This topic contains 38 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar dmo21 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    ChicagoCasey
    Participant

The NBA playoffs format needs to change in a bad way. The competition is bad, the ratings are bad, and we are not seing the best vs. the best play. This has gone on for too long and it needs to be fixed. The NBA is putting ads on jersey’s and stuff like that, but it’s real priority should be fixing the NBA playoff format to the best of 16 teams to have a equal playing field.

I know most would say "what about the travel going from west coast to east coast", "what if the Knicks and Lakers have to go against each other in the first round", and "wha about the regular season schedules". This is not the 80’s, it’s 2016 where every team rides private planes to other cities, not going on a regular airplane. The NBA can make it work

This is the more logical way to fixing this junk. I probably not going to even going to watch tonights game 3 game because we already know the winner and the game is not entertaining anymore. Not a Cavs hater or anything, but the NBA needs to fix this mess, the Raptors wouldn’t make the Western Coference Finals this year and the Hawks wouldn’t make the Western Conference last year. To better the NBA you have to switch things up in the playoffs. The Eastern Conference playoffs ratings are bad because it’s no competition.

I know a lot of people will come on here and say that the east was just as good as the west this year in the regular season, but in the playoffs that’s a totally different story. There’s regular season "elite teams" (Raptors, Hawks) and there’s elite teams in regular and post season.

Again, not saying this as a way to discredit the Cavs or anything, but the NBA needs to fix this problem and this must be a prioriry to the league. The ratings are down, competition is low, and most years below .500 teams make the eastern conference playoffs. This have to be a priority than most of the things the NBA are trying to push.

Participant

The NBA could make it work, but they’d be reconfiguring their entire league structure and altering league history from that point on. I’m not sure they want to do that and I don’t know if the players association would allow it. It’s easy to say increased travel is no big deal when we aren’t the ones doing it, but the players association may have a very different opinion.

It’s odd how one conference becomes more dominate than the other so often. In the 90s the East was the best and the West had teams under .500 in the playoffs. Sometime in the late 90s early 2000s it switched and hasn’t switched back despite the fact that the East has won a few championships. This year was somewhat more balanced, but there were only 4 teams most would see as championship contenders Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, and Thunder.

Personally I don’t see a best 16 format occurring.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Do you actually.believe the NBA cares about the history of the game? If it’s best for the game,  Silver will fix it. The ratings for the eastern conference are dropping year to year and the competition is very sub-par. The NBA changed the hand checking because it will better the league, one and done, added the three point line, and did much more that changed the history of the NBA. This is why the NBA is great, because they aren’t afraid of history. If it’s best for the sport, then Adam Silver will fix it.

Participant

If it’s the most profitable option the NBA would more than likely attempt to make the change. They have to get the owners and players association on board which is not always easy. The prior changes you mentioned are easy to implement, but as you said it did effect history and the NBA doesn’t necessarily let history stand in their way. Choosing the best 16 teams for the playoffs is more complex and owners would likely want to prevent unintended consequences just like they most recently did when the league tried to alter the draft lottery. I imagine whichever conference is weaker would have owners voting against the change because the change would bump them from the playoffs.

This could be the type of change that Adam Silver might want to make, but the owners and players block.

Participant

If it’s the most profitable option the NBA would more than likely attempt to make the change. They have to get the owners and players association on board which is not always easy. The prior changes you mentioned are easy to implement, but as you said it did effect history and the NBA doesn’t necessarily let history stand in their way. Choosing the best 16 teams for the playoffs is more complex and owners would likely want to prevent unintended consequences just like they most recently did when the league tried to alter the draft lottery. I imagine whichever conference is weaker would have owners voting against the change because the change would bump them from the playoffs.

This could be the type of change that Adam Silver might want to make, but the owners and players block.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Do you actually.believe the NBA cares about the history of the game? If it’s best for the game,  Silver will fix it. The ratings for the eastern conference are dropping year to year and the competition is very sub-par. The NBA changed the hand checking because it will better the league, one and done, added the three point line, and did much more that changed the history of the NBA. This is why the NBA is great, because they aren’t afraid of history. If it’s best for the sport, then Adam Silver will fix it.

Participant

The NBA could make it work, but they’d be reconfiguring their entire league structure and altering league history from that point on. I’m not sure they want to do that and I don’t know if the players association would allow it. It’s easy to say increased travel is no big deal when we aren’t the ones doing it, but the players association may have a very different opinion.

