This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising canadabasketballisrising 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Anton1234
    Participant

Hi guys!
    So, I was looking at the combine measurements, and something I never really thought about occurred to me. What’s up with all the crazy-low body fat percentages of the players? There is a bunch of guys with sub 5% body fat. Isn’t that like insane? Is something off about the measurement system? Do the athletes go on a crazy weight cut before the combine?
    I mean 10-12% seems optimal for an athlete that wants to be able to survive a long season. People talking about how when you go deep below 10%, you become constantly hangry and lose your energy and libido; yet here we have Moussa Diabate with 2.7% body fat. Even professional body builders do not try to achieve a 2.7% body fat! Surely anything below 6 percent is a bad idea for an athlete? Especially for a center — more body fat means more energy, more strength, more weight, lower chance of injury. We are constantly talking about guys needing to add “15 pounds”

Any thoughts on this? I think that when I had a worse understanding of body fat percentage, I just never really thought about these measurements, but something has to be wrong here.

canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Pro bodybuilders are 2-4% during competition. But yes, sub 5% is crazy! 5-10% Is ideal for a high class athletic athlete. I am sure many are dieting to improve their combine numbers- I agree with below 5% is not needed, or realistic for 99% of people, including pro athletes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login