This topic contains 107 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 2 years ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Baylor just got knocked off by Oklaholma.

Lets here some of your tourney favorites, contenders and sleepers for remaining conference and the national tourneys. I think Memphis is a team you don’t wanna play if they are lucky enough to make it. I also really like Colorado State, I wanna see them do well. I think Stevens and Roddy are NBA players they are currently playing Utah State in the Mountain West quarterfinals.

Mountain West basketball is the most underrated conference this year. I’ve watched plenty of mountain west basketball this year and I feel like they could make a case for 7 of those teams to make the tourney. They will probably only get 4 teams in Boise St, Col. St., San Diego St. and Wyoming. However UNLV, Fresno St and Utah St. are also very good basketball teams and with a decent run in this tournament could get a look as well.

If I was an NBA scout or talent evaluator I’d be taking a strong look at the seniors in this conference like Abu Kigab BOISE ST, Bryce Hamilton UNLV, Matt Bradley SDSU and more. Theres alot of guys that could be steals.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Justin Bean is another Mount West Senior playing for Utah St. who could get some NBA looks. Lights out effeciency.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

shot in the dark deep sleeper could be Tanner Holden out of Wright State. Maybe Lucas Williamson out of Illinois-Chicago, and Malachi Smith out of Chattanooga too. Out of todays games that Baylor one was definitely a big shocker. Lots of bubble teams are out of their conference tournaments early. Going to be an interesting field of 68… we doing brackets this year?

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

Yeah Malachi Smith has a shot. I actually watched the end of that Chatanooga OT game because Gonzaga was playing next and got to see him play a bit. Right now I’m watching Fresno St and SDSU. All of these Mountain West games today have been excellent. Each game has ended a one possession game. I hope Fresno St wins this one so I can watch more Orlando Robinson.

Also yeah lets do brackets this year. We can make a thread here and in the fantasy league.

1+
          NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
          NorrinRadd
          Participant

Did you see Tanner Holden earlier? He’ll give Mathurin a good match.

OhCanada-
            Participant

Nah I didnt watch it. Ill catch the next one and hopefully thats not the game he goes 1 for 10.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Orlando Robinson went out with a bang. 25 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists and 3/3 from 3pt in a very tight defensive game, his team only scored 46. He did a bit of everything. Switched onto guards, was vocal, very passionate player really took on the demeanor of his coach. Chased down loose balls, posted up smaller players.

If a team picked Robinson over Kessler or Duren I wouldn’t really question it.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Auburn’s getting crushed right now.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Louisiana Tech beat North Texas… 42-36. That’s not a typo… that’s the final score not half time.

DJSCBBB
      Participant

Yeah, I turned to that game and was thinking well they’re about to go to half time and the dude says final. I was thinking the game was cancelled or something.

2+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Other than Kentucky, I don’t think the SEC is all that good. ESPN’s deal with the SEC has them talk that league up as if this is football, but it is a league of horrible shooters who can’t stop themselves from launching all the time. None of those teams are going to have home court advantage anymore. Auburn runs hot and cold, mostly hot at home and cold away from it. The size and length of Kessler and Smith should make them formidable defensively and on the glass, but you only have to look at the Texas A&M game to see what happens when they run into a guy who gets hot. It is not as if Texas A&M is anything to write home about. I don’t think a team that takes as many threes as Auburn does and shoots a collective 32% is going to string together six straight in March. Tennessee has been on a nice run of shooting, but they were a walking scoring drought early in the year. LSU is a terrible shooting team. Arkansas had to go to South Dakota in Stanley Umude to get themselves a guy who can hit better than 1/3, and their whole thing can look ugly when Notae is off his game.

Providence feels like they are on a magical run. All they did was play close games in the Big East, but the Big East is good. They rolled the Big Ten in their crossover event, split with the Big XII, and even the bottom of the league has good non-conference wins. DePaul beat Louisville and Rutgers. Butler took out Oklahoma. Xavier beat OSU, Va Tech, and OK State. I think the perception of the Big East and its players is damaged by its deal with Fox making them invisible to ESPN, and as a result the popular narrative. While being older is a detriment to draft perception, though it has not kept Villanova players from doing well, it is going on more than a half-decade where being older is good for college basketball success. One has to look at Providence’s 8-man rotation. Seven of the eight are 5-year seniors, 4-year seniors, or a redshirt junior. All have big minutes under their belts over their careers. I do not think it is luck that they are pulling so many close games out. A conference tournament final against Villanova would cap the best regular season in that school’s history, and should they knock off Villanova should lock them into a #1 seed, certainly no lower than a #2 seed. It feels a more extreme version of the 2017 UNC title team where they don’t have any standout draft prospects, but are just solid and fearless all over.

