow Embiid or Davis to have their advantage against Olynyk, Birch, Kabengele, or Powell? Otherwise, it might be a race to 110.

Serbia, obviously, could get them on the right night. Jokic will be able to deal no matter who the US throws at him, and if Marko Gudurić, Vanja Marinković, Vasilije Micić, and Bogdan Bogdanović are hitting, then anything can happen. They are definitely going to be the one shot and don’t let them get out and run team. At 13-1, I kind of like them.

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

Wemby playing with a more physical bigman anchor behind him is an interesting thought. I know you said Wemby didn’t play as well when Pops tried it last season. They could in theory have got in a position to draft Clingan or even taken Edey this year. But Gobert is an interesting thought for the Spurs as he has proven he works with KAT.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Hansen Yang was actually up against Jake “Sloth” Stephens when China played the Hornets. So it’s nice to see one of this site’s cult heroes getting another chance. Also for Yang to meet the legend that is Sloth.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Kawhi out of Team USA and has been replaced by 4th best player on the Celtic’s team. Looks like Grant Hill made this decision.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

USA and Canada looked like they weren’t quite there yet during their exhibition. Statistically last year White was just as good as the others, but yeah I’d agree when everyone’s healthy he’s probably the 4th best player on Boston.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

White is an excellent player but it just shows how good the Celtics roster is.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login