This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Siggy 11 years ago.

• Author
    drk3351
    Participant

First of all I’m not calling this guy a future NBA player, but I turned on the Michigan game today and have fell in love with this guy’s hustle. He’s diving on the floor on every play and is helping out Michigan a lot. That is what college ball is all about, and only few NBA players are like that. Like Reggie Evans but even him i don’t like him because of his flopping and the Chris Kaman incident. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1cBN8M-9I

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Chris Kamans hair!!! LOL

But I like McGary as a 4 year player at Michigan and possibly having a Nick Collison type role in the NBA.

BrentSuriaga01
      Participant

who plays like nick collison always has a place in the NBA no mattter how offensively or defensively limited you can be.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

haha yeh i agree exactly with Chilbert. With all his screens and dirty work, the first person I thought of was Nick Collison.

I think when he declares, he might be a mid first rounder / possible late lotto pick. I think he might do slightly better than Collison offensively in the NBA.

The guy sets some absolutely wicked screens, Ive seen some of the PG’s run into him and nearly get whiplash – the guy is a brick wall….

theprophet
    Participant

i think mcgary is a pro player. he’s not ready this year, but if you consider his athletic ability, his size and also how much he has improved his skills with his comfort level of the college game from the time he played his first game to now, then he can definitely make the league. i believe he is a three year player. i actually think he’s more athletic than collison, but still makes much more mistakes than collison ever did. i like the role comparison however of collison, i can see that type of impact. like r377 said, he can crack the first round. maybe not next year, but after that he probably could, which is how i come to the conclusion of him being a three year player.

ASAP Henry
    Participant

I like McGary, i noticed the same thing watching him play today: ALL OUT HUSTLE. He needs to stay in college for another year or two, but I think he’ll have a solid pro career. Kind of reminds me of a bigger Tyler Hansbrough.

Siggy
    Participant

He’s most definitely an NBA player, possible lotto as soon as next yr. He plays tough, plays with great energy, has great hands and is surprisingly really good defensively moving his feet. he has the strength and toughness to fight in the post as well. He needs polish offensively, but he does have a nice looking stroke and is a great PnR target because of his hands and mobility. He’s a good passer as well so he’ll make the drop off if the defense collapses. Until he adds polish, he can contribute to an NBA team with his energy, hustle, rebounding and defense.

ilike.panochas
    Participant

He could possibly carve out an NBA career similar to Kris Humphries.

Siggy
      Participant

He’s got a different mentality than Khris Humphries. McGary is starting out doing the dirty work and being an energy player who defends. Hump at the same stage was selfish as hell and was all about scoring. He was 20/10 but was an inefficient chucker on a bad team as a freshman. He continued those chucking tendencies his first few seasons. His inefficient offense, lack of bball IQ and terrible defense kept his PT to a minimum.

McGary has a better starting point as an NBA prospect. He already knows how to do the little things and play winning basketball, whereas Hump had to learn on the fly after getting passed around the league. IMO McGary will be better equipped to be a contributor to a winning team earlier in his pro career.

ilike.panochas
        Participant

I doubt McGary can put up 20/10 even on a bad college team, as a freshman, like Humpries did. 20/10 for a freshman whether it was efficient or not is still pretty darn good.

Siggy
          Participant

Probably not. He’s not that type of scorer, but he wouldve easily been a double digit rebounder on that same Minnesota squad while providing much better defense and intangibles. At the same time I don’t think McGary would’ve led his team to a 12-18 record. Hump was chucker supreme in college and was only concerned about his stats, regardless of how inefficient he was at getting them.

ilike.panochas
            Participant

Yes, I wasn’t denying that Humphries was a chucker in college, my point was you have to have some sort of talent to put up 20/10 as a freshman even on a bad team. Give Humpries a little bit of credit, he was a good college player, hard for me to label anyone a terrible player for putting up 20/10 even on a bad team.

Siggy
              Participant

I never denied Hump’s talent, but the same reasons why he got 20 pts a game as a freshman are why he got limited PT his first few yrs in the league. He shot the ball every time he touched it, took bad shots and didn’t care much about anything other than getting his.
              I think there is such thing as a bad player with good stats in college. Those types of players don’t get much run in the NBA early in their careers if there are other options available. Chuckers who provide little else are not highly valued either. Players who do what McGary does are more valuable and are more likely to get PT earlier in their careers.

Steven

ive seen mcgary live twice. last year, and 2 years ago when he played for brewster academy. 2 years ago i was AMAZED. hes huge and runs the floor well… his energy is unreal and his offensive game was off the charts. however last year when i saw him i actually went with my father and was hyping him up to be something special in the NBA. what happened, well he had the worst game of anyone on the floor. 4 points, 4 boards, 1 block and 1 steal. my father looked at me like i was crazy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login