2+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Its funny how much these things make a difference. For me I love the fact that they have a deal with Fox because I get to watch it very simply without paying extra or streaming from BS popup ad sites. On the other hand its very clear where the top prospects want to play. ACC, SEC and Pac 12 and then youve got your main schools like Gonzaga, Kansas, Baylor is a new one, etc.

Also CBS has been airing tons of Colorado St. games this year in place of San Diego St. Through the years I feel like I’ve always been able to watch San Diego St. games but this year since Colorado St. has been hot thats what they have been airing. Fine by me.

Anyways point being this all directly effects recruiting. Basketball is extremely odd. These HS players are already businessmen before even being recruited. HS programs at the very earliest levels are trying to find and create stars in order to get sponsored by these major companies like Nike, Adidas, Gatorade or whatever. Its all completely bought out. Thats why Team Canada can never work. Every one of our players has been developed in the mold of Kobe Bryant so when you get Wiggins, RJ Barrett, NAW, Shai etc. on the same team everyone thinks they are the iso first option. Its just a mess.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Big takeaways from the new wave of college basketball commercials:
    -Julius Marble II of Michigan State has to drop the mustache, because he looks a little too much like the guy cheering on Tyler in Reggie Miller’s Wendy’s ad. If he does keep it, he needs to get in the next commercial.
    -The Fighting Sams or Uncle Sams would have been a much better name for Daniel Snyder’s football team, and you definitely could have gotten Samuel L Jackson to sell his name and likeness for the logo and mascot. Why else would he be doing every commercial when he also done something like 170 movies that have grossed $20 billion over forty some years.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

MWC is all as advertised… Boise State just fended off Wyoming and now we get San Diego State favored against Colorado State in Vegas… should be great!

OhCanada-
      Participant

Did you watch the game. Kigab is really good hes sort of a hidden talent in Boise. Hes Canadian too so is Akot.

1+
        NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
        NorrinRadd
        Participant

I watched Boise State/ Wyoming game… Wyoming almost caught Boise State.. Kigab is pretty good.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Trayce Jackson Davis is an intriguing prospect. Reminds me of Bam Adebayo although he was last measured at 6’9 with a 7’0 wingspan. He seems bigger than that. Thats about as big as Precious Achiuwa though so he should be able to play Center at the next level. If he has good measurements at the combine he could rise from a late 1st early 2nd into the late lottery.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I’m curious… what order would you rank these 10 prospects of roughly the same NBA position? This is why it’s a tough draft.

Oscar Tshiebwe
      Trevion Williams
      Trayce Jackson- Davis
      EJ Liddell
      Isaiah Mobley
      Graham Ike
      EJ Williams
      Michael Foster
      Jake LaRavia
      Jaylin Williams

1+
        armchairgmarmchairgm
        armchairgm
        Participant

Tshiebwe- late 1st to early 2nd (Emeka Okafor)
        Lidell- early to mid 2nd (Don’t know comparison, but he play inside and out on both ends of the floor and rebounds well)
        TJD early 2nd to undrafted (David West)
        Foster mid 2nd to undrafted (Julius Randle)
        Rest of guys I don’t really see as being drafted as of right now.

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

This is a tough question brother. I don’t know, but I would have WIlliams, Williams and Williams in the same tier. This is because they all share the same last name.

1+
      armchairgmarmchairgm
      armchairgm
      Participant

Trayce reminds me of David West solid midrange jumper and can score out of post.

2+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Wow Bohannon what a shot. Props to Mccaffrey for not taking that timeout.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I’m very curious as to what will happen with all the super seniors this year draft wise. I think alot of people in the NBA have realized age should not be a huge factor anymore as you seen with Chris Duarte last year going late lotto despite being 38 years old.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Some thoughts.

Despite losing to Boise St. I feel like SDSU is going to be tough to beat depending on where they land, as will all of those Mountain West teams although its different for the rest of the teams in the tournament. The Mountain West teams had all year to scout and gameplan for SDSU. Colorado St. lost to them by 30 in their first matchup. The defense they play with may shock some teams.

Nathan Mensah may not end up drafted but he is an outstanding defender. 6’10 with a 7’4 wingspan last measurement and guard’s every position. He is one offensive skill away from having a very successful pro career, doesn’t quite have the bulk to be trusted fulltime at Center but if he can get a jumpshot developed he will land in the NBA. If Matisse Thybulle can make it work I would try out Mensah and see if I get similar production.

