This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar doubledribbler 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Jon Rothstein: Sources: The NCAA has officially added criteria for agents who wish to represent student athletes testing the waters for the NBA Draft. Criteria: Bachelor’s Degree; Certified with NBPA for a minimum of three years; Take an in-person exam at the NCAA Office in Indianapolis.

This is beyond stupid by the NCAA. I bet this doesnt last more than a few years if that. This isnt even about Rich Paul its about the kids that have deadbeat family members, friends or trainers representing them that misguide them and make them go pro to earn some easy money. NCAA is just protecting their assets. What the NCAA doesnt understand is those same people will just suggest the kids dont even go to college and instead go straight to G-League, Australia, China or whatever.

This is screwed up beyond belief. I’d imagine there are alot of agents who have been working their asses off in preperation for next years draft and have invested alot hoping for those paycheques. NCAA messing with peoples livelyhood.
    Zouldiers
    Participant

We could definitely see a lot of these HS kids forgo college altogether but Rich Paul is a smart man and he’ll find a way to manipulate these rules.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

The idea of having standards makes all the sense in the world. It goes without saying that are already a ton of sleezy people around talented young athletes looking to make money off them. Having guys pretend to be legitimate representatives, but really are little more than loan sharks looking to get their hooks in someone close to a big payday, is not a good thing. Having a resume, 3-years experience, is fair. The NBPA can spot a fraud in that time. The ability to pass a certification exam is as well. Knowing the rules is not a discriminatory practice, and probably a good thing for the players these guys want to represent. The college degree is probably not necessary, but the NCAA is an organization that represents universities. Generally speaking, it is difficult to find very many non-college graduates working anywhere at universities beyond janitorial, physical plant, or kitchen staffs. You can’t be a head coach without a degree. At some schools, they won’t hire a head coach of any sport without a masters. It shouldn’t be stunning that they put that in there, regardless as to whether it is really needed.

OhCanada-
      Participant

The main issue isnt really inforcing the rule. The issue I have is the way they immediately imposed the rule. If the requirements are an agent has to have been certified by the NBPA for a minimum of three years they should have set the starting date three years from now so any legitimate agent could take the steps necassary to meet the requirements. Instead they are just opening up avenues to even more shady dealings being done by channeling certain players through associated agents to bypass the rule. 

mowesten
    Participant

Every profession has standards. I’m kind of surprised agents don’t have law degrees and aren’t licensed and regulated already.

But ultimately, however, life is a product of survival of the fittest. You either figure it out or you don’t and there is only so much that can be done to protect you from yourself.

If we’re perfectly okay as a society with grandma sending her social security check to Benny Hinn or Peter Popoff then we should be okay with someone who is about to be a multi millionaire getting advice and entering into contractual obligations with whoever the choose. 

Doesn’t affect me either way.

HobbyOG
      Participant

Back in the day Agents were guys with law degrees..this era the Agents have lawyers on payroll to look over the contracts…

The Goat
        Participant

This surprises me too actually. I think they should be qualified and licenced, whether that needs a degree or not is something else, but there has to be some kind of professional accountability and code of practice that is enforceable or you should theoretically just get a mob figurehead to negotiate your deal, then pay a lawyer to check the contract. I’ve never thought about it I guess, but I didn’t realise agents like Rich Paul are just mouthpieces. Very surprised NBA players – grown men – lack confidence to negotiate and establish contacts with teams need guys like this to do it for them as agents, then they still need to pay lawyers to do the essential part of the job – checking over the contracts..?! Surely that’s all one role. It’s like getting your mother come with you for a job interview or when your boss wants to talk with you.

Andv1 Waiting
    Participant

I can see why both sides do and don’t want this to happen:

NCAA want to put this in play to stop Rich paul/Rich paul type agents from having players bi pass college either via overseas or what Darius did with his NB internship which effects their product money earnings.

and

Paul wants this not to happen so he can capitilize on the following:

Eventually trying to get college players paid. IF he was the Agent that forced this through somehow he would have something no agent ever could accomplish

Making sure Paul probably slows down NCAA money earnings if he can get Big names even early for example lets say player a) is not ready for the NBA draft but could be ready 1 year later for a weaker draft he already has his in at an even younger age. Or he gets players to not play for NCAA at all .

He probably wants to make as much noise possible while Lebron still popular so his own legacy is fully established with a very big portfolio of players, as I could also see some NBA teams not wanting to fully deal with him soon after the A.D debacle..So the more players on the books the more leverage he will still have.

He has work experience and plenty of it but if this minor thing was the one piece of paper could stop him from earning even more he definitely wouldn’t like this rule passed.

Could both sides eventually come to like each other/make it work, maybe but I see one if not both sides trying to make it as hard as possible for the other to not succeed.

HobbyOG
    Participant

Twisted way it helps Rich Paul…think about it, this rule is for kids who "may want to go back to college" that’s not even Rich Paul target market..he wants top 10 picks…This helps him because now the kids who think the NCAA is crap will sign with Rich Paul to piss off the NCAA OR skip college all together and get that Darius Bazley or whatever his name is deal…dude skipped college, got a $1 million intern with New Balance and was still selected in the first round…A Rich Paul client…imagine how much money Jalen Green could make doing this next year…

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I don’t think people understand how the NCAA works. They just enforce the rules. The members of the committee for men’s basketball oversight are the main ones working on the reform for basketball. 

Rich Paul is like the only one in LeBron’s crew to not have a major degree. Go check out the resumes of LeBron’s lawyers, accountants, etc and see if they have degrees lol. 

The NCAA isn’t targeting Rich Paul smh. They’re just trying to make sure these college athletes don’t get screwed over. 

doubledribbler
    Participant

I think a lot of people are forgetting how the NCAA operates. They don’t care about the athletes, especially if they are not making money off them. Paul just got a kid a million US dollars for an internship. Zero sacrifice of his body. When it came out what some of these players were getting paid, we know that they are worth 6 figures under the table.

I get that some people point to standards, but the NCAA, the "amateur" league doesn’t need to be the one to impose those. That needs to be up to the NBA. The NCAA doesn’t have to worry about the scum from the outside when you look up the things that they are their institutions allow to go on (Penn State, Nassir, fake courses, Rick Pitino, etc).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login