This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard- BothTeamsPlayedHard- 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Figured since the Lottery is set, I’d do a quick lottery mock… (no trades yet, not going by intel yet)

1 – Magic – Shaedon Sharpe (They need a wing and a star player. Sharpe might be the best prospect in the draft.)
    Maybe this could be one of the surprise picks of the 1st round as the top pick overall.

2 – Thunder – Jabari Smith (Thunder just need talent. Jabari plays well on both ends and might be BPA.)
    Thunder need great talent on both ends of the floor, and Jabari checks out fine here.

3 – Rockets – Chet Holmgren (Of the consensus top 5, Chet’s probably their best fit.)
    An Alperen Sengun + Chet Holmgren front court of the future could be a tough match.

4 – Kings – Paolo Banchero (Front court defensive liability, but Banchero is at least a frontcourt need.)
    This team lacks a star and Banchero might not be the best fit, but he is a potential star.

5 – Pistons – Jaden Ivey (Best prospect available and great fit.)
    If this happens, Pistons have one of the top young backcourts of the league.

6 – Pacers – AJ Griffin (Great fit, with great upside as long as his medical is clear.)
    Duarte last year was nice, but maybe they reached too high for him. They rebuild with this pick.

7 – Blazers – Bennedict Mathurin (Maybe the best fit available with that talent.)
    Can be another 3 level scorer with a definitive role on this team.

8 – Pelicans – Jalen Duren (Great fit and most upside available.)
    This guy would be an anchor for years to come and form a potential monster frontcourt if we ever see fatso again.

9 – Spurs – Keegan Murray (Best player available, but not most upside or greatest fit. Maybe trade next time?)
    Great player but Spurs need a 5 also. Regardless, he would make an immediate impact would max his potential.

10 – Wizards – Jeremy Sochan (Great fit and defensive upside.)
    Great defender, Wizards desperately need front court talent.

11 – Knicks – Blake Wesley (Solid prospect and fit.)
    A Quickley/Wesley/Barrett unit could really make some plays.

12 – Thunder – Ousmane Dieng (Versatile player with a ton of upside and an improved shot.)
    Ousmane Dieng could be one of the steals of the draft.

13 – Hornets – Nikola Jovic (Potential is there and offensive skillset looks great as this team needs a big.)
    I see a lot of Domantas Sabonis in this kid with the shot form and play making and soft defense.

14 – Cavs – Kendall Brown (Not the greatest fit, but maybe most upside available. Maybe trade next time?)
    At this point it’s what can he become, and not so much what he is now.

Thanks for reading, feel free to critique or comment or even better, add yours on this platform.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Sharpe is a surprise top pick but if he was considered a likely top 3 pick next year maybe the Magic might be onto something. But it would be a hugely brave move to take him ahead of all the other guys. If the Magic were sold on him then might they look to trade down a few places to get him as other teams not looking at Sharpe would love a choice of the other top guys in the draft.

We know John Hammond has often drafted on size and Sharpe is a stretch with top pick but if they traded down I can see the logic and like the idea. The rest of the picks are logical although Dieng is a bit leftfield unless he did a great workout and a GM liked him.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I think Sharpe’s going to rise and if his 49″ vertical proves true, I’d buy it…

2+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

I don’t mean to pry but theres gotta be enough ads on my screen to afford to pay someone to get ‘create a mock’ up and running again.

Great mock. As for Sharpe going first I like it alot and think its the right pick.

I’m pretty sure Magic are gonna pick Chet first though. I I kinda see him as a risk because of how the leagues been trending especially after watching these playoffs. I don’t like how he answers the “how do you plan to gain weight?” questions. Doesn’t sound like he thinks he needs to gain muscle in order to get stronger and quite frankly he’s giving me Simmons vibes. Kinda seems like he knows he’ll be good enough for a max contract being skinny.

If I’m Orlando I would pick between Ivey and Sharpe and its a tough pick. Both are just so athletic but its different. Ivey has that quick twitch athleticism where he’s still as fast dribbling the ball as well but Sharpe kinda has that explosive finish through and over contact athleticism and just elevates so well on his jumpshots and for a player his age he’s very strong. Ivey is built like a tank too though so its tough. He looked smaller on TV standing next to Zach Edey but when Jaden plays his first NBA game people are gonna be shocked at his size.

9+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Also I think Eason will be rising up draft boards real soon. I don’t have time to do a mock until this weekend but I probably put him 6th to Indiana depending on his combine measurements.

4+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I like Eason too. Also I’m going to critique my own mock here and say I should have flip flopped Mathurin and Duren. For sure though – where is “Create Mock”?

kikikiki
    Participant

Always fun to see how everyone considers the draft, the only player missing is Johnny Davis in your selections!