1+
      armchairgmarmchairgm
      armchairgm
      Participant

Go Aztecs my alamater

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Baylor vs UNC today. Memphis vs Gonzaga, MSU vs Duke. Lets fucking go!

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

UNC/Baylor coming down to the wire

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

Took a while for Baylor to wake up there.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Mayer’s gonna be so annoying in the NBA.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

RJ Davis played really well. He’s small though, do you think he’s an NBA player?

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

I don’t know. He doesn’t really feel like an NBA guy, especially with the way the NBA is trending. But he’s a big time player, he was huge in their win against Duke and had 12 assists in their first round game so who knows. After seeing Fred Van Vleet become an allstar and Luka Garza virtually unplayable I don’t rule anything out.

1+
        armchairgmarmchairgm
        armchairgm
        Participant

As of now probably not, but he could develop into one I mean he has two more years left in college to change peoples minds.

2+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Love this Memphis team. Not sure if they close this one out but they are really giving Gonzaga some trouble. Tough gig for the Zags though. They gotta play 20 games in a row against WCC teams which just doesn’t have the length or athleticism of a good NCAA Tournament team and then they run into Memphis, probably the most NBA like team as far as size, length, athleticism goes.

1+
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Drew Timme reminds me so much of Luis scola in terms of playing style it’s not even a joke. He won’t be a high draft pick but I could see him having a solid career.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Idk, but imo Kelvin Sampson would be a great NBA coach if he were doing it now and had the green light to win. This Houston team really out plays their opponents. They just can’t shoot worth anything. Houston should be winning by 30 right now if they could actually make their shots.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Two players that are eliminated here.

Teams might prefer EJ Liddell over Tari Eason and Kendall Brown when looking at versatile forwards. He’s a really good shooter, has that pointforward skillset, played some Center this year, really worked on his body which shows he can add to his game and has a 7 foot wingspan. I think he’s a late lottery mid 1st guy, he’s answered all the questions teams had for him.

Every time I watch Michigan St. this year Marcus Bingham has left his mark on the games win or lose. He’s been around for a while but with the way hes played these last few games I think he may have some serious draft interest. 6’11, 7’4 wingspan which he uses well on the defensive end to disrupt plays and he is a fluid athlete. The jumpshot has looked good, no hesitation. Not sure why Izzo hasn’t played him more he’s clearly their most impactful player.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Mathurin with the dunk of the year in a very tight game.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

The SEC: It just means more missed shots. Seriously, no matter how much ESPN talks up that league, it won’t make them capable of making a jump shot. Six teams, zero opponents with a single digit seed, and only Arkansas survived the first weekend. This is quite possibly the worst showing of a major conference in years, though they might have to invite Wisconsin in with OU and Texas after that shooting display. For the love of all things good in the world, when your team is shooting 1-10 to 1-17 or 2-16 from behind the arc, STOP passing up layups for threes. These games are being played in the 50s and 60s, take the easy ones when they arise.

The depth of the ACC was down. FSU, Virginia, Louisville, and Syracuse were all down, but Duke, UNC, Miami, and the now departing Notre Dame carried themselves well so far. Three Sweet Sixteen teams is pretty good. Still, the committee did everything they could to get Duke to make a run. Getting past Texas Tech won’t be easy. They struggled far more with Michigan State than I thought they would.

It really is a fascinating contrast to see much better the older teams are despite the focus on one-and-done players. Miami and Providence have older rotations than OKC at the moment. Now, OKC is trying to lose, which is why Poku and Maledon are back to getting big minutes but still. In the NIL era, I wonder if the focus is going to be on the transfer portal. Those two are the most extreme, but Texas Tech, Houston, Iowa State, and Arkansas are upperclass and transfer heavy. Kansas and Villanova are upperclass heavy as they tend to be. UNC and UCLA sometimes have one-and-done heavy rosters, but not this year. Purdue has a couple sophomores in Ivey and Edey, but are surrounded by seniors. The one hope is that all the Saint Peters juniors don’t break up and enter the portal but the past decade has really revealed that it is far less likely to build a title team with overwhelmingly one-and-done freshman. One-and-done transfers, on the other hand, seem to be in vogue.

Oh, and it was weird seeing Zed Key so sad at the end of the Villanova-OSU game. He looked like a taller Stephen A Smith after a discussion about the Knicks.

