This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    kikikiki
    Participant

Any thoughts on the pending results?

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

idk, but so many outcomes could happen with the number one pick – depending on who gets it… seems like the first pick won’t have a huge advantage this year. I’m rooting for an unexpected first overall pick.

Hitster
    Participant

I’d not mind seeing Charlotte finally get a number 1 pick.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

I always feel the lottery should just be done when the play ins are over. The draftees have likely long packed their bags and left Uni. The lottery teams won’t be in the play offs unless they have got lucky with a trade and their front office have personnel to start talking to players anyway.

This year the top pick is almost a poison chalice as there are no clear cut guys at the top of the draft and having top pick means its almost a harder decision to make.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Idk, but I think it would be super funny if the Rockets got the top 2 picks…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Funny Atlanta gets the top pick…

BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Toronto went 3-20 to close in order to keep its pick, and lost it. Detroit was playing Tosan Evbuomwan and Chimezie Metu huge minutes to get every last lottery ball. Portland was playing Dalano Banton and its G-League the second half of the season to do the same. The revamped lottery system is beautiful. If only Washington could have been knocked down as well, but I guess their punishment is three more years of Jordan Poole.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Detroit and Toronto were the big losers IMO. Portland got Scoot last year so have a better prospect in him than anyone in this year’s draft,

Houston, Hawks and Spurs were the big winners. Houston was 0.500 and should be well above that next season. The Hawks can get into play off mix possibly next year unless they hit rebuild but they owe the Spurs picks in 25 and 27 with right to swap in 26 so rebuild is unlikely. Spurs have two top 8 picks to add depth around the best NBA prospect in a generation.

One thought I had was could Memphis look to flip their pick for a C on a rookie deal who is NBA proven rather than draft a rookie. Someone like Kessler from Utah or Eason from Rockets?

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I think San Antonio is a big winner, because they should have their choice of point guards. I also think there is a decent chance if they go point at #4 that they could still get Clingan at #8. I want to see a lineup where they can effectively play Wemby at the 4 to see how teams try to play it. Teams don’t like playing two bigs, but how could you not with that look? Atlanta won because it is always better to move up. I am a big fan of Risacher, but how much does he move the needle for a team committed to De’Andre Hunter, Bogdan Bogdanovic, and Jalen Johnson on the wings/forwards? They could go Alex Sarr, but does a Sarr/Okongwu grouping at the 5 really alter their outlook long-term? I think Sarr enters the league a bit like James Wiseman where there is potential. I don’t see a quick fix, and like Wiseman can see an avenue where it goes wrong. With Murray or Trae likely to emerge as their lead guard, I can’t see them them go for another small guard to see that same thing play out with a new name. Houston is another team where it is hard to see who moves the needle for them. They have Smith, Sengun, and Adams up front. It is hard to see anyone move into that rotation. I think Cam Whitmore is a better prospect on the wing than just about any wing in this class. Tari Eason was unavailable for much of the year, but also might be better than any of the combo forwards. They just drafted Amen Thompson. Are they going to take an L on him as a point guard and let him just be a defensive wing? How much does a small guard paired with Jalen Green and Fred VanVleet move the needle? It is always better to move up, but I don’t know if it will result in them going from 41-41 to something more. Remember, San Antonio will get better. Memphis will have its real team back. 6-2 against them could easily be 4-4 or 3-5. It is simplistic math, but the #3 pick will not equate to how much Memphis will get better and how much San Antonio could improve.

The NBA posted the combine data
    https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2024-25
    https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility?SeasonYear=2024-25

If you look at some of the guys with the big verticals, they also have interestingly short standing reaches given their height and wing span. I feel like some guys were coached on this one. It is like when they used to measure guys in shoes and out and guys would be adding 2-3 inches to their height.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

I agree whoever the Spurs takes at 4 it will affect who they take at *. If Clingan is still available then he is a no brainer to take at 8. I think him and Wemby would be an awesome combination and you’d have two huge guys who would be shot altering players.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

With the caveat that I think Detroit, Charlotte, and Portland would all love to trade out of their spots, it is hard to see any of them take a center. Detroit is committed to Jalen Duren and Isaiah Stewart. Charlotte didn’t have Mark Williams for much of the year, but I would argue that Williams is probably the most similar player to Clingan among active centers. Physically, stylistically, and production are quite similar. Given all that Charlotte needs, it would not make much sense to me unless there is something outside public knowledge as to why they would move on from him. It is also kind of why I am somewhat dubious of the idea of Clingan as a candidate for Washington. He is a nice prospect to add, but can he merit being the burden of being the face of a rebuild? To go into Year 2 of the rebuild with Jordan Pool, Bilal Coulibaly, and Donovan Clingan does not seem ideal. Portand has Ayton and Robert Williams on the books for two years. As an aside, they also guaranteed Duop Reath’s contract for next year when they knew they had two first rounders. They have 14 players under contract. The non-guaranteed players are Toumani Camara and Jabari Walker, both of whom they seem to like. If they add two first round rookies, somebody has to go. Are they going to trade Brogdon for a 2025 pick, and cut whoever they get back? Can they convince someone at #34 or #40 to take a two-way contract, will they have to sell them, or will they take an international player willing to stay off the books for a year or two? Anyway, it would seem to me that San Antonio could address both spots. The hard one to assess is Nikola Topic, because the knee issue came up again. I think he would be a natural plus-size point guard for them going forward, but having missed so much time since his move back to Red Star could make a team hesitant.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Portland, Detroit and Charlotte would have draft options IMO. It is likely that one or probably a couple out of Shepherd, Dillingham and Knecht would be available then. So Charlotte could put a shooter alongside LaMelo to replace the starter they traded away in Rozier. We don’t know what will happen with Miles Bridges either so that opens up spots for likes of Castle, Risacher and Buzelis if any are still on board then. I agree that if Williams is fit then Clingan makes no sense as they are too like for like.

Detroit have Duren as long term C and I think they need a shooter or could Castle be their glue guy. Portland again with Ayton in situ and Grant they have their starting frontcourt plus RW3 and Reath to fill out minutes so Clingan wouldn’t be a fit there so maybe he falls to Spurs at 8.

Clingan I agree is too much of a reach at 2 unless the Wizards would be happy to get a solid defensive anchor who may never be an All Star. They can easily return to the lottery next year and have a shot at Flagg, Ace, Edgecombe etc.

That also intrigues me with the Spurs, I could see Pops being in no rush to get back into contention when they could have a shot at some of the 2025 starlets.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login