It’s odd how one conference becomes more dominate than the other so often. In the 90s the East was the best and the West had teams under .500 in the playoffs. Sometime in the late 90s early 2000s it switched and hasn’t switched back despite the fact that the East has won a few championships. This year was somewhat more balanced, but there were only 4 teams most would see as championship contenders Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, and Thunder.

Personally I don’t see a best 16 format occurring.

aktriple
    Participant

how about the regular season is shortened and just before the playoffs a mini  regular season is played pitting each of the top eight teams in each conference against each other then seed them that way (sort of like the conference tournaments before the ncaa tournament but not single elimination)

Participant

Less games equal less money and no one is choosing less money if they have the choice.

Participant

Less games equal less money and no one is choosing less money if they have the choice.

aktriple
    Participant

how about the regular season is shortened and just before the playoffs a mini  regular season is played pitting each of the top eight teams in each conference against each other then seed them that way (sort of like the conference tournaments before the ncaa tournament but not single elimination)

Bankroll PJ
    Participant

The biggest difference is that the east only has 2, maybe three ELITE players. The NBA is hoping this situation fixes itself via the draft. The Sixers need whoever they draft to become a superstar and the Celtics need to find a way to land one via the draft or trade

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Disgree. The east have only one team that  rally win the NBA championship. The West have 4 teams that can win.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Disgree. The east have only one team that  rally win the NBA championship. The West have 4 teams that can win.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Bankroll PJ
    Participant

The biggest difference is that the east only has 2, maybe three ELITE players. The NBA is hoping this situation fixes itself via the draft. The Sixers need whoever they draft to become a superstar and the Celtics need to find a way to land one via the draft or trade

Hype Machine

Fans tune in for 2 things…interesting storylines & exciting contests. 

I havent seen either so Im not suprised ratings are down. What are fans meant to talk about with their buddies?

Id rate the West Playoffs a 5 out of 10 for entertainment.

Id rate the East a 3 out of 10 for entertainment.

Put this in comparison with March Madness, which was 10 out of 10 and the NBA needs to get its act together.

Theyre making so much money that Im starting to think they are getting lazy regarding the quality of product they’re putting out.

They got by in the regular season because of the Warriors record season and Kobes farewell but once that river ran dry its been ZZZzzz!

Hype Machine

Fans tune in for 2 things…interesting storylines & exciting contests. 

I havent seen either so Im not suprised ratings are down. What are fans meant to talk about with their buddies?

Id rate the West Playoffs a 5 out of 10 for entertainment.

Id rate the East a 3 out of 10 for entertainment.

Put this in comparison with March Madness, which was 10 out of 10 and the NBA needs to get its act together.

Theyre making so much money that Im starting to think they are getting lazy regarding the quality of product they’re putting out.

They got by in the regular season because of the Warriors record season and Kobes farewell but once that river ran dry its been ZZZzzz!

BeastMode716
    Participant

by bringing back stars from the West……………………

BeastMode716
    Participant

by bringing back stars from the West……………………

dmo21
    Participant

I don’t know why players don’t realize this and when they hit free agency, jump over to a decent eastern conference team? If what they really wanna do is win the championship, then that should be an easy choice. This is why I hope Durant goes to the Wizards. Then it would be KD verse Lebron in the eastern conference finals for the foreseeable future.

Also, if Valanciunas, Whiteside, and Bosh were all healthy, I think Toronto or Miami would have been a lot more competitive against Cleveland. 

doubledribbler
      Participant

Why would anyone go to the East though? The teams are ran horribly (Knicks, Nets, Bulls), the cities are not as nice (Cleveland, D.C.), the coaches are worse, and you’re more likely to end up with bum teammates. I don’t think that anyone is going to argue that LeBron is the best player in the East and he signs 1 year deals to make sure his owner keeps some talent around him. The path to the ECF might be easier, but it doesn’t matter if the team can’t put anyone around you.

I would give the Raptors one game with Valanciunas. Casey doesn’t know how to use him so he’s never as effective as he should be.

dmo21
        Participant

I agree with the Casey statement, so we will leave that alone.

Is the city that big of a deal? Shouldn’t winning and money have more to do with it? Players don’t have to live in that city (during the season they’re not around a lot anyways). This doesn’t seem to be a problem in other sports (NFL, MLB, NHL), so why are NBA players so picky?

However, bad organizations and bad drafting is bringing down the East. The majority of the "top" teams in the east are more middling and the teams at the bottom draft poorly and are run poorly, so it’s keeping them down.