2+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

I think what we are gonna see a ton of these fringe 1st round draft prospects and bigs with no true NBA role returning to school due to the fact that players can now earn money off of their own brand. It allows players to remain patient and develop their games and also enjoy the college life.

Guys like Malaki Branham, Max Christie, Hunter Dickenson, Caleb Love, Armando Bacot, Blake Wesley etc. It should make for an excellent brand of basketball next year and to your point should continue to hurt the SEC when they reach the final tournament because it’s clear the one and done guys seem to be funneled to that conference.

Ben Mathurin just had one of the best performances I’ve ever seen live. Not just the statline, the guy just made big play after big play under extreme pressure. That college basketball pressure gets real tight, all the best players have folded when it hit but tonight he seemed to improve the tougher things got.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I don’t know about one-and-dones being funneled to the SEC. Just looking over the next incoming class, college basketball recruiting still seems regional outside of the blue bloods like Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, etc. I guess the area around Arkansas is having an especially strong year, and the Razorbacks are getting a couple in-staters and one from just across the border in Missouri. My point is that if you are thinking ahead to next year, would you rather be Arkansas starting over (assuming all their seniors leave and Jaylin Williams declares) with a highly regarded freshman class or the portal route? Get me Jaelin Llewellyn out of Princeton, Camren Wynter from Drexel, Fardaws Aimaq of Utah Valley, Payton Sparks of Ball State, and/or Jalen Bridges of West Virginia. The portal list will explode over the coming months. I think all the seniors from the Ivy League still have eligibility, and one has to assume most of them would be down for a Master’s degree for free to go with a little NIL pocket money. Recent history, especially what has been going on in this tournament certainly points to the transfer portal as being the quick fix for a program that either needs a reboot or to fill in for an exiting roster.

It will be interesting to see how NIL changes the decision making process for freshmen who did not have the kind of seasons typically connected to “one-and-done” players (i.e. transitioned easily, duck to water, showed to be ready to take the next step). Jabari Smith is the duck to water type, which is funny because I remember reading about how he was raw prior to the year. He had a great year, and I cannot stop thinking about how he physically resembled Giannis as a rookie. They are very different stylistically, but the same frame. It is why I just cannot justify Chet going ahead of him. You have to consider the difference in body types even if you believe Chet will be good as well. I would assume TyTy Washington leaves. He is not a perfect prospect, and it is hard to really see how good of a point he can be when Sahvir Wheeler had the ball. I do think he showed to be a pretty good tough shot maker, which is a nice thing to have in a guard off the bench should he ultimately prove not to be a point guard. The other Kentucky supposed one-and-dones, Daimion Collins and Bryce Hopkins barely played and didn’t impress when they did. Will their stay be determined by the decision of Tshiebwe, the incoming recruiting class, and ultimately the transfer portal class? Kennedy Chandler seems as though he will declare, but he is a 6-foot guard with a poor mid-range game who relied on getting to and finishing at the rim. As athletic as he is, how many 6-foot guards live at the rim in the NBA? Sharife Cooper is on a two-way contract, and they had very similar freshman years. I don’t imagine Zeigler, Aidoo, or Huntley-Hatfield declare as I don’t think any of them get drafted if they did. LSU could see an exodus post-Will Wade firing, though the next guy figures to have some “strong-@ss offers” done through NIL-compliant means. JD Davison will really be the intriguing one, because it is so easy to see him possibly making the kind of leap Jaden Ivey did from his freshman-to-sophomore year. He didn’t have a good year. He can’t shoot or avoid needless turnovers. I assume he declares, but I can’t imagine coaches on playoff teams will be thrilled to add a guy who will need time with their G-League team with their 1st rounder makes his range pretty wide. The Baylor freshmen somewhat similar in that Kendall Brown and Jeremy Sochan have the physical ability to really rise up the draft next year, and both seem to be in that dicey 1st-to-2nd range.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I see what you’re saying, but I think Brown, Sochan, and even JD Davison would be picked in the first based off of upside alone. They’re ceiling is high if they are coached well. Ziaire Williams and Josh Primo took that route last year. It may have worked for Jaden Ivey, but jury’s still out on Ziaire and Primo. I believe in Primo personally. Both paths can work or go wrong though.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Arkansas got two “one and done” guys, Alabama got two, Florida got one, Auburn got one. Thats a 5th of the top 30 prospects to the SEC and I wouldn’t consider any of those to be blueblood schools like the ones you named. I personally think it is because Jordan Brand, Nike, Addidas wants these kids to be on ESPN and they sort of influence or steer them into that conference. I’m not sure what schools are affiliated with which brands but I’m pretty sure Nike is Kentucky right? Also whats the story between those two prospects going to Lousiana State. Seems kinda odd.

