This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by NorrinRaddNorrinRadd NorrinRadd 3 years ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Viseland decided to rank the NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player from 2011-2021 based on where they are in terms of helping NBA teams currently. Was a fun exercise and was interesting question of where to put Jared Butler, who I think will be a nice guard for some team in the mid to late first, possibly early second range.

https://youtu.be/AEfLk6S_WVE

However, my question is, what is the best NCAA Tournament championship team during that time period? I would roll with 2012 Kentucky, but certainly some debate and some worthy challengers. 2018 Villanova was awesome, 2021 Baylor was a buzzsaw this season. Where would you guys rank these last 10 championship teams?

Still is amazing to me that Kentucky did not make the 2015 NCAA finals. As great as Wisconsin was that year, think so many of us were hoping for Duke against Kentucky, those monster freshman classes.

I think some seasons there have been at least contested ideas of who should have won Most Outstanding Player. It is so much based on a single game as opposed to the entire tournament, which has led to some interesting winners to say the least. Jared Butler deserved it based on the final game, though I am sure most felt like Davion Mitchell was the MVP if you took the entire tournament into account.

Glad to at least have Anthony Davis in this group, though his final game was less than ideal in terms of individual offense. Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier both took the Allen Iverson role around strong defenses and got it done. Lots of cool moments to talk about and updates on where everyone is.

Thanks to all who subscribe, like, share or comment. Really appreciated the support for our Mock Draft eps, will have more draft content very soon.

2+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

That 2012 Kentucky team would be my pick too. Imo you have to go way back to the “untouchables” 96′ Kentucky team to find a team that would defeat them. Ironically another Kentucky team, just a different era. Both teams – I had that feel that they would win the championship before college basketball even started in their respective years. That is how good those teams were. The undefeated UNLV Running Rebels before in that same era were like that too for me.

Of your list of outstanding tournament players, the only thing I would switch – well it’s just a projection. Jared Butler I think will have a better career than Tyus Jones.

Nothing beats memory lane! Thanks!

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login