This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by bt102bt102 bt102 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author
    GangGreen23
    Participant

Very surprised not to see a few Big Men listed in your Latest mock draft published earlier this week.

Purdue, in particular, has two Frontcourt players to keep track of:
    – Trevion Williams averaged 15 points and 9 rebounds per game. Thats a lot of rebounds per game for a Division 1 player.
    – Zach Edey is 7-foot-3 and just looked dominant in the Under-19 Tournament, outplaying several Big men, including Ibou Dianko Badji. He also held his own against Chet Holmgren.

Lastly, where is Michigan big man Hunter Dickinson? He averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds as a Freshman last season. He will most certainly get Drafted, as he is a Jonas Valanciunas-type throwback Center.

Your website refused to Mock Iowa center Luka Garza, despite all of us telling you to mock him somewhere in the Second Round. He got Drafted, we all knew he would.

Traditional centers may not be en vogue in the NBA anymore but teams still need SIZE to matchup with the Elite big men in the NBA. In the least, they are still needed to patrol the paint and prevent easy Layups for the other team.

Please MOCK these 3 Big Men somewhere in your next Iteration of the 2022 NBA Draft. We all know they will get Drafted, even if its to play only 20 Minutes per night in the NBA.

Thanks.

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

All those guys are in the 50s to undrafted guys as of right now I think so I have no problem with them leaving them out of the mock.

Williams and Edney as of right now I view as a good overseas/GLeague guys. Edney is similar to Dickinson, but not as good.

Dickinson could have a role as an end of the bench guy in the NBA because he is big and has some touch around the rim, but he is not a rotation player as of now he is too slow and is really going to struggle defensively at the next level.

1+
    RUDEBOY-RUDEBOY-
    RUDEBOY-
    Participant

unlike the the 2021 draft ,2022 appears to have alot of intriguing center prospects..drew timme,daimion collins,jalen duren of memphis,i believe chet will play forward at the next level……im eager to watch how much dianko badji & yannick nzosa developes….unc transfer walker kessler landed in auburn..he was trapped in that unc crowded frontcourt..isaiah mobley of usc might be a breakout star…

but i usually dont pay too much attention to mock drafts until around january..after seeing how players react to college experience….so many things can happen, players like chris duarte,josh giddey,davion mitchell & josh primo stock raise..guys like jalen johnson & bj boston preseason top 10 picks struggles in college or have to deal with off court issues ..and players have injury & health issues like jared butler…

1+
    bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

I think Dickenson is just who he is. I think he probably stays another year, is a really good college basketball player and then returns for a junior year, and ends up going in the 50’s in 2023. And honestly GangGreen, the only reason Garza got drafted was because he cut wait and played better at the combine. I barely had him in my top 80 before the combine. I’m still not high on him really at all. You can’t take away the fact that against NBA competition in college he got neutralized. Yes he’s cut down on wait and maybe he can be a Boban type but I just don’t see it.

Honestly the guys I think this mock should have higher is Matthew Mayer (probably a top 20 guy. If Kispert can be a borderline lottery pick, he most certainly can), Julian Champagnie (really don’t know why he wasn’t even there. I thought he was a borderline top 50 guy last year, and I think if he can up his defense a bit i think he goes in the first round this year), Roko Prkacin (what…are…we doing.. like mid-late second. that’s a joke right? Maybe he doesn’t improve and that seems warranted but honestly, I think he’s going to end up being another top 20 guy, maybe even top 10. I really liked him last year, and couldn’t believe he withdrew or anyone didn’t offer a first round guarantee for him. ), Ousmane Dieng/Dyson Daniels (think both of them could end up being top 20 guys, Dieng might be top 10 and Daniels top 20 in like a Moody mold), and are we not expecting TJ Shannon to get drafted at all? Like i’m not the highest on him, but if he can shoot for a full season he’s a second rounder at minimum. and Beard isn’t there. But do agree with the Jamie sleeper. Maybe first round guy.

But all in all, its before the season starts and chances are that some of these are wrong and we all look like idiots but who cares, we just don’t know yet.

