This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Hitster
    Participant

Donovan Mitchell becoming only the 4th player in the last 60 years to hit over 70 points in an NBA game is a truly historic event. The biggest single game point haul since the late great Kobe’s 81 points vs the Raptors nearly 17 years ago. It was almost the perfect storm with Donovan playing 50 mins for his 71 point haul vs the Bulls and the game going into OT..

We’ve had some big personal hauls recently with Luka hitting 60 and Klay went for 54 last night too. LBJ is still rattling off big numbers and Embeast is near the top of the scoring charts. Donovan was around the top 10 in the scoring list but hadn’t been on a hot streak in recent games until last night so if you thought something like this was going o happen he wouldn’t have been an obvious candidate to do it.

But a bit like Kobe’s masterpiece his team faced a big defecit and Donovan went on a scoring blitz in the 2nd half getting 42 points as he hauled his team back into the game and then had OT to achieve the 70 point barrier. It was as I say the perfect storm as he went on a hot streak and his team mates just gave him the ball.

But he did the feat without an insane 3 point line return. 7 from 15 is hugely impressive but into today’s game you might figure it would need someone to hit 10 or more 3’s to get the sort of huge return Donovan got.

As I said the conditions were right with a couple of team mates out and playing nsane minutes to chase a game but when you look at the all time greats most of them never went for 70 in a game something that Donovan achieved last night.

1+
    Zouldiers
    Participant

Favorite part about this performance is that they won and he also had 11 rebounds and 8 assists. His 71 points actually mattered.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

That’s crazy, first Luka’s 60 point triple double and now Mitchell.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Alot of people will try to discredit these performances and say “the games different” “rules don’t allow defending” “pace is much faster today” but in reality all you have to do is watch what these guys are doing. I mean really look at how quickly Mitchell can just change directions while doing multiple crossovers and he doesn’t slow down one bit, hes completely under control and balanced at all times not a single thing fundamentally incorrect about what he’s doing even on his misses. Its absolutely phenomenal.

Still kinda salty Toronto didn’t put together a package to put him next to Siakam and Barnes. And then he ends up in Cleveland next to Garland and Mobley…an even better fit. The one saving grace here is hes struggled against Toronto this year…but the Cavs and Raps are clearly on two different trajectories and its pretty clear Mitchell is a huge difference there.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Well the game may have changed but Donovan has achieved something and surpassed Devin Booker’s 70 point losing effort going back nearly 6 years but that was a losing effort and him possibly chasing the figure. If we get a glut of guys doing this then there may be some logic in the feat has become easier.

I was always surprised none of the record scoring games had gone to OT and this did happen with Mitchell but you can only play the minutes available so I’d not say it lessens his achievement.

60 points has only been achieved by 34 players and 82 times of which Wilt did 34 of them. It has been done 15 times over the last 5 seasons so you could say there have been more instances recently than since Wilt’s domination. But a lot depends on game situation as often a player having a dominant game has won it for his team and is sat in the 4th quarter as Kobe was when he’d gone past 60 in one game before the 81 pointer.

We may see more 60 point games going forward but the 70 point figure is still a real landmark and the first for nearly 6 years and only 3rd this century and 5th in nearly 60 years is truly historic.

As a Suns fan I’d forgotten Devin had reached 70 too which was quite embarrassing when I posted initial thread post and David Thompson achieving the feat is a favourite NBA quiz question of mine as he’s not a likely initial suggestion unless you know the list. David was a fine player but a more casual fan wouldn’t immediately think of him.

1+
    Gronounours
    Participant

I feel that more than a sport, basketball (especially the NBA) has become a big show based on individual performance and statistics, where the goal is to generate as much ad revenue and subscriptions as possible.

To me, games are unwatchable. The flow is constantly interrupted by fouls, breaks, and time-outs, which is fantastic for advertisers, but terrible for viewers. Everything is done to boost scoring, so much so that stopping star players is all but impossible. Showtime baby! On the other hand, some teams are built to lose, as the NBA rewards mediocrity, which completely destroys what should be the basis of any sport: the will to win.

Everything is about stats and breaking individual records, as games themselves are too boring. Even when no records have been beaten, stat experts come up with “near-records”. How many times do we now read things like “X is only the 3rd under-25 player to register at least 32 points, 13 rebounds, 7 assists, and 5 steals in an away Christmas game over the last 12 seasons”? Every night, new “near-records” are being broken. Who won? Who even cares before the play-offs?

NBA fans gorge on low nutrient, high sugar games; they watch junk sport while eating junk food. I’ll take a good 1-0 soccer game over a 71-point performance, any day.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

The players are too rich. Your watching a bunch of pampered millionaires compete and the grit is gone. From a very young age these guys are exposed to a very luxurious lifestyle which can soften most people. The league is soft as hell however the skill level is through the roof due to training methods improving not due to rule changes.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login