This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar goddag 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Walker , #16 and a future 2nd to OKC for Horford, Moses Brown and a 2023 2nd. What a steal for OKC. So much for tanking they now have a legit chance at being competitive with a good draft and free agency.

2+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

At some point, people need to take a look at OKC’s recent picks going back to 2014-15. By a lot of measures, and certainly the eye test, Bazley, Pokusevski, and Maledon were three of the worst players in the league this year whose constant court presence only served to further the tank (and we will see if the lottery balls fall in their favor). Isaiah Roby has not been special, and might not stick beyond his contract. Devon Hall and Kevin Hervey only lasted a year. Hamidou Diallo showed some promise, but was traded for the tank. Terrance Ferguson failed to make it through his rookie contract. Dakari Johnson and Daniel Hamilton didn’t stick. Alex Abrines and Semaj Christon didn’t stick, and Domantas Sabonis was a part of the “scared money don’t make none” trade for Paul George after one year only to flourish in Indiana. Cam Payne flamed out and needed a trip to China before bouncing back to NBA relevance, and Josh Huestis didn’t last his rookie scale deal. Mitch McGary flopped amazingly quick, and Grant Jerrett didn’t last a year. Collecting picks is one thing, turning them into players is another. They have a ton of them, and a few will be really high. The one they got in this trade is not especially high.

Bringing back Horford is an interesting move for Stevens. He is still better than their current options at center. OKC sat him because their vets were winning too much early in the season. Kemba didn’t fit, and has been often hurt. With Tatum, Brown, Smart, and presumably Fournier, they might not need a guy in Walker’s mold.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I thought at least before the thought of blowing up the Mavs was popular that maybe they should have traded for Kemba and went at a title run.

BKGingerSnap
    Participant

Lol, Kemba is washed, his knee is toast. Kemba is a great human but he has no burst anymore and can’t blow past guys to the basket. Given that Brad coached him the last 2 years and immediately traded him once being promoted, I doubt Kemba ever regains all star form. He can still shoot and draw charges but small guards generally don’t win the playoffs. Celtics have missed Horford since he left and def has 2 years left in him. Brown is 7’2″ super long, 21, good mobility and made a big jump from year 1 to year 2. This also gives Boston more cap room which was crucial. Boston killed OKC on this trade.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I agree because of the cap room alone. Kemba is likely done as an All-Star level player. I think he is still a relevant scorer though in spurts. But OKC just gave him an injury year off so who knows. Lol! They will find a way to rest him all year and play their new young players.

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

Im confused at what the Thunder are doing. I get the constant gathering picks, but seriously at some point you have to build.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

I think Presti is using the old Red Auerbach idea of you can never have enough picks, He’ll look to rebuild the team via the draft take on cap dumps for more assets and hope to get a couple of building pieces in across the next couple of years to go alongside SGA. He’ll use his picks to get as high in the draft as he can and then use some to make trades for a veteran presence or two to help the young core develop. He’ll effectively look to do whay he did post Ray Allen trade and drafting KD and co.

1+
    goddag
    Participant

This trade was all about Stevens and Kemba not liking each other and Stevens wanting him and his BIG contract off the team. That’s it!

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login