This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar JazzP 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
    JazzP
    Participant

I am excited by all the high level international talent that will be eligible for next year’s draft.

I came up with a quick sketch of what I think the 2025 draft might look like, alongside NBADraft’s take:

1. Cooper Flagg
    2. Hugo Gonzalez
    3. Dylan Harper
    4. Ace Bailey
    5. Mohammad Amini
    6. Egor Demin
    7. Ulrich Chomche
    8. Kyshawn George
    9. V.J. Edgecombe
    10. Tre Johnson
    11. Killian Malwaya
    12. David Mirkovic
    13. Motiejus Krivas
    14. Flory Bidunga
    15. Jalil Bethea
    16. Bassala Bagayoko
    17. Boogie Fland
    18. Jarin Stevenson
    19. Noa Essengue
    20. Omaha Biliew
    21. Asa Newell
    22. Bryson Tucker
    23. Bogoljub Markovic
    24. Mackenzie Mgbako
    25. Dame Sarr
    26. Derrion Reid
    27. Tyrese Proctor
    28. Ruben Prey
    29. Lee Aaliyah
    30. Naasir Cunningham

31. Ognjen Radosic
    32. Judah Mintz
    33. Wooga Poplar
    34. Rocco Zikarsky
    35. Kylan Boswell
    36. Coen Carr
    37. Pacome Dadiet
    38. Drake Powell
    39. Eli John N’Diaye
    40. Trentyn Flowers
    41. Pat Ngongba
    42. AJ Storr
    43. Tyler Harris
    44. Dillon Jones
    45. Caleb Foster
    46. Maxime Raynaud
    47. Dominique Diomande
    48. Isaiah Evans
    49. Karter Knox
    50. Xavier Booker
    51. Trevon Brazile
    52. Tamin Lipsey
    53. Mehmet Demirel
    54. Josh Ojianwuna
    55. Zvonimir Ivisic
    56. Melvin Ajinca
    57. Harrison Ingram
    58. Kam Jones
    59. Ian Schieffelin
    60. Arthur Kaluma

2+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Funny, I was just looking at your mock this year… was wondering what the updated version would look like… 2025 little surprised Bailey’s not 2, but we’ll see more of those prospects next year of course to find out how they really fair…

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

Great early mock I’d personally have Ace at number 2 I feel him and Cooper Flagg are better than anyone in this year’s draft. I cannot really think about a 2025 draft until we know who is declaring this year and who returns to college.

2+
    JazzP
    Participant

I’m a bit more familiar with Hugo Gonzalez + Dylan Harper and I’m impressed with them, but I recognize completely that Ace Bailey could be/wind up as a better prospect, I do see he seems generally higher rated and I don’t even mean to disagree as much as stick with what I happen to know at the moment.
    I do think Hugo Gonzalez in particular might set a high bar- I can see an argument that a few prospects will have higher potential if Gonzalez gets a sort of “jack of all trades, master of none” reputation, but man there is just nothing that guy does not do at a high skill level.

NorrinRadd, I will update it, sorry for not doing so more often! I don’t think my 2024 Mock looks all that great at the moment, but I think it would at least be fun!

I am probably being optimistic with Mohammad Amini (as usual) and Bassala Bagayoko, but I really don’t think the assessment of their potential is too off the mark, other than that Bagayoko at 17 could wind up being a drastic UNDERESTIMATE.

Mohammad Amini is eligible for the 2024 draft, but he didn’t get any opportunities to play on his senior team in France, and was relegated to the U21 league. However, his senior team is AS Monaco- if he does get to finally play on the senior team next season, he will be playing on an elite team and in the Euroleague, a rare opportunity for prospects (especially prospects who are relatively “underclassmen”).
    And Amini’s U21 stats are pretty ridiculous, especially since he’s still one of the younger players getting minutes there-
    19.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 4.0 apg, 2.5 spg, 0.5 bpg, 2.5 topg on 48/38/64% efficiency (31.2 mpg)
    As a point of comparison, Dominique Diomande (who both NBADraft and I have on our mocks) is only 2 months younger than Amini and a similar height, and these were his stats in the same league:
    16.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.8 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.2 topg on 52/29/69% efficiency (26.8 mpg)

Which is not to knock Diomande at all as much as to express that Amini should absolutely carry a distinction as a noteworthy prospect himself. Amini HAS had the opportunity to get some extended minutes at senior level competition, and that was at the 2023 FIBA World Cup- and he was a little rough on an Iran team that did not do well, but I think it was pretty clear that he was one of the absolute centerpieces of the team at 18 years old. I don’t think he’s quite in the inner circle of elite prospects that could compete for the #1 pick (or at least in a year like 2024 that doesn’t have Cooper Flagg), but I think he genuinely has similarly high potential and shouldn’t be considered too far from that group either.

