This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by NorrinRaddNorrinRadd NorrinRadd 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Dog_ShammdogDog_Shammdog
    Dog_Shammdog
    Participant

The 2021 draft class is loaded, especially at the top, but the depth is great as well. There’s what would be borderline lotto talent in lesser draft classes throughout the 20-40 range & borderline 1st rd talent in many classes that could very well go undrafted . I believe the parity & depth will lead to many picks outperforming their draft range & multiple UFA’s that wind up having successful NBA careers.

So, which prospects do you believe are being the most underrated & overlooked? I’ll give one of mine.

EJ Liddell (OH St) – I think he’s likely to return to Ohio state, but he’s been super efficient & productive on both ends. Really plays within himself & just keeps expanding his game. He’s a reliable 3pt shooter & can bang down low. He’s a quality decision maker on both ends with good instincts & reaction time. He’s slightly undersized as a 6’7” PF, but makes up for it with great strength & quick, nimble feet. I think he has the potential to play the 3, but he’s such an asset as a modern 4 that I don’t see it as a necessity. I have a feeling he’s more popular with actual pro prospects than the wannabe talking heads on twitter. If Marcus Bagley is a borderline 1st rd talent, then EJ most certainly is. He has the potential to be a PJ Tucker level of 2 way player

Jaquori Mclaughlin (UCSB) – super productive in the big west. Shooting over 41% f/ 3 with good volume & a nearly 90% ft shooter. 6’4” w/ length & above average athleticism, but doesn’t rely on it. Creative passer & adept ball handler that plays w/ great pace & command, leading to a 4:1 AST:TO ratio. If he doesn’t go late 2nd, he’ll be a priority 2-way signing

Taevion Kinsey (Marshall) – I’ve seen him all over draftboards, but mainly in the mid 2nd of late. He’s a truly gifted run/jump athlete that’s probably only rivaled by Jalen Green & Keon Johnson in this draft class. Suffers a bit from being a big fish in a small pond, but the steady development bodes well. Has the requisite size & length of a 3&D wing but has shown potential as a shot creator, mainly by blowing by ppl w/ his great 1st step & stop & popping in the midrange where he just jumps over everybody for clean looks. But he can also get to the rim & finish with creativity. His 3pt shot has come a long way and looks viable, but will have to clean up the mechanics to be more translatable. Playmaking is going to be a swing skill for him bc a player w/ his gravity is destined to create open looks for others, he just needs to be able to efficiently get the ball to them. Hasn’t seemed hopeless in this regard, but hasn’t checked the box yet either. I think he’s a 1st rd talent & would benefit greatly f/ a 5:5 combine setting. Hopefully he gets in some pro runs w/ scouts present leading up to the draft.

1+
    Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

EJ Lindell is an interesting prospect.
    Plays a bit passive at times and needs to learn how to take over games.

I’d like to see a bit more “alpha” in him.

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

Out the 3 u Mentioned Only Kinsley is the only 1 i see getting drafted,possibly late 1st or early 2nd round..He reminds me former Oklahoma State guard and Slam Dunk Champ Desmond Mason..If his jump was more Consistent u will hear more about him as a lottery pick..

1.Isaiah Todd-6’9 G League..
    2.jason Preston-A 6’4 point guard from Ohio..
    3.Chris Duarte-6’6 Oregon..3 & D Wing with playmaking skills..But Age will hurt him..He’s about to be 24..
    4.Mojave King-6’6 Devin Booker Clone..U Will hear more about him near draft time..
    5.Christian Braun-Kansas

2+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Agree with RUDEBOY on Kinsley being the only prospected drafted off your list. I also peg him as a 1st/2nd round pick. hmmmm… underrated prospects:

players I would consider in the 2nd round nobody talks about:

Joshua Primo – FR – Alabama (youngest prospect probably)
    Mustapha Amzil – FR – Dayton
    Brandon Newman – FR – Purdue
    Efe Abogidi – FR – Washington State
    Justin Champagnie – SO – Pittsburgh
    Julian Champagnie – SO – St. John’s
    Jordan Miller – JR – George Mason
    DeVante’ Jones – SR – Coastal Carolina (admit haven’t seen this guy much but he gets a steal… or 5)

Players I would draft higher than where they seem to be on draft boards:

Greg Brown – FR – Texas
    Franz Wagner – SO – Michigan
    Allen Flanigan – SO – Auburn
    Juhan Begarin – 02′
    Josh Giddey – 02′

player that needs a shout out:
    Chandler Vaudrin – can play 3 positions and leads a now 1 loss team in almost every category statistically.

1+
    LionelHutzLionelHutz
    LionelHutz
    Participant

Moses Wright – SR Georgia Tech
    Jalen Pickett – JR Sienna
    Bennedict Mathurin – FR Arizona (probably 2022 draft though)
    Also Preston and Duarte as mentioned above, both really underrated

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

1.Vrenz Bleijenbergh-6’9 skilled point forward…
    2.Drew Timme-Could become another Brad Miller…
    3.Roko Prkacin-6’10-Croatian-
    4.Oliver Sarr-7 footer Kentucky
    5.Ibou Dianka Badji-7 footer Senagal
    6.Filip Petrusev-Former 6’11 center Gonzaga ..

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Both NBADraft.net and ESPN just updated their rankings today. Thoughts on the updates?

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

No surprise still the same consensus Top 5 not in any order in Suggs, Kuminga, Mobley, Cunningham, Green.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I’m starting – just starting to wonder now… do we have a 6th player to add to the top players??? The top 5 have been the consensus for a while now. But there is this player from Florida State by the name of Scottie Barnes who has really been showing off his skills lately. He’s got game. He has been playing like he is trying to prove he belongs in the top crowd.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
        NorrinRadd
        Participant

And now we have a debate if Barnes belongs 5th…

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Barnes likely goes Top 8 for sure.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Top 8 easily. But I think the draft right now is kind of set on the top 5, then Barnes is knocking on the door at 6 island. Then from 7 to about 20-25 are another story. Then there’s a ton of everyone else. Very good, deep draft.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Allen Dokossi could be an underrated prospect. Some international players in this draft I’m looking forward to seeing play. Dokossi is a DEC 14th 99′ (little older prospect), but he’s athletic and has a high motor. He’s thin for his frame (6’9″/200 lbs last I’ve seen) but has potential on both ends of the floor. He does a little bit of everything – still needs to work on his shooting range. Good court vision and is all over the court.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login