This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard- BothTeamsPlayedHard- 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Making this thread to track promises or theoretical promises.

I think Caleb Houstan has a promise with Toronto at 33 since he declined a combine invite. Caleb played with both Precious Achuiwa and Scottie Barnes at Montverde Academy. When asked what Toronto needs this offseason Nurse said perimeter shooting and more 6’8 guys. Ujiri seconded this. I think its a perfect fit although I also think theres alot of these 6’8 guys who can shoot in this draft and that they are being slept on. I’m not sure Houstan makes it to 33.

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

That is a good promise for Caleb as he is only 44th on the mock site draft. But if a team above Toronto take him is there a lot he can do?

Guys near the top of the draft might say they won’t play for a certain team and you have a potential Steve Francis issue. In more recent years Luka wasn’t keen on the KingsI recall but those are much higher picks so risk to team is far greater.

Would a team with multiple picks in the same draft range promise a player they’d take him at say 20 if for example it was the Spurs who have 20th and 25th picks this year. They might say to a guy we’ll look to take you with one of our late first rounders.

Whoever gets top pick if they make their choice then that guy may well shut down workouts but I’d expect any team with the top pick to look to work out the big 4 at least.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

I have no clue why, maybe someone else does… but Kris Murray has declined too.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Yeah I saw that. The report I saw speculates he is returning to school but also says he isn’t ruling out private workouts. Thats definitely an odd one.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I don’t imagine there are any real promises more than a month out. It is irresponsible on the part of a team to not use the time to vet and assess the class. Caleb Houstan is among a rather large number of first year eligible players who entered after underwhelming seasons. He looks like a prototypical NBA wing, but was hit or miss on whether he impacted a game last year. I think he will stay in the draft and get taken, but is far from so intriguing as to go all-in on him so early.

Kris Murray going back to Iowa makes too much sense. He can emerge from his brother’s shadow while also possibly riding his coattails should Keegan have a good rookie season. Going through workouts is a good thing, and frankly something college coaches should want players to do. They hear from their college coaches every day. Getting a different voice and assessment from the highest level of the sport should be a good thing for young players. Iowa appears to be loaded with 3,4,5,and 6 year players for next year, but there are also a lot of opportunities to shine with Keegan and Jordan Bohannon leaving.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login