This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar lalaila 11 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    JoeyGladstone
    Participant

Scouting Report back in June of 2004. How accurate would you guys say this is? Didnt realize how much praise he was getting for his “stunning array of post moves” & “knock down jumpers”. Guys ever think if he didnt go on that weight gaining program if he could have become a “superstar” at the 4 position ala KG?

Dwight Howard
    Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy (Ga.)
    Power Forward, 6-11, 243

Strengths: How much time do you have? Seriously, though, Howard has almost too many strengths to mention. He’s a beast in the paint offensively, using exceptional footwork and quickness to perform a stunning array of post moves and finish with both hands. But he’s also an excellent passer and capable ball-handler who can step away from the basket and knock down jumpers. In addition, he runs the floor, blocks shots and rebounds as well as any big man in the draft, including Emeka Okafor. Although he’s probably headed for a career at power forward in the pros, Howard’s versatility, size and athleticism could allow him to play center or even small forward down the line. And if all that isn’t enough, he’s also extremely mature and is a hard worker.

Weaknesses: There aren’t many. Some critics fear he lacks passion and might be more Kwame Brown than Kevin Garnett. Aside from that, his biggest weaknesses are lack of experience and strength, which can be said of all players who come straight out of high school. He’ll obviously have to adjust to the physical nature of the NBA, and it remains to be seen whether he can continue to dominate against players who are all his size or bigger. Essentially, Howard’s main weakness is that he’s not as proven a commodity against big-time competition as Okafor.

The Lowdown: The No. 1 pick will come down to Okafor and Howard, and it appears Okafor has the edge at this point. Okafor is definitely a more proven player who can contribute right away, but Howard has a much bigger upside because of his versatile skills. Because of that, don’t expect to see Howard’s name on the board past the No. 2 pick. In our opinion, Howard has the best chance of anyone in this draft to be a superstar down the line. He’s certainly not a sure thing, but he’s the horse we’d bet on.

apb540
    Participant

"Some critics fear he lacks passion and might be more Kwame Brown than Kevin Garnett."

He’s not Kwame Brown but his lack of passion has seemed to be an issue so far.

JoeyGladstone
      Participant

I actually disagree with that. He brings it every single night he is out on the floor. Could he become more of an actual vocal leader? Sure, but it seems the passion (from giving it his all every night) has been fine since he joined the league.

Participant

"The Lowdown: The No. 1 pick will come down to Okafor and Howard, and it appears Okafor has the edge at this point."  Emeka Okafor got lucky that he wasn’t drafted before Howard because he may have gone down in history as the guy drafted before Dwight Howard. Okafor has his strengths and he’s not a bad player, but his game is nowhere near Dwight’s and Dwight will likely keep getting better.

UNCbasketballbum
    Participant

Weakness: Perennial flip-flopper, gets terrible advice and handles free agency situation about as poorly as one can handle it.  Will alienate fan base and become a villain although once perceived as a fun-loving kid.

tiberius
    Participant

Hey man, this is brilliant, even though a project like this would appear like a waste of time, I think that we should create scouting profiles for players beyond 2006. It would be interesting in my oppinion even though we know how they play. 

joecheck88
    Participant

I remember watching Howard in the All American game. He hit a 3, got a rebound and took it coast to coast for a dunk. He talked about maybe playing the 3 in an interview. I’m glad Orlando pushed him down low. I don’t remember an array of post moves though. He could drop step and dunk or throw a hook shot up but not much more. I don’t know why his jumper and free throws haven’t developed. He had good form and guess he still does but he just can’t hit anything consistently outside of a few feet. 

F_S

Anthony Davis:

"Although he’s probably headed for a career at power forward in the pros, [anthony’s] versatility, size and athleticism could allow him to play center or even small forward down the line. And if all that isn’t enough, he’s also extremely mature and is a hard worker."

lalaila
    Participant

i mean it’s crazy this HS kid made his strengths into his weaknesses (jumper, ball handling versatility to play 3 position) but his biggest weakness at time now is THE biggest strength and it’s his strength lol.. and he is still a superstar, who ever thought he will be stornger than Emeka??

it’s like Anthony Davis wouldn’t block shots rebound play great defense in his NBA career but still would became a superstar because of Dirk type of offense lol 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login