This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar CelticJayhawk 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    CelticJayhawk
    Participant

Friends with him on Facebook and his graduating year is 2011..classy

JoeWolf1

Man, all the Lawrence press made it sound like Selby doesn’t view himself as a one and done guy and that he wanted to play at least two seasons. Thats a bummer.

CelticJayhawk
    Participant

Im out here now for school..he’s not a nice guy haha people are saying it’s “selby’s team”..he may be super talented but i do not trust that if things get tough and coach self gets on him that he wont jump ship..i think ive been in denial about him being a selfish ball player..i hope im wrong

huff09
    Participant

It seems like some of these guys really underestimate how much an education could help them for life after basketball. Why not just enjoy a few years of college, take some business classes, do your thing in the league, then land a sweet front office job with a team? Most guys are not ready to come out after their first year anyway.

huff09
    Participant

It seems like some of these guys really underestimate how much an education could help them for life after basketball. Why not just enjoy a few years of college, take some business classes, do your thing in the league, then land a sweet front office job with a team? Most guys are not ready to come out after their first year anyway.

JoeWolf1

Thats a shame, I’ve lived in Lawrence for the past 6 years and one thing I love about it is that it has kind of a small town vibe despite its around 100,000. You can run into players and a lot of the old guys have houses here. I saw Jacques Vaughn at Target the other day,lol. I was kinda surprised Self got into the whole one and done thing, but Xavier was super nice despite having a total stage dad. That sucks to hear Selby is kind of a dick.

Wreckless
    Participant

You guys actually thought he was gonna stay 2 years?
    He said he was gonna be one and done at the jordan brand classic.

JoeWolf1

I chalk my hope to the denial of being a fan.

weballin.net
    Participant

They all say they’re gonna stay several years. Truth is if they’re top 15 in the mock drafts they enter the draft. Concerning their education, no one prevent them from finishing their education after their career or entering trainings to learn how to handle their money while every year spent in college is, if they’re really NBA ready, one less year of salary.

stanford hoops

yeah why not stay and enjoy college and take a chance on getting a horrible injury that damages youre basketball career. its not like you wont make enough from youre rookie contract to go back to college and continue youre education or take classes during the summer

JoeWolf1

I hear you stanford hoops, my perspective is from a fan who wants his team to compete for a National Championship. If KU keeps cycling through one and done players I feel it hurts their chance to win a title. Not everyone is Carmelo, most of the NCAA Mens Champions have been full of guys who’ve played 2 or 3 years and established a team goal as well in put in the work over the years to try to reach that. If your #1 goal is to get to the NBA and play as soon as possible, then I get it and thats your decision, it makes sense, but I’d like to think as a fan that players have pride in their school and want to try to win a Championship, even if it takes more than 1 year.

stanford hoops

gotta deal with that as a top program. only way to stop it is recruit 3star players with very lil upside and then you start losing more games. you can have pride and try to win for youre school but the what does youre school do for you if you get hurt or after youre four years?..they wont be paying youre bills and its not certain that you will get a job in this economy. its selfish for people to want a player to jepordize there future to satisfy a fan who wont care too much about them after there playing days are over you know.

im a big maryland fan but i dont fault steve francis,joe smith, or len bias for leaving early because thats there goal and dream. i dont view them as having any less pride for there school then vasquez who stayed all four years

and 99% of these pride guys that stay longer arent staying because they love school so much they are staying because they know they wont get drafted high or at all. even the schools arent about pride they are about how much money the sport can make for them. why you think they discontinue some school sports?..not bringing in enough money

OhCanada-
    Participant

Avery Bradley was veiwed as a multiple year guy and wether his decision to be a one and done was a direct result of him being a higly regarded prospect or the new CBA coming into effect doesnt matter. At the end of the day this is Millions of dolalrs we are talking about. Stop and really think about this MILLIONS OF DOLLARS! Someone asks you, “do you want Millions of Dollars now or next year?” what will you say?

Most people in the world will never ever recieve 5 Million Dollars and plus if someone said to you at a young age “here we will give you 2 Million Dollars a year for 4 years if you never go to school again and play basketball for us while helping out in our community”, can you honestly tell me you are going to say, “no I should go to school.”.

Bryant24
    Participant

thats why i dont like the one and done rule because players are only staying in college for a year if they have too i mean if you have the talent to go straight from high school no one should do that you know how much mone kentucky made last year off john wall i rea a article on derrick rose one year memphis made more money than any d1 college that year they ncca does it for money these guy go to school for the 1st semester second semester they just flunked and dont care because they going to be picked in the lottery and make millions.

But that’s wrong that josh selby has it on his page he better stop being arrogrant because a future in basketball isnt promised not trying to jinx he but something bad could happen to so he better get a degree of some sort.

JoeWolf1

My beef isn’t with players leaving early. It’s cycling through one and done players and trying to win titles. I had no beef with Chalmers, Arthur, Rush, Aldrich, Wright and those guys leaving to go pro. When your time comes and your in the lottery or think its your best chance you go, Self has always been straight with his players and they respect him for that. I don’t want KU to turn into a school like Kentucky who gets a monster recruiting class of one and done guys, they lose in the elite 8 and then do the same thing all over next year.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Joe Wolf beggers cant be choosers…If you dont like how the top prospects are conducting their buisness cheer for Butler.

