This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by armchairgmarmchairgm armchairgm 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Two early names for the Magic job are Terry Stotts and David Vanterpool. I would go with Terry Stotts.

1+
    canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Orlando is clearly in the rebuilding phase. I love how Kenny Atkinson re-built the Nets when they were in the worst position- limited talent and all their picks going to the Celtics; Tatum and Brown. Atkinson for sure.

bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

I think this should be Wes Unseld Jr. He helps keep their defensive identity and the dude deserves it. But whoever it is, it needs to be a rookie HC imo

1+
    sniper
    Participant

It’s going to be a long, slow rebuild for Orlando. I’d look for a coach who can squeeze a few extra wins per year by getting a team to work harder and bust ass on D. Atkinson and Joerger fit the bill. I’m sure a bunch of asst. coaches do as well. Maybe Stotts could do a good job but it seems like a very different situation than Portland, where you basically had a coach on the floor and a n expectation of winning.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

David Vanterpool. I think will be a front runner for the Portland job as Lillard and McCollum apparently said he deserved a lead role in the last few years.
    THe Magic seem to have been in rebuild really since D!2 left them and moving Gordon and Vucevic they are clearly deeper into rebuild so you want a coach who can improve players and also help develop prospects.
    Terry Stotts is a proven coach but as he turns 64 this year is he the ideal guy for a longer term rebuild. John Hammond theor GM has drafted some good players over the years most notably Giannis so I think the FO is in safe hands.
    So maybe they go for a college head coach who has a really good record of improving players rather than just taking one and dones or an assistant from the NBA who has a similar trait.
    Considering all this I agree Wes Unseld Jnr would be a good choice he has had over 15 years on NBA coaching staff, has worked for the Magic before, has helped develop Denver’s team and has an excellent defensive pedigree so would be ideal to work with Carter, Bamba etc.

1+
    Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Same thing I said the last 3 posts. Kenny Atkinson.

Hitster
    Participant

Would Patrick Ewing finally get a HC job in the NBA he worked and played briefly with the Magic and was a highly respected assistant before getting the Hoyas top job or has his time for a top NBA job now passed?

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Jason Kidd, Kenny Atkinson, Ime Udoka, Jarron Collins, Darvin Ham, Charles Lee, Sam Cassell also thought to be in the mix. Orlando is thought to be looking for a young coach whose strength is player development.

1+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Becky Hammon in mix for Magic job as well.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I think she’ll get it.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Penny Hardaway, Willie Green, Wes Unseld Jr, Ty Corbin, Dan Craig, Chauncy Billups also in mix.

1+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Orlando is leaning more towards a coach who has been a head coach in NBA and has a track record for developing young players. Jason Kidd and Kenny Atkinson seem to the the favorites.

1+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Jahmal Mosely now in mix for this job as well.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Wes Unseld Jr is only candidate to have a 2nd interview for the job and is favorite to land job. Orlando may bring in one other candidate for a final interview.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Jahmal Mosely gets the job.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login