However, I don’t think the top 16 team playoff thing will go through. That’s too much travel and the NBA playoffs are slow to begin with. We don’t need to add any more travel days.

dmo21
        Participant

I agree with the Casey statement, so we will leave that alone.

Is the city that big of a deal? Shouldn’t winning and money have more to do with it? Players don’t have to live in that city (during the season they’re not around a lot anyways). This doesn’t seem to be a problem in other sports (NFL, MLB, NHL), so why are NBA players so picky?

However, bad organizations and bad drafting is bringing down the East. The majority of the "top" teams in the east are more middling and the teams at the bottom draft poorly and are run poorly, so it’s keeping them down.

However, I don’t think the top 16 team playoff thing will go through. That’s too much travel and the NBA playoffs are slow to begin with. We don’t need to add any more travel days.

doubledribbler
      Participant

Why would anyone go to the East though? The teams are ran horribly (Knicks, Nets, Bulls), the cities are not as nice (Cleveland, D.C.), the coaches are worse, and you’re more likely to end up with bum teammates. I don’t think that anyone is going to argue that LeBron is the best player in the East and he signs 1 year deals to make sure his owner keeps some talent around him. The path to the ECF might be easier, but it doesn’t matter if the team can’t put anyone around you.

I would give the Raptors one game with Valanciunas. Casey doesn’t know how to use him so he’s never as effective as he should be.

dmo21
    Participant

I don’t know why players don’t realize this and when they hit free agency, jump over to a decent eastern conference team? If what they really wanna do is win the championship, then that should be an easy choice. This is why I hope Durant goes to the Wizards. Then it would be KD verse Lebron in the eastern conference finals for the foreseeable future.

Also, if Valanciunas, Whiteside, and Bosh were all healthy, I think Toronto or Miami would have been a lot more competitive against Cleveland. 

doubledribbler
    Participant

Let me ask you this. If you are a star player, what team in the East do you trust that you can go there and consistantly win? Chicago had no problem playing hardball with MJ and running off Phil Jackson, Cleveland was garbage pre and post LeBron, Atlanta has terrible fans and run an offense that doesn’t really look to maximize the touches of their best players. Miami is about the only decently ran team in the East on a year to year basis and they are likely going to have to overpay their aging and injury prone star player, while their other max guy probably shouldn’t be playing basketball anymore. On top of that, there is a good chance that these teams don’t draft anyone of any significance and struggle finding under the radar players.

In basketball one or two guys can take over a game. That’s a leverage that most of these other guys don’t have. Sure you might have a dominant pitcher, but even then he’s not playing every game. You can make it to the championship with one dominant player and spare parts in the NBA.

doubledribbler
    Participant

Let me ask you this. If you are a star player, what team in the East do you trust that you can go there and consistantly win? Chicago had no problem playing hardball with MJ and running off Phil Jackson, Cleveland was garbage pre and post LeBron, Atlanta has terrible fans and run an offense that doesn’t really look to maximize the touches of their best players. Miami is about the only decently ran team in the East on a year to year basis and they are likely going to have to overpay their aging and injury prone star player, while their other max guy probably shouldn’t be playing basketball anymore. On top of that, there is a good chance that these teams don’t draft anyone of any significance and struggle finding under the radar players.

In basketball one or two guys can take over a game. That’s a leverage that most of these other guys don’t have. Sure you might have a dominant pitcher, but even then he’s not playing every game. You can make it to the championship with one dominant player and spare parts in the NBA.

dmo21
      Participant

If I’m about winning and a star player right now in the league, there’s a bunch of teams I would go to in the East. I’m assuming that my play will bolster the team. Personally, I don’t care about fans (as they will come with winning) or what the city is like (I doubt they spend much time there). Here’s a list of teams I would think about going to (just in alphabetic order):

Atlanta: You have Horford, Millsap and Teague. A good coach who plays a brand a basketball that fits the new NBA. A star wing player would boost this team into the top 4 in the East.

Boston: Lots of good role players that would fit around a star player. This team also has a good coach for today’s basketball.

Chicago: Currently with Butler you already have 1 star. You have former/aging stars in Rose, Noah and Gasol. This team could drastically change in the future though.

Detroit: If I’m a shooter I want to play here with Drummond and Van Gundy. Think of the great stats and playoff runs Jameer Nelson, Redick, Turkoglu, and Rashard Lewis had with Dwight and Van Gundy.

Indiana: PG is a star and has played on teams before with good, established players (West, Granger, Hibbert). I think playing with him (as well as Turner) would be a perennial playoff team.