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

At least with lottery done we can all sit down and loom at needs. I’ve got a fair bit of my mock in mind but need to check depth charts for the play off teams as specific needs are ofen drafted there and then it takes time to do a full write up of reasoning.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Ok, already time for a mock 1.1 since the combine results…

1 MAGIC – Shaedon Sharpe
    2 THUNDER – Jabari Smith
    3 ROCKETS – Chet Holmgren
    4 KINGS – Paolo Banchero
    5 PISTONS – Jaden Ivey
    6 PACERS – Bennedict Mathurin
    7 BLAZERS – Jalen Duren
    8 PELICANS – AJ Griffin
    9 SPURS – Keegan Murray
    10 WIZARDS – Jeremy Sochan
    11 KNICKS – Mark Williams
    12 THUNDER – Ousmane Dieng
    13 HORNETS – Nikola Jovic
    14 CAVS – Jalen Williams
    15 HORNETS – Ismael Kamagate
    16 HAWKS – Johnny Davis
    17 ROCKETS – TyTy Washington
    18 BULLS – Kendall Brown
    19 T’WOLVES – Tari Eason
    20 SPURS – Dyson Daniels
    21 NUGGETS – Terquavion Smith
    22 GRIZZLIES – EJ Liddell
    23 NETS – Kennedy Chandler
    24 BUCKS – Jaden Hardy
    25 SPURS – Kai Sotto
    26 MAVERICKS – Walker Kessler
    27 HEAT – Blake Wesley
    28 WARRIORS – Malaki Branham
    29 GRIZZLIES – Bryce McGowens
    30 THUNDER – Caleb Houstan

31 PACERS – Leonard Okeke
    32 MAGIC – Ochai Agbaji
    33 RAPTORS – Dalen Terry
    34 THUNDER – Christian Koloko
    35 MAGIC – Ibou Badji
    36 BLAZERS – Jordan Hall
    37 KINGS – Wendell Moore, Jr.
    38 SPURS – Jean Montero
    39 CAVS- Max Christie
    40 T’WOLVES – Ryan Rollins
    41 PELICANS – Trayce Jackson-Davis
    42 KNICKS – Marcus Sasser
    43 CLIPPERS – Iverson Molinar
    44 HAWKS – Christian Braun
    45 HORNETS – Johnny Juzang
    46 PISTONS – Gabriel Procida
    47 PELICANS – Malachi Smith
    48 T’WOLVES – Alondes Williams
    49 KINGS – Dominick Barlow
    50 T’WOLVES – Josh Minnot
    51 WARRIORS – Jamaree Bouyea
    52 PELICANS – Marjon Beauchamp
    53 CELTICS – Hugo Besson
    54 BUCKS – N/A
    55 HEAT – N/A
    56 MAVERICKS – Jake LaRavia
    57 WARRIORS – Michael Foster
    58 CAVS – Isaiah Mobley
    59 BLAZERS – Jaylin Williams
    60 PACERS – Jabari Walker

Imo JD Davison, John Butler, and Leonard Miller are going back to school to work for a higher spot next year…

OhCanada-
      Participant

I’m pretty confident Mavs will pick a floor spacer as their future big. The way they want to play Dwight Powell is currently unplayable because he can’t space the floor. I think they want Sochan there but hes probably gone and will end up taking Kai Sotto, Jaylin Williams or Orlando Robinson there who I don’t see in your draft. Orlando Robinson is a stud he’s gonna be a player for sure.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Another guy to keep an eye on that you might have to squeeze into your draft is Mouhamed Gueye out of Washington St. He won 5 Freshman of the Week awards and was probably runner up to Harrison Ingram for Freshman of the Year in the Pac 12. Unconfirmed 6”11 with a 7’5 wingspan, has a decent bit of development already started on his perimeter game and is a versatile defender. Needs to work on ball handling, free throw consistency and just making the right play but he’s a nice underrated prospect and a blank canvas as a development piece for whoever ends up with him.

Not sure what his plans are but if he stays in the draft it probably means he’s getting picked. He was the first person the Raptors worked out and it was a private/quiet workout. I’ve been thinking Toronto knew who they were picking all along when they traded back in the draft to acquire Thad Young. I thought it was for Andrew Nembhard. Or Christian Koloko. Leonard Miller. Then Caleb Houstan. Now I’m starting to think this would be the most Masai Ujiri thing to do. Either way Toronto’s gonna get a homerun with that 2nd round pick theres just tons of value in the early 2nd round this year.

1+
    42N8Bounce
    Participant

I’ve always enjoyed creating my mock draft on NBADraft.net. It looks like it’s down this year. It’s interesting though to see a 2022 ‘consensus mock draft’ with 3 total people and 1 that was updated within the last week. How did these 3 people create their mocks on NBADraft.net?

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

We’ve been waiting for that feature to come up for a while. I’m sure it’ll be up soon. My mock based on intel looks much different now. I’ll post one again after the withdrawal players go back.

1+
    holefillers1
    Participant

Peyton Watson is going to get drafted in the first round. Too much length and versatility to let slip. Guy grew six inches like a year and a half ago. Sixers just got their 23rd pick back. They need wings more than any team in the playoffs…Do the math

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Peyton Watson’s math…

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/peyton-watson-1.html <<<<Statistical facts

yeah, he’s 6’8″ but I’d wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy rather have Jordan Hall per say or Kendall Brown. Guess we can disagree on this one.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Peyton Watson’s horrible. He goes undrafted. You literally can’t even count on him to make wide open layups or dunks all alone on fastbreaks. I’m sorry to be disrespectful to him and I hope it all works out but he shouldn’t have entered. Its possible he entered hoping teams still see his “potential” and a year more of being this unproductive and they wont give him that “potential” label but he truly needs to develop offensive polish.

2+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

A guy who is 6’8″ coming off a season where he went 35% at the rim and received DNP-CDs going in the 1st round would be something. At least, he has the 23% from three to fall back on. It really is no wonder why he opted not to play in the scrimmages at the Combine. Gotta protect what he built.

2+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login