This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by zolazola zola 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    zolazola
    zola
    Participant

Who is your favorite center in this draft? Filipowski, Clingan, Missi, Ware, Edey…

As a Grizzlies fan, I would like them to pick center. I like all of them, but I think Missi has the most potential and is the best fit. Although other mentioned guys are probably better than him right now, I think Missi has the most room to improve, both physically and skill wise. You can see he can add muscle, unlike Ware, who I fear will stay skinny. Missi already knows what is center’s job in today NBA. Clingan already has well developed body. He will be strong in NBA too, but not so dominant like in college. Yet he will always be slow footed and not so skilled. He is too slow for Ja Morant. I like Filipowski very much, but he will never be plus athlete in NBA. How he will adapt to a smaller role? Missi could become a mix of Steven Adams (strenght, rebounding) and Brandon Clarke (mobility, lob threats) with much better rim protection than both of them.

I’m not a fan of Sarr. He is tweener between 4 and 5. Like for Ware, I’m also concerned that with his body type, he won’t be able to add much muscles. Right now he doesn’t have one bankable skill you can build on. Even if he slips in draft, I wouldn’t pick him before Missi and Filipowski.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

I guess I’m not a Missi guy… My favorites in this draft are Sarr and Kel’el Ware at the top. Sarr’s defense is on a very high level. Bigs that can switch the way he does defensively are special. He wouldn’t be the best Grizzlies fit though. Ware has the shoulders that tell me he can grow into his body. He’ll be more of a tweener for now I guess. Not forever though and might not be the best fit for the Grizzlies either. I like Clingan a lot and think he’ll have success though he’s not a tweener… I’d prefer Clingan over Missi. I get the Missi fit for the Grizzlies though, that’s a good take. I could see why one would take Missi over Clingan. Either way, Missi and Clingan would be fantastic fits for the Grizzlies. Another tweener I’m semi high on is Tyler Smith. He is good at getting to his spots and knocking down that jumper. He’s got good size for a stretch big. I’d prefer Tyler Smith over Filipowski, but again I can see it if one prefers Filipowski.

1+
      zolazola
      zola
      Participant

I have a feeling that Sarr and Ware will never have strong lower body, so they will be pushed in the paint easily. Ware is very skilled and athletic, but seems a bit lazy for dirty work center should do, like screening, boxing out. For me Sarr is ok in 5-8 range, but if he goes first, he would be the rawest top pick since Kwame Brown. His only good skills are swithability on defense and rim protection. He’s not good rebounder, not good paint protector, not good ball handler, not good shooter, not good feel for the game.

But as I say, I would be satisfied if Grizzlies get any of these prospects.

1+
        NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
        NorrinRadd
        Participant

Funny, you used Kwame to compare Sarr. I think Missi is more like Kwame Brown. Sarr’s defense imo will be great, it’s already special. His offense is raw, but time will tell if it improves.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

My list would be against a criteria of how they will perform in the NBA :-
    Sarr
    Clingan
    Ware
    Filipowski
    Missi
    Edey
    Chomche ( the likely youngest guy in the draft so could be one to watch)

I have long thought Sarr was the best big in the draft and I feel Clingan is the best NBA prospect big in the NCAA although at college level Edey is the best C.

2+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

If Memphis was going to go center, I would think Clingan makes the most sense for them, because he offers a different type of body at the position. They will likely still have the Jaren Jackson at center minutes. Brandon Clarke has another three years on his deal, though it is always dicey for someone who relied on his athleticism coming off a torn achilles. The constant injuries have had Santi Aldama play minutes at the 5, which is something the team had to do out of necessity. Long term, the ambiguous 4-5 pairing with him and Jackson isn’t great. Neither of them are good rebounders, and the Grizzlies perimeter players are small. They would get abused. While I have doubts about Clingan’s upside in the NBA, he would be a bigger four-year rookie deal alternative to bringing back Bismack Biyombo to defend, rebound, and be big. While Clingan’s range doesn’t extend much beyond the rim, his hands aren’t bad. He is huge with long arms, and isn’t a bad athlete considering just how big he is. Considering how early they could be picking, I don’t think it is great value, but there is no guarantee they can make a move to bring in Robert Williams, Jonas Valanciunas, Kevon Looney, Andre Drummond, or the like in free agency or a trade to fill that proper big, rebounder, toughness role.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Great point about JJJ not being a great rebounder despite him being one of the very best defensive big men in the NBA. I noticed that Brandon Clarke has returned to the roster after a year out which is great news for Memphis. He can ease himself back in over the last 10 games of the season and hopefully return to full form next season. He is better as a 6th man I feel so I agree that looking for a long term starting C would be ideal for the Grizz.

Aldama has built a solid NBA career and should get a nice extension this year but isn’t a physical type player Memphis had in Steve Adams. Clingan is probably the best fit for them but if they pick inside say top 8 might that be a bit high for him. THey could trade down a few places I guess and I do like Clingan’s fit on Memphis. He can be the big defensive anchor with JJJ playing more on the perimeter and guarding the quicker bigs.

Clingan wouldn’t need to worry so much about his scoring so could concentrate on his defensive duties and he runs the court well for a guy of his size so could get up and down when Ja is running a fast paced offence.

1+
    zolazola
    zola
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with picking any of them in 7-8 range. Wings or guards from this class have a huge holes in their games, I don’t see why are they better prospects than Missi, Clingan or Filipowski.

My impression is that Missi is much better suited for NBA style. He will catch up Clingan with strenght in a year or two, but remain way more mobile. I don’t think Clingan will be good pick & roll player, both defensively and offensivelly and that is the foundation of todays game. Especially when you have player like Ja Morant who is good pick & roll point guard. Aldo Missi will be better suited to guard bigs who can stretch the floor like Wembanyama, Holmgren, even Jokic and Embiid.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login