As far as Bagayoko, I think it all depends on how he recovers from his ACL + meniscus injury and what kind of opportunity he gets this coming season. That’s a rough injury.
    However, I don’t think Bagayoko gets enough credit for just how unreal his rise had been before that happened. Bagayoko was playing in the ACB, last year, when that injury happened. A guy who isn’t even eligible for the draft until next year… was playing in the highest level league that isn’t the NBA as a 16 year old. And not only that– it wasn’t his first season there. He was actually a starter at that time (he didn’t begin the season as a starter but he eventually earned the spot).

He was breaking Luka Doncic records for age and productivity in the ACB. And no, he wasn’t earning minutes against a deep rotation on a great team like Luka was (Bagayoko’s team was pretty bad), but Bagayoko did genuinely seem like one of the best players on his team. He wasn’t exactly a star or dominant but I think he looked like one of the better players in the league. Giving minutes to a 16 year old wasn’t just some ticket filling gimmick. And he was getting more playing time in the ACB than any prospect who was actually eligible for the 2023 draft save for like 2 or 3 players who were 22 years old.
    And Bagayoko’s team was bad, but they weren’t abysmal. It was when Bagayoko got injured that things really went off the rails for them and they got relegated out of the ACB.

I think he needs to find a team and show some of what he already did before. I think it’s good that he was so far ahead of the curve because he did lose some time, and he probably will have to also show some development in a dynamic all-around skillset if he wants to prove himself as a top prospect for 2025. As it was, he was a mobile forward with good fundamentals and a not-quite-reliable-yet 3 pointer, but what he had proven was that he was a consistent and strong role player at the ACB level at that time.

I don’t really know HOW highly to rate him, but if he is able to even successfully return to an ACB rotation at all this coming season I don’t think there’s any way that he isn’t a clear draft prospect.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

The McDonald’s All-American game is tonight… I’ll be tuning into that game rather than the NIT games. It has the makings for a great show if anything… Ace Bailey and company for the West and Cooper Flagg and company in the East… I think the game will be a close one. I guess we’ll find out which side is more talented tonight.

Hitster
    Participant

Will be fun to see Ace and Coioper going head to head might be like Wemby vs Scoot a couple of years back. Also Edgcombe, Harper and Gonzalez with Ace on a very strong West team. But East might have size advantage in frontcourt with Flagg and Bol.

Looking down next year’s early mocks there seems to be a lack of legit frontcourt guys after Flagg until you get down to Newll and Maluach the later who will give Duke a great frontcourt with Flagg. THere are likely to be guys who won’t or shouldn’t declare this year who could be first round picks next year like the Kentucky guys. So maybe someone like Yang does declare then or what about former potential unicorn Baba Miller can he ever be a legit prospect?

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Maybe Hansen Yang’s a 2025 guy??? That could be a big that goes pretty high. There are plenty of other prospects too that should make the top 40. Supposed to be a good draft next year.

Hitster
    Participant

THe top two Ace and Cooper I feel are better prospects than anyone in this year’s draft and them being in the NCAA. Duke have a very strong incoming freshman class so if they get so solid guys returning they could be the team to beat.

Aday Mara was highly touted for this year’s draft but did very little for UCLA this year. I thought he was going to be a prospect between wemby and Edey skillwise so what do I know? He however remains a 7ft 3ins guy with upside so could be one to keep an eye on next season.

Tang if the plays at the Olympics this summer we’ll get a good look at him and could be a big factor of when/if he comes to the NBA.

2+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Dylan Harper’s having a game so far…

Hitster
    Participant

I’ ve not been able to find a link to watch it online in England, not even found the box score to know who has what. I’ve found a rolling update and Cooper Flagg’s block and that is it.

Wemby has another 6 blocks already tonight and his game is only halfway through the 3rd.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

it’s on ESPN

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

East came back and won after a sloppy first half.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Wow, saw Wemby’s highlights last night… it’s only a matter of time before he’s the best player in the world. As for now though, Jokic bested him and there’s a few others who are at their peak best atm that are better. But defensively, Wemby might be it already…

You didn’t miss much in the McDonald’s All American game… In the first half the West looked much more comfortable than the East, although it looked like most kids out there had the jitters. This Fland kid and Queen from the East stole the game at the end with good play and Dylan Harper becoming human in the 2nd half. As for the 2 stars of the show – Ace Bailey and Cooper Flagg weren’t at their best that game.

Hitster
    Participant

Jokic is a double MVP and is one of the favourites to win it again this year if he does that then there is only really the Mount Rushmore guys above him. Wemby now has the most blocks for anyone in a season in the last 8 years and the 2nd most in a single season in 11 years and this is his rookie year! Of the block leaders in this time span only AD has averaged more ppg in his two block leading years than Wemby has this season.

