This topic contains 13 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 7 years ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

What do you guys think about Monk? I used to think he was a 4-10 lottery pick now Im starting to think more 8-14. The thing is he doesnt do much more than score. Defensively he gives effort but he is very weak which offers no intimidating presence and has poor technique all around. He is also just 6’3 180. 

I love Monks competitive edge and athletisism. His scoring abillity reminds me of a smaller Ray Allen. Although I dont know how the NBA percieves his value. 

Robb_C compares him to Lou Williams which I kind of agree with. Theres been comoarisons to Ben Gordon as well which were also alright. The difference is his 40’inch verticle and all around elite athletisism which allows him to finish above and at the rim alot better than most shooters in the NBA which gives him more value. It also gives him more defensive value. 

So if we stay with that comparison what does a super athletic Lou Williams/Ben Gordon bring to a team? Really just scoring. Instant offense gaurds arent valued to high im the NBA. Lou Williams won the 6th man, then got dumped by the Raptors the same offseason. Went to the Lakers on a dirt cheap contract had arguably just as good a season and gets traded to Houston for a late 1st.

Teams will likely fall in love with his ju. pshot like they did Hield and Murray last year but in a deep draft with yons of good shooters with other skills I think he is a late lottery pick. 

negguary
    Participant

because I was just about to create a topic about monk as I was trying to decide who he is. My cousin is in love with him, and is sold on monk to the sixers. Then I thought ok maybe he could be a devin booker, being as though book didn’t do much but shoot in Kentucky and monk did even more than him during his time under cal, but then I remembered that booker is 6’6 compared to monk’s 6’3 which allows him to get to the cup in addition to getting his shot off. Now while I do agree with my cousin that monk is our guy and should be our guy if simmons is the primary ball handler and embeast is healthy, but where i’m conflicted is if we get the third pick do we take him that high because he is our best fit and we want to move forward with creating an actual team that fits or do we take an upside guy like issac or a solidified wing in tatum, do you really pass on josh if he’s there because monk is our best fit?? Help me out guys! Who is MALIK MONK??? LOL what should the sixers do if this is the case.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

If that Nets pick falls to 4, then Boston could take a look at him. Good guy for a three (small) guard rotation with IT and Smart. Especially if Ball, Fultz, and Josh Jackson are off the board. Then 4 might be too high to take a big like Markannen or TJ Leaf. 

I can see Philly taking a look at Monk with their second pick if they go with Lonzo Ball or Fultz with their top pick. Then I think they just try to go with an All Star team approach with Fultz/Ball, Monk, Simmons, Saric, and Embiid. Then Okafor might be shopped on draft night.

If Boston or Philly don’t get him, yeah, he could fall…

turndownforwatt
    Participant

coming into this year, all I heard was how athletic he was and how he was more of a slasher.  The few times I watched him before this year (including the McDonalds game) he was always at the rim.  Then, this year, he was coming off screens and was a sharpshooter who rarely got to the rim.  The same kind of situation occurred with Devin Booker.  Is it just a part of Calipari’s offense?  Is this going to be a similar situation to Booker where, with more space in the NBA he is able to take his game to another level, or is he really just a one dimensional scorer?  It will be interesting to see.  

Either way, with his size, I don’t see him going top 5, but I don’t see him dropping past 9 either.

festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

He reminds me of the Dallas version of Jason Terry, Terry was forced into PG spot in Atlanta but once in Dallas was SG and was really good at it.

Terry in today’s NBA (being 4-5 years removed from being legitimate threat) would thrive due to his outside shooting. Terry was one of my favourites in Dallas and Monk can fill out a it like him to be a very good scorer.

holefillers1
      Participant

I like that comp.

Chammes
    Participant

he is way more athletic then these guys you named he has like a 45 inch vertical, its insane

BeastMode716
    Participant

Monk has a Very rare skill set in that we almost Never see a guy w/ That kind of athletic ability who can fill it up from 3pt range.

However, because there are SO many high level PG’s (Fultz, Fox, Tnilikina, Smith Jr, Ball) & Wings (Josh Jax, Isaac, Tatum, Anunoby) I can’t see a team taking Malik Monk over almost Any of those players

B/C Calipari restricts his guys to such defined rolls it’s hard to say what else Monk can do. "Turndownforwhatt" made this point & it is an Excellend point.

People on diff sites have mentioned Boston & Phila as the most obvious spots but b/c Monk is not a high level defender I don’t see how Boston could use him. Iamgine a back court of Monk & IT – yes they would score half a hundred Every night but a backcourt w/ a 5’9” PG & a 6’3” SG will be Murdered at the other end – Especially in the playoffs….

Monk seems like a perfect fit on Philly. A scary fit actually b/c imagine all the wide open space Monk would have to shoot or attack the rim w/ Simmons & Embiid ruuning the pick & roll. But I’ve been reading a lot that Sixers GM Bryan Colangelo & their scouts also really like Dennis Smith Jr b/c of Smith’s crazy explosiveness. Obviously Smith Jr can’t shoot like Monk but the trade off is that Smith Jr gives them basically 2 interchangable PG’s with Smith Jr & Simmons.

If the 76ers do not draft Monk I could Def see Monk falling to the 8-12 range. Not b/c Monk isn’t an exciting Talent but b/c the Draft is so deep.

kobyz
    Participant

He’s the safe pick, because of his competitiveness and understanding how to score out of others and also Have talent to creat his own against tough defense, ability when he’s hot to win you a game, so to me he also safe pick for impact player with solid potential, could have an impact of a player like CJ McCollum, I think he’s top 10 pick…

thetrademachinery
    Participant

he makes me remember O.J.Mayo for some reason.

vulture711
    Participant

5-9 range.  Not every team in the Top 10 is dying for a point guard and I could easily see him going as high as 5-6.  I really view the Top 10-11 guys as pretty balanced and there will likely be more need based drafting than just taking a guy because he is ranked 7th.  Don’t underestimate stone cold shooters – NBA is full of guys who have made a lengthy career out of that being their one skill

pokie
    Participant

His combine measurements will probably be the most poured over of any of the top 20 prospects. If all the quality bigs come out, I think he may slide a bit. Also, I think Buddy Hield’s struggles this year may contribute to GMs maybe thinking twice about selecting him. I don’t think there are a lot of players you can compare Monk with, but unfortunately, Hield is one of those guys. It may hurt him on Draft Night.

negguary
    Participant

was just named the rookie of the month….. 

OhCanada-
    Participant

I think negguary and beastmodes comments have me back on board with Monk. I mean the NBA game is so open right now and as mentioned above Monks athletisism attacking the rim wasnt even on FULL display at UK. When was the last time we saw a gaurd with Monks athletisism shoot the ball that well as a freshman? It would surprise me at all to see him have similar production as Devin Booker in his first few seasons. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login