This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by armchairgmarmchairgm armchairgm 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    highflyer0
    Participant

I’ve only caught a half of one of the games so far (and some highlights), so I’m going to very irresponsibly offer a few observations. But what I really want to know is what you guys think, since I’m sure some of you have watched multiple full games.

First of all, playing well in the G-League should be more significant than playing well in college, right? Honestly though, I’m not so sure. The G-League style is so fast-paced that it’s hard to say exactly how well it translates, although I understand that the personnel are much more talented.. I think it’ll be much easier to scout players after there is a couple years worth of Ignite to NBA data. But anyway….

Jonathan Kuminga: After seeing his stats from the first game and watching highlights from his high school days I was prepared to say he should go number 1. Then I watched him play a full half and meh. His shot selection is bad and his 3 doesn’t look good at all. In fact, it looks pretty awful. He’s super athletic, of course, and he already looks like a grown man, but I don’t think he’s such an overwhelming physical specimen that it would make up for a lack of scoring polish. His handle needs a ton of work too. I see he’s been moved up to number 1 on this site though, so what do I know? He’s definitely a top 5 prospect on tools alone, but I can’t see him being very impactful right away.
    Comparison: If he develops really well–Jaylen Brown

Jalen Green: Amazing athlete. He glides around like Zach Lavine. Nice jump shot, although not a knockdown shooter yet (I know, I know, he’s 19). He’s 6’6 but he looks kind of small on the court? I guess it’s because he’s light. Hard to imagine him not being a good scorer at the next level, because he can get wherever he wants and elevates so effortlessly. Would like to see more playmaking from him.
    Comparison: Zach Lavine (it’ll be tough to be as a great of a shooter as Lavine)

Daishen Nix: He has some James Harden in him (doesn’t mean he’ll be anywhere near as good, just saying).. There are some guys that just look natural with the ball and he’s one of them. Super tight handle for his size. Great feel for the game. BUT he looks really out of shape, which is a big red flag. Haven’t they been working out for a while? Also, his jump shot, although it looks okay, isn’t great. I have a feeling that if he was in his best shape he’d be just as impactful as Green and Kuminga. Even when overweight I think his athleticism is a little underrated. Really want to see him when he’s in top form.
    Comparison: In between Andre Miller and James Harden

Bonus! Jalen Suggs: Holding back a bit, because Gonzaga is so dominant at the college level, but he’s just an absolute baller. Great handle, terrific vision, nice jump shot (% has gone down a little lately, so something to keep an eye on), very unselfish. Tough kid, fought to come back from an ankle injury, former football star. I think he’d stand out in the G-League right now with the crazy pace they play at. Only thing I worry about with him is his lack of great length, which could (I guess) limit his ultimate ceiling. Shows great defensive instincts with his steal numbers, though. May not have the highest potential (again, I guess), but just seems like a better basketball player than the others.
    Comparison: Quicker Jamal Murray with better vision

Double Bonus!! Cade Cunningham: Okay, I’ll admit I definitely need to watch more of him but…I like how smooth he is at his size. Looks like there’s room for him to add muscle and really punish smaller guards down low. Athleticism is just okay. Elevates nicely, but doesn’t seem very quick. There is some Luka to his movements, but he doesn’t have that kind of touch or insane scoring instincts (who does?). Shot looks better than I expected and has the 3 point % to back it up. Also encouraged by his high free throw percentage, which is a good indicator of NBA shooting ability. He even has a nice step back. Just a really solid player. But it’s hard to say how high his ceiling is. He could end up being a much, much better pro than college player, or he could have trouble dominating against better athletes. It’s hard to say.
    Comparison: Rich man’s Evan Turner with range (might not sound great, but that was really Turner’s only major weakness)

Of the five, my irresponsible, uninformed ranking would be:
    1. Suggs
    2. Green
    3. Cunningham (still think he could go up to 1, but need to see him perform better)
    4. Kuminga
    5. Nix (if he was in great shape I think he could be as high as 2 on this list)

Conclusions: I’d pick Suggs number one. After that, I’m not sure. This isn’t my top 5, just a ranking of these specific 5 players. I haven’t seen enough of Mobley to say anything.

I’ll say this though: A few years down the line, watch out for Scottie Barnes and an in-shape Daishen Nix.

All right, I’m done rambling. Thoughts on how the G-League guys have looked and how they compare to the college players?

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

It’s a good assessment in my opinion. Kuminga is a bit raw and can get lost, however he has picked up the game pretty quickly. He has the serious upside like you said with his tools but I think he could be something special. What’s your take on Isaiah Todd? Not as much hype around him…

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

I think Todd has a high ceiling, but also has high bust potential. He is skilled and athletic plus he has the physical tools in size and quickness. Need to see if his shot gets more consistent and his shot selection gets better he settles on offense too much and is not aggressive enough especially since he could be a good scorer on all 3 levels.

2+
    RUDEBOY-
    Participant

I Feel Jalen Green will be the 2nd best player from this draft…
    I’ve been searching for a comparision for Kuminga,a better Version of Richard Jefferson is 1 that comes to mind, another is Shawn Marion.
    Jalen Johnson might be a better player than Kuminga…

I Agree with GM on Todd’s potential..He has so much raw talent..Could be Chris Bosh lite or Chris McCollough..
    He’s been impressive in the G-League..He’s going to bump someone from the first round..A 6’10 shotmaker with stretch ability..Some playoff team will take a chance on him in the late 1st round and have a steal..
    He’s got that 1 Legged Dirk shot..lol

1+
      armchairgmarmchairgm
      armchairgm
      Participant

I see with your comparisons you frequent NBAdraftroom too

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

lol..not really..it comes from watching b ball since i was 6..i mentioned marques johnson as a comparision for jalen johnson ..this guy on twitter who writes about the nba for a living had never heard of him…

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

That guy should not be writing about the NBA for a living. How can you not know who Marques Johnson is.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Well you know… not all of us watched basketball in the 50’s lol. Marques who?

armchairgmarmchairgm
        armchairgm
        Participant

I was born in 1980 and I have heard of him, but maybe because I am a UCLA fan and have NBA League pass and he has been an analyst for various teams.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login