This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by armchairgmarmchairgm armchairgm 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Anyone else view this guy as a potential lottery pick? I have to admit that I wasn’t convinced on him as an nba prospect coming into the season as he was very inconsistent and seemed somewhat overwhelmed physically as a freshman. But he has made significant strides this year for a michigan team that looks to be as good as any in the country. Although he isn’t necessarily the type of player who will take over a game with scoring (particularly not with Michigan’s balanced attack), there are so many things he can do on the floor with his combination of size, skill and feel for the game. He has gotten stronger and much better at finishing this season. His shooting has improved, as well as his defense and rebounding. He has always had a good playmaking feel and even though he will still make the occasional head scratching decision they are coming far less frequent now then a year ago. Plus, just like his brother, you have to love the passion he plays the game with. He is a much better natural athlete and far better defender than his brother, and I think he still has a lot of room to grow and develop. This site doesn’t even currently have him in 2021 mock but I think he’s pretty much a first round lock at this point. And given the overall uncertainty after the first five or six picks, I wouldn’t even say lottery would be out of the question. I’d actually say he compares favorably with someone like deni avdija, who was a top ten pick last year.

2+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

At this point I think he is in the late 1st to early 2nd range and likely doesn’t enter until next year. He has a high IQ and can score, but he is going to struggle defensively.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Wagner could be a late lottery pick. Imo he could go anywhere from late lottery to 1st. He does have a nice IQ and I have to disagree. I think the dude can play defense pretty well. He’s not a great shot blocker, not a great glue guy, but he can both block and blanket his opponent on defense well enough to keep someone on their toes. He’s more of a small ball 4 to me.

1+
    RUDEBOY-
    Participant

franz is no slouch on the defensive end either….late lottery to 25th pick sounds about his landing spots….

another player i think is flying under the radar by draft sites and nba fans..and will shock alot of people when draft rolls around is jay huff of virginia…a 7 foot ,three point shooting ,rim protecting lengthy big that can run the floor,put the ball on the floor and catch lobs…im not saying he’s lottery bound..not at all,but i feel he could be a late 1st or early 2nd rounder that’ll be a solid contributor….

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

There’s a lot of bigs that could be late 1st to UFA. Huff doesn’t surprise me actually, he’s been playing pretty good lately.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
      Participant

Not quite sold on huff yet. He has made himself into a very good college player but not quite sure he is an nba level athlete. I think in the right type of system and scenario he could succeed in the nba, but he’s probably not someone I would touch in the first round. More of a second round guy I would take a flier on IMO.

bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

I know I’m late to the party but I’ve been busy. I think Franz Wagner is honestly a top 10 guy.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

It’s possible. I have him about between 9-20 myself. Glad you’re back!

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

I think he should go in the 1st for sure now, but I still think he is still a late 1st round guy at the moment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login