Miami: They are aging now, but they seem to always bring in guys and get the job done. I’d be weary about this one. But if Bosh comes back and they re-sign Whiteside, they’ll still be a solid team. Maybe I’ll be the guy that gets the torch from Wade?

New York: Seems like an odd choice, but Anthony is a star (people hate on him, but he is still a good scorer and I think if they started winning again he would be a lot more motivated) and you have Porzingis coming into his own. They are actually a well built team with role players (Afflalo, Lopez) that is mainly missing a point guard. If I’m a star point guard, I would highly think about coming here (hello Conley?).

Washington: You got Wall, you got Beal and you got Gortat. This team should do a lot better than they actually do. A star player, like myself, would bolster them up the standings in the East.

dmo21
      Participant

If I’m about winning and a star player right now in the league, there’s a bunch of teams I would go to in the East. I’m assuming that my play will bolster the team. Personally, I don’t care about fans (as they will come with winning) or what the city is like (I doubt they spend much time there). Here’s a list of teams I would think about going to (just in alphabetic order):

Atlanta: You have Horford, Millsap and Teague. A good coach who plays a brand a basketball that fits the new NBA. A star wing player would boost this team into the top 4 in the East.

Boston: Lots of good role players that would fit around a star player. This team also has a good coach for today’s basketball.

Chicago: Currently with Butler you already have 1 star. You have former/aging stars in Rose, Noah and Gasol. This team could drastically change in the future though.

Detroit: If I’m a shooter I want to play here with Drummond and Van Gundy. Think of the great stats and playoff runs Jameer Nelson, Redick, Turkoglu, and Rashard Lewis had with Dwight and Van Gundy.

Indiana: PG is a star and has played on teams before with good, established players (West, Granger, Hibbert). I think playing with him (as well as Turner) would be a perennial playoff team.

Miami: They are aging now, but they seem to always bring in guys and get the job done. I’d be weary about this one. But if Bosh comes back and they re-sign Whiteside, they’ll still be a solid team. Maybe I’ll be the guy that gets the torch from Wade?

New York: Seems like an odd choice, but Anthony is a star (people hate on him, but he is still a good scorer and I think if they started winning again he would be a lot more motivated) and you have Porzingis coming into his own. They are actually a well built team with role players (Afflalo, Lopez) that is mainly missing a point guard. If I’m a star point guard, I would highly think about coming here (hello Conley?).

Washington: You got Wall, you got Beal and you got Gortat. This team should do a lot better than they actually do. A star player, like myself, would bolster them up the standings in the East.

doubledribbler
        Participant

Like I said, there is no point going to the East. For the most part, teams in the West are ran better from scouting to coaching and the rosters are better. That takes care of the winning part. The best you can do is put yourself in the best position to win. Going to the finals on a one man roster in the East doesn’t mean much when you’re facing teams with 2-3 all stars, a better coach, and a gm that was able to surround the stars with better talent. Look at Golden State. They underpay Curry and Green and are able to overpay Bogut and AI.  They have Barnes and Ezeli on rookie deals. While Barbosa and Speights are not great, they are on contracts that any NBA team could have paid out and as situational guys, either guy could light you up for 20 in a game and you wouldn’t be shocked by it.

ATL: Horford’s the teams 2nd best player, but their scheme has moved him farther away from the basket. They basically use him like he’s Ryan Anderson now. Good general offensive and defensive scheme, but that team probably only has Milsapp back next year since they seem intent on trading Teague.

Boston: Yay, play with a bunch of ok role players and IT. Nice coach, but it’s really not that attractive without maybe bringing in two higher caliber players.

Chicago: That place is a mess. Butler didn’t want to run the coaches offense. Gasol is gone, Noah is likely gone, and Rose is likely playing his last year before he moves elsewhere. Also one of the worst medical staffs in the league and they never attract great free agents.

Detroit: Where your pg isn’t very good at passing and running a team and your best player is benched in the 4th.

Indiana: George is nice. Myles is interesting. From Vogel to McMillan…eh…

Miami: Aging Wade, ill Bosh. Does Whiteside keep his head once he gets paid? Coach doesn’t know if he wants to slow it down or run.

New York: You can’t talk about winning and mention NY. The guy heading their basketball operations was highly considering Kurt Rambis when many, many other good coaches were available. He also insists running an offense that seems no NBA players can run unless they are top 50 players of all time.