Wemby put up 23/15/8 and 9 blocks to put that in perspective there have only ever been 4 quadruple doubles in NBA history and Wemby has been getting close to one on a few occasions.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

I think this is about my 2025 lottery big board if it were today, although it’s WWWWAAAAYYY early for that…

Cooper Flagg
    Ace Bailey

Tre Johnson
    Dylan Harper
    Boogie Fland
    Hugo Gonzalez
    VJ Edgecomb

Hansen Yang
    Karter Knox
    Dink Pate
    Flory Bidunga
    Ian Jackson
    Drake Powell
    Donovan Freeman

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

I’d be with you on the top 2 and the next few seem logical as they are high in the mocks or shone in last night’s game. Who goes 1st will be interesting as Cooper is pretty much a more compact version of what Chet has been and would be similar player in the NBA I feel.

Cooper is described as Marion mixed with AK47 so that is an all star level player and multiple All Defensive level player. Whether he can be the go to player on a team like say Wemby should become or Tim Duncan/KG other elite defensive bigs who were also high scorers I don’t know. Could he be a 15/10 with 2 plus blocks per game rather than a minimum 20/10 that some guys with an elite defensive game were.

But teams would need a player like Cooper to compete if you put him on any of the teams likely to get a high pick this year he’d be a natural fit and possibly be the player they need to make it back to the play offs.

Ace has maybe that star quality he can be a KG/Edwards/Kyrie etc who is drafted high and carries a team on his scoring. He’ll be a likely highlight reel and has been compared to T-Mac. He has great size for his position and will probably need the likes of Cooper to be able to mark him. He is the sort of guy who will drop 30 points in a night and maybe have the great scoring game whilst Cooper is the more intangibles player and maybe does the hard work.

I’ll be interested to see what Ace’s ball handling and creative play is like. Is he a better player with the ball or having a teammate to create openings for him so he can drive to the basket. At Rutgers how they handle the ball carrying with him, Harper and anyone else will be worth looking out for.

2+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I was so caught up in the McDonald’s game atm, that I gotta say I forgot Khaman Maluach… He will be a top 10 prospect for sure in 2025 barring any major injuries… He’s legit and just slipped my mind.

Hitster
    Participant

NBA Draft Room have Maluch at number 4 on their mock for next year. He has the upside to be as good or better than any big in this year’s draft. With Flagg he’ll give Duke the likely strongest frontcourt in the NCAA. I’d have him down as a lottery possible top 10 pick.

That site also has a 7ft 3ins Aussie big Rocco Zikarsky in their top 10 who I admit that I had not really heard of at all.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Maluach is similar to Alex Sarr, maybe better though as far as shooting and just as mobile. I can see a world where he ends up challenging for the top pick if Ace/Cooper don’t pan out. I think they will though. Idk much enough about Zikarsky yet to know where to rank him other than he’s big.

Hitster
    Participant

Maluach has about 30lbs on Sarr and is a year younger so I figure he’ll be a much stronger player physically come their respective NBA debuts. With Flagg and Maluach likewise with Ace and Harper with them being on their respective teams together we’ll get a great insight into how they compare.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Yeah he’s bigger than Sarr but maybe as mobile. That’s rare. Flagg’s teammate McNeeley on the other hand, question if he’s an NBA player…

Hitster
    Participant

I haven’t heard or seen much of Liam McNeeley apart from he decommitted from his chosen college.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Idk if anyone watched it, I caught the full game highlights, but wow the Nike Hoop summit looked much better than the McDonald’s All – American game. It looked like competitive college teams playing. Anyways, from what I gathered, Flagg and Dybantsa went at it pretty good. USA won the game in the second half though and pulled away.

Hitster
    Participant

I see Chomche played in this game is he declaring this year or not I wonder?

He is literally 2 days old enough to be in this year’s draft so could be a great long term prospect for teams with multiple picks.

2+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I think he’s in this year and I can see him sneaking into the first for a homerun swing pick. Either way, good defender at minimum.

JazzP
      Participant

I think Chomche has said that he wanted to go to college next year at the beginning of the season and has been visiting colleges recently also.

I think there’s enough interest in him for the draft this year and I see him mocked everywhere but I’m assuming that he’s a 2025 prospect.

JazzP
      Participant
    Hitster
    Participant

Yep Thunder at 26 would be logical as they could almost redshirt him and bring him along slowly. I’d have him in my top 8 of C’s in this year’s draft but if teams are looking for NBA ready guys he might fall a bit. But I’d say Minny at 32 would be his downside they can take an NBA ready guy at 28 and then go long term at 32. Him being around Gobert and KAT with no need for him to play big minutes would be a good landing point too IMO.

2+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login