JoeWolf1

It’s not like I stand on my pedistool and cast judgment on KU basketball, and their players. Allen Feildhouse is one of the most magical places on earth and nothing will shake my fanhood, lol. I’m going to cheer for Selby no matter what he does, but can’t I be disappointed in the new trends of recruiting? You can’t tell me that reloading with one and done players is the best way to win a championship, and as a fan isn’t that what you want for your team?

stanford hoops

is it truely wrong to let people know youre plans rather then say “im not sure ill have to wait till the end of the season” when the guy already knows they are leaving after one year if they are a lock to go first round?.. i know i get tired of hearing players say they arent sure when its clear to everyone that they wont be coming back after there year is up. like when lebron kept saying he might go to college hes not sure about going to the nba…come on. i rather a player be honest that way a coach knows for sure he needs to recruit for the next season instead of not knowing then the player announces in june when its too late to get alot of top recruits

also even without the highschool rule there are gonna be guys who have great seasons and great tournaments who end up coming out early because there stock is high. teams are always gonna have to deal with it and i dont agree with there being a rule that a guy HAS to stay in college for a couple years if they go. All these schools care about is making more money but dont liek when the players are trying to leave and do the same

stanford hoops

of course i want whats best for me team but whats best for my team isnt whats best for ssed to be for right?..to give our children the best possible chance to be successful in the world. a if they get injured or give them money for the rest of there life if there once promising nba future is no more? there will always be more kids coming in when a player leaves. the best way to win a title IMO is to get the best players. if the player happens to be a one and done fine. if we dont win with the one and done guy fine but he gives me a better chance then most 4year guys. how can i with a straight face tell a kid he should stay for the benifit of the school i like and my personal satisfaction while i risk nothing and he risk everything?

OhCanada-
    Participant

Joe Wolf you are sort of complaining…You guys get both Morris brothers to stay, Tyshawn Taylor to stay and Josh Selby the #1 Rivals prospect to committ and youre complaining.

What you are telling me is that you would have rather seen players that are undeveloped come to Kansas and become elite level players with time like abdul Gaddy. Or players like Scottie Reynolds who are good NCAA level players but dont seem to pan out in the pro’s.

Be proud you and every other KU fan has earned the bragging rights for Josh Selby’s career. I dont even get a team because I’m in Canada. I’m stuck cheering for Stanford, Gonzaga, Minnesota and Texas do to Powell, Sacre, the Joseph brothers and Thompson. My girlfriends from Ohio so I like O-State as well too. texas is my team thou..this year.

Be happy with what you have, college basketball is one of the purest American sports and you get to embrace argueably the best Program.

Stanford great points +1.

JoeWolf1

I agree with you about the high school rule. At first I was in favor of the NBA requiring players to goto one year of college because there were a lot of guys coming out of high school and falling through the cracks. There were a lot of guys who took the gamble, didn’t make it. I was in favor of the rule not so Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, Greg Oden had to goto college, but rather to keep guys like Leon Smith, Korleone Young from coming out. Now though, a few years later, I don’t like the effect it’s having on college basketball and although I was originally in favor of it, I now think it would be better for the NBA and for college if they were to get rid of it.

JoeWolf1

I know I’m kind of complaining, I just found this out right now, and I was a little disappointed because all that I had heard up to this was that he was going to be a two year player. This isn’t one of my finer moments on this forum, but im bummed damnit,lol. I normally am not much of an idealist and way more of a realist. You’re right though, I am kind of bitching, this is just one reason why I hate the Lawrence sports writing media, they cover KU sports in great depth, but they are idealists to a fault and annoy the crap out of me. If they hadn’t planted the seed in my brain that he wasn’t going to be a one and done player, I wouldn’t be ranting right now, but you’re right OhCanada, I’m done now. lol

stanford hoops

and the thing about leon smith is hes made enough money to go back to college and still have enough to buy cars and a house

korleone young has been making 6plus figures for the past 10 plus years. even though he didnt make it in the nba hes doing very very well for his self. could he have done better by going to college?..possibly but he also could have gone to college and had a accident that prevented him from even playing basketball over in europe

stanford hoops

where did you hear he was gonna stay for two years?..ive been hearing he was gonna be a one and done for awhile now. plus with his talent it was pretty obvious that he was gonna be one and done

JoeWolf1

Man, the sports writers in town are terrible. I live in Lawrence, and they are always doing this kind of stuff. I can get the most information about KU’s recruiting trails through them, so thats where I get a lot of my information about KU recruiting and they interviewed his mom and him when he first signed and they buttered it up to make it seem like he was a good student and was definately not a one and done player. I didn’t get to watch the Jordan Classic this year and I watched the McDonalds game at a Bar and Grill so I didn’t hear any of his interviews there.

stanford hoops

lol…come on you gotta just look at some players and know that chances of them staying more then a year are slim at best. im sure unc fans dont need to read anything to know barnes is one and done the same with baylor fans (even though perry prob wont perform like a one and done his potential is too high to not know hes gone after a year) some players you can read that they wanna stay all four years or more then a year and you still know that that is most likely bull and they are just telling fans what they wanna hear

JNixon
    Participant

He was the #1 player by some recruiting services….It’s hard to imagine him staying in school more than a year anyway, I thought that was a forgone conclusion

Doc Hoops
    Participant

I like Josh Selby

He reminds me of like DeJuan Wagner. Wagner was a shooting guard in a point guards body. Selby isin’t as raw of a playmaker like Wagner at this point but Selby should be able to develop better with 2 seasons of college.

CelticJayhawk
    Participant

Selby’s the man and every KU fan will love him as long as he’s dedicated to winning games, but at least play the one and done thing a little closer to the vest. it’s not even time for pre season polls (even though there are some) and i fear his ego might get in the way. He’s the point guard..he’s got the swag the skills and the confidence to lead our team to at least the sweet 16 if not further, but i can see his ego getting in the way.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login