This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard- BothTeamsPlayedHard- 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Was at the Houston-Oregon game November 22, 2020 (thank you College-Basketball Reference) and was hanging out in the media section with some people I knew. There was a scout there who was shoveling peanuts into his mouth and dropping the shells everywhere, watching Houston warming up. Quentin Grimes had thankfully been immediately eligible, and along with Nate Hinton were worthwhile NBA prospects to watch, along with the Ducks having a few players.

This scout then said “when was the last time a player transferred and became a first round pick”? Luckily, fresh in my memory, was Brandon Clarke. Either way, the scout said that transfers becoming good NBA players is not something that happens often. On Viseland this week, we discuss the NCAA transfers (not JUCO), who are currently in the NBA. We mind most were undervalued, and many went to more acclaimed programs. Plus, we have a definitive answer of the GOAT transfer (it may kind of be cheating, but this guy did transfer).

https://youtu.be/wlqNFvRBZes

What does everyone here think of the new one time transfer rule without having to redshirt? I think it is awesome. I hear it may affect the senior transfer rule in terms of if a player had previously transferred, I think both should apply without having to sit out. Also, any transfers this coming year who you still are high on as NBA prospects?

We name a few, am sure I left some out. We also talk about draft prospects who were transfers like Davion Mitchell, Jared Butler, Johnny Juzang and Quentin Grimes. Am thinking this rule could indeed mean a lot more transfers making the NBA, not to mention is just great for players trying to find their best fit without having to burn a year. Would love to know peoples thoughts on this. Appreciate any subscribers, likes, comments or shares.

2+
    Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Great observation by the scout. Generally anybody who stays more than a year in college is less successful

2+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

This was probably my favorite segment you guys have made. Great work here Mikey. Makes you wonder why ESPN doesn’t have content like this.

2+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

The change to the transfer rule is good for the game, and the players. For far too long, guys were left in a rough spot if their college of choice was a mistake, were left as the collateral damage of a regime change, or were simply underrecruited. Some college programs are dysfunctional, and it isn’t reflective of a player who didn’t catch it on the way in. They end up getting thrown into the same pool as guys with legitimate baggage.

Ultimately, there are going to be more transfers in the NBA, because the college game is being won by older teams. They are being incentivized to embrace older players. Baylor’s rotation had four juniors, two seniors, and two redshirt (in-transfer) sophomores. LJ Cryer played decent minutes early on as a true freshman, but wasn’t playing much later on. In 2019, Virginia won with their 2016 recruiting class, three juniors and two redshirt sophomores with only Braxton Key as an in-transfer. They were supported by a freshman and a senior in that rotation. In 2018, Villanova had four juniors, a redshirt sophomore, a redshirt freshman, and a pair of true freshmen at the bottom of the rotation. In 2017, North Carolina went nine deep with three seniors, three juniors, a pair of sophomores, and a freshman. The 2016 Villanova team had two seniors, three juniors, and then the sophomore and three freshmen who made up the core of the 2018 winners . The NBA likes freshmen, but the guys from the champs have done well, and continued to develop to dispel this notion that players max out growth potential in their early 20s. Josh Hart, Mikal Bridges, Jalen Brunson, and Donte DiVincenzo are important players on good (to middling in the case of New Orleans) teams. Ryan Arciadianco has hung around, but certainly a notch below the other four. De’Andre Hunter was having a breakout year prior to getting hurt. Ty Jerome is hard to assess because of the extreme extent to which OKC thinks losing by 30 helps their rebuild and that requires 30 minutes per from Maledon, Bazley, and Poku to guarantee it, but seems likely to hang around. Diakite did enough in the G-League bubble to get a guaranteed contract. I don’t think teams are going to fear taking Davion Mitchell or Jared Butler this year. As long as this holds, we will probably see the blue blood programs look at all options to have a mixture of one-and-dones and upperclassmen in the years to come. The problem with Duke and Kentucky right now is that even the guys who aren’t performing all that well still leave after one year. You can’t win if your are only hitting for singles in recruiting, and then see them leave after one year.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login