1+
      bt102bt102
      bt102
      Participant

Edit: I missed TJ Shannon. even that’s still a bit too low i think at this point.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Maybe its just because I watched Marc Gasol play as the defensive anchor of a championship team being slow footed and unathletic but I still believe in the bigs. Theres definitely less mobile players in the NBA than this version of Garza and his weakness isn’t even his “lateral quickness” or “subpar standing reach”. Its a shame he will get attacked everytime he is on the floor thats just the way it is nowadays in the NBA. He is a bad defender but I disagree when people say its because he’s slow. He has bad reaction and anticipation skills though/.

But like I said before time and time again. He’s gonna figure it out. The guy is a two time back to back National Player of the Year. He’s an excellent player. He shoots the ball lights out. He’s like a bigger Kevin Love. There wont be 20 players better than him in the draft and he will score and rebound if he’s put in the game.

All this talk about disappearing against NBA talent is crazy. That was the scheme taking him out of games not the players. The NBA wont be able to gameplan for Luka Garza every night. He’s gonna feast if he gets minutes from Casey. 2nd best PER behind Azubuike in Summer League and thats with shooting jumphots.

1+
      bt102bt102
      bt102
      Participant

He’s a good per minute producer no doubt. I don’t really think that was the scheme really…like I’m not high on Day’Ron Sharpe but I think Sharpe neutralized him a bit. but Naismith player of the year stuff, it doesn’t mean a lot. like Frank Kaminsky was Naismith Player of the Year. Frank Mason, Jimmer Fredette, Evan Turner, Tyler Hansbrough..doesn’t mean a lot. There are some good players as well but I think Garza could end up being a guy that tears up the G League that never really gets a big shot in the NBA. I want him to succeed. I do. I’m just trying to be realistic. He could dominate overseas too but athletic centers are going to have a field day on him. and if people point out Jokic, yes it is possible but I do not think Garza is nearly as skilled. and on top of that, you had one of the best defensive minded coaches in the NBA in Wes Unseld Jr. making it so he wasn’t a negative on defense. I think him not being there will hurt Denver and Jokic more than people think.

Hitster
    Participant

Marc Gasol had huge experience and a very good basketball IQ when he helped Toronto to the title and had been an All Star, DPOY in his younger days so I’d say he was superior then to anything potentially similar in this draft.

Ironically the Lakers have traded him back to Memphis today to save a load of luxury tax. This looks like the end of Marc’s NBA career as he is back in Spain with his family. But nice he potentially ended it back with Maemphis where he spent most of his career.

1+
    RUDEBOY-RUDEBOY-
    RUDEBOY-
    Participant

for some reason i really was expecting the spurs to acquire gasol…they’ve had interest in him, before memphis dealt to the raptors….being a grizzlies fan marc was 1 of my favorite.mephis ran alot of their plays through him…i thought he had enuff left in the tank to help my lakers with his ability to stretch the floor..he never showed much of that,despite starting several games..it was discouraging to see him plodding up & down the court….if this is his last nba stint,its so nice for him to finish it the same way it started being traded from lakers to memphis..where he became an all star …i think he’ll be in the hall of fame 1 day…..

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

As Mark was drafted by Lakers then traded to Memphis as part of the deal that bought his brother to the Lakers to eventually end his career being traded by the Lakers back to Memphis is a nice symmerty.

I always used to think what would have happened if Lakers had bought him over or even kept his rights. The two Gasol brothers with Kobe would have been fun and when Lakers were crying out for a big during Marc’s peak years it might have extended Kobe’s window a bit more than Pau did but might not have given them the titles Pau did.

Pau I’d assume would be likely HOF lock – two titles, 6 All Star games, 4 All NBA 2nd or 3rd teams, over 20,000 career points, Olympic medals, World Cup winner, numerous European titles.

Marc only has one title, 3 All Star nods, an All NBA first team and 2nd team nod, but was a DPOY and got one All Defensive 2nd Team nod. But like Pau he won Olympic medals and had two World Cup wins along with numerous Eurobasket honours. He also achieved earlier success with Barcelona and Girona. So whilst his NBA body of woek might not be HOF worthy. His career as a whole could make him a borderline contender IMO.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login