Washington: Beal can’t stay on the floor. Gortat plays hard and is overpaid.

doubledribbler
        Participant

Like I said, there is no point going to the East. For the most part, teams in the West are ran better from scouting to coaching and the rosters are better. That takes care of the winning part. The best you can do is put yourself in the best position to win. Going to the finals on a one man roster in the East doesn’t mean much when you’re facing teams with 2-3 all stars, a better coach, and a gm that was able to surround the stars with better talent. Look at Golden State. They underpay Curry and Green and are able to overpay Bogut and AI.  They have Barnes and Ezeli on rookie deals. While Barbosa and Speights are not great, they are on contracts that any NBA team could have paid out and as situational guys, either guy could light you up for 20 in a game and you wouldn’t be shocked by it.

ATL: Horford’s the teams 2nd best player, but their scheme has moved him farther away from the basket. They basically use him like he’s Ryan Anderson now. Good general offensive and defensive scheme, but that team probably only has Milsapp back next year since they seem intent on trading Teague.

Boston: Yay, play with a bunch of ok role players and IT. Nice coach, but it’s really not that attractive without maybe bringing in two higher caliber players.

Chicago: That place is a mess. Butler didn’t want to run the coaches offense. Gasol is gone, Noah is likely gone, and Rose is likely playing his last year before he moves elsewhere. Also one of the worst medical staffs in the league and they never attract great free agents.

Detroit: Where your pg isn’t very good at passing and running a team and your best player is benched in the 4th.

Indiana: George is nice. Myles is interesting. From Vogel to McMillan…eh…

Miami: Aging Wade, ill Bosh. Does Whiteside keep his head once he gets paid? Coach doesn’t know if he wants to slow it down or run.

New York: You can’t talk about winning and mention NY. The guy heading their basketball operations was highly considering Kurt Rambis when many, many other good coaches were available. He also insists running an offense that seems no NBA players can run unless they are top 50 players of all time.

Washington: Beal can’t stay on the floor. Gortat plays hard and is overpaid.

dmo21
          Participant

You are judging these teams as they are now. Just imagine what they would look like if they added a star (which is what the conversation is about). Star players increase winning and improve their teammates. Star players and winning bring in other star players and good veterans. If you’re a star player, you know you’re going to change the makeup of the team. Just imagine if KD went to any of these teams. Would that team not be a shoe in for the ECF? Seems like a much easier route than going through the west.

dmo21
          Participant

You are judging these teams as they are now. Just imagine what they would look like if they added a star (which is what the conversation is about). Star players increase winning and improve their teammates. Star players and winning bring in other star players and good veterans. If you’re a star player, you know you’re going to change the makeup of the team. Just imagine if KD went to any of these teams. Would that team not be a shoe in for the ECF? Seems like a much easier route than going through the west.

lalaila
    Participant

It is how it is. I wouldn’t change anything because its been like this too long.

Actually this year to get to the playoffs was much harder in the East than in the West, only thing is that Cavs are head and shoulders above eveeryone in the East while there are 3 team same level out West.

The problem is not here, the problem I think is that the gap between great and average teams got bigger.

How many times this year we saw huge blowouts? Even in the playoffs. Overall these playoffs wasn’t competitive either.

It was so easy to see it’s only 4 teams game this year

lalaila
    Participant

It is how it is. I wouldn’t change anything because its been like this too long.

Actually this year to get to the playoffs was much harder in the East than in the West, only thing is that Cavs are head and shoulders above eveeryone in the East while there are 3 team same level out West.

The problem is not here, the problem I think is that the gap between great and average teams got bigger.

How many times this year we saw huge blowouts? Even in the playoffs. Overall these playoffs wasn’t competitive either.

It was so easy to see it’s only 4 teams game this year

Hitster
    Participant

There is certainly more strength in depth at the top of the West and the West is likely to get even stronger as the likes of the Lakers and T-Wolves in particular evolve.

Ironically this year out East teams with better records missed out on the play offs than those out West after many years of teams out East with 38 to 40 wins getting 7 or 8th seeding.

There was the same arguement in the NFL in the 1980’s and 1990’s when an NFC team won the Super Bowl about a dozen times in a row and the NFC Championship game almost became a harder game to win than the Super Bowl itself.

Hitster
    Participant

There is certainly more strength in depth at the top of the West and the West is likely to get even stronger as the likes of the Lakers and T-Wolves in particular evolve.

Ironically this year out East teams with better records missed out on the play offs than those out West after many years of teams out East with 38 to 40 wins getting 7 or 8th seeding.

There was the same arguement in the NFL in the 1980’s and 1990’s when an NFC team won the Super Bowl about a dozen times in a row and the NFC Championship game almost became a harder game to win than the Super Bowl itself.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login