This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    JDB12
    Participant

Antoine Davis has scored 2,734 points in his 4 years at Detroit Mercy averaging 26.1, 24.3, 24.0, and 23.9 PPG from freshman thru senior year, respectively. Entering his final year as a graduate student he will likely be the 11th player in division 1 history to score 3,000 points, only being 266 away from that milestone. He is also 934 points away from breaking Pete Maravich’s all-time college scoring record set at 3,667 points. In the 30 scheduled games right now for Detroit, not including conference tournament or any other possible post season games, he would have to score 31.2 PPG to break Pete’s record. His freshman year he had his highest scoring production at 26.1 PPG in exactly 30 games equaling 784 points. So he would have to score 5 PPG or 150 more points than he ever has in a season to break it. Again, their 30 games scheduled now are regular season games so they will likely get at least a few more given the Horizon Conference Tournament and possibly the NCAA/NIT Tournament to finish the year, so he could potentially average fewer than the 31.2 PPG and still break it. Despite his resume so far, scoring 30+ PPG will be a tough task and is pretty rare in college basketball. Only 2 players in the past 20 years have averaged 30 PPG or more for a season at the division 1 level.

It should be noted that his father, Mike Davis is the head coach and his brother Mike Davis Jr. is the top assistant so I’m curious as to whether or not Pistol Pete’s record is on their mind or not. Antoine has clearly proven to be a prolific scorer at the college level and has been top 4 in scoring in the country every season he’s played. But it should be noted for those unaware that Pete set his record in 3 seasons at LSU with a career average of 44.2 PPG. And Antoine would be the only player in the 3,000 club with more than 4 seasons played. As far as games played, Doug McDermott has the most played in four seasons among the 3,000 point club at 145 gp. Antoine only has 111 played games in 4 years due to the COVID season and less post season success as Doug. So despite playing 5 seasons he will likely have around the same amount of games played as McDermott at the conclusion of this season for what that’s worth to some of you out there which prompts my questions:

Do you guys believe Antoine can break Pete’s record? If he breaks Pete’s record, does 5 seasons of play tarnish that for Antoine’s legacy as the record holder? Or if broken, will people simply admire he is the record holder and not care about seasons/games played? Also, does a fifth season give him less legitimacy in the 3,000 point club? Finally, would you like to see him break the record, why or why not?

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Good topic…
    Antoine Davis gets an asterisk next to his name for sure imo. I wouldn’t take away what he has done or anything, but an extra season is an extra season. An asterisk next to his name is necessary.

1+
    JDB12
    Participant

Yeah, I understand that. I’ve always been in the pool of thought that is “records are meant to be broken.” But it is interesting given Pete did his in 3 seasons to Davis’ 5. Look at the NFL now, they extended the amount of games in a season last year so it’s likely we’ll see a majority of single season records broken in the next several years as a result… does that take away from the new record holders? Covid happened and imo the extra year of eligibility granted to athletes was justified. One percent of those college athletes don’t go pro, and losing that season was out of their control and devastating for those who thought they would get that season and didn’t. But with that, you can get a situation like this where legendary records could now be broken. But I agree, maybe an asterisk by his name explaining covid situation. But scoring more points is scoring more points no matter how many games are played. As long as the powers that be declare him eligible then it counts. But unique circumstances for sure.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Records are there to be broken but the PPG factors are still there so we can see how long it took someone to reach a feat.

With Davis I assume the level of NCAA ball he plays at isn’t that high as surely after his huge rookie year there would have been draft interest in him otherwise.

2+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login