Glad you mentioned Jaelin Llewellyn. He’s an absolute stud. Another Canadian. Playing in the Ivy league he’ll never get any sort of publicity and is a for sure 4 year prospect. The perception is he may not even want to pursue basketball as a career because you know, he’s getting a degree at Princeton. But if he does end up transferring to the SEC like reported just watch, as soon as he transfers everyones gonna know about him, his draft stocks gonna blow up because his games are gonna be broadcast nationally.

@Norrinradd I agree. I think those three are gone. Alabama’s a one and done school. They are bringing in Jaden Bradley next year so its not like Davison’s role is gonna change much. He’s really out of his element playing off the ball. I think he enters and hopes he gets picked up by Denver, Miami, GSW, Memphis or even Toronto one of those late 1st round winning cultures that invests in development.

I’m also not as big a fan of Kendall Brown as I was earlier in the season. I had him as high as mid lottery but during the season Baylor went through some ups and downs with injuries and Brown had plenty opportunities to step into a larger role offensively and it did not seem something he was capable of doing or even interested in doing. Now that can be developed although theres just so many undeveloped forwards in the league that I think its a safer bet to pick the guy like EJ Lidell that has already shown the ability to develop skill and IQ, add to his role every year and change his body. Because lets be honest, most of these young men have been working non stop their entire lives to get to this point and once they get drafted, thats payday baby! You just don’t know how an unfinished product is gonna react to getting paid. Don’t mean to rant but I also think thats what Memphis, Miami, Toronto have figured out. They have seemed to be able to identify which players will put in the work and stay away from the players with ‘I don’t wanna say character issues but’ I guess personalities that won’t resonate with the amount of work that is required to reach that level.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I think Sochan and Brown would go in the 1st. While the top of the draft is formidable, it thins out quickly. The first year eligible crop has largely underwhelmed. The G-League Elite has not been great. Internationally, there are probably more draft-and-stash guys than ones teams will want to bring over next year. I want to find a Hugo Besson game or two to watch. He seems to be faring well on a terrible team, and want to see how much of it is simply playing in lower intensity blowout situations. A number of the more intriguing players are older. This gives much larger spread to assessments and rankings. For programs with big NIL possibilities, where is the line where it is simply a better business decision to stay in school? The money will probably be better than a G-League deal and even a two-way. If they improve their draft stock, it makes sense. The more a team is invested in you, the better. Keon Johnson was discussed as a possible lottery pick, undeservedly, but went in the late 1st to the Clippers. He was traded in the middle of his rookie year. It is career altering going from 1st round to tank warrior in less than a year.

Any way, Sochan and Brown have the physical makeup where they probably are elevated in standing the closer the draft comes, but it is no lock. For as athletic as he is, I am less sure of a team being sold on Davison. I keep comparing him to Jaden Ivey, but that is because I don’t think teams would have trusted Ivey a year ago. Now, he seems like a top 5 lock. Who is Portland going to be more invested in next year, top 5 pick Ivey or trade add-in Keon Johnson?

2+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

And yeah thats what I mean. I think were gonna see this year how the NIL effects the draft. I mean for Oscar Tshiebwe your probably wanna do your 4 years in Kentucky rather than get drafted with the 45th pick to be an energy guy in practice and average 15 rebounds per game in the G League right? The guy should be able to break a mil per year in Kentucky as the countries “best big” if he’s got half a brain. But your probably not doing that at a school out East. Should be interesting to see.

As for Keon Johnson again another SEC school. One and done. Same with Chandler and Springer. None of those guys should be one and done prospects.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Upset alert:

Gonzaga looks like they’re going down to Arkansas… going to be a barn burner…

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

I missed the game. Notae went 9 for 29 and they won? Gonzaga just can’t win playing out of the WCC. They just don’t go through the same obstacles as teams in the competitive conferences. They don’t see enough controversy or have enough of those learning moments.

Arkansas has a really good recruiting class next year so they maybe SEC favorites in preseason despite losing a bunch of guys.

1+
      Hitster
      Participant

Huge win for the Razorbacks Eric Musselman has taken them deep into March Madness two years in a row now and is probably the best side they have had since Nolan Richardson’s side won title and reached final the next year.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

Terrence Shannon didn’t even wait a day before entering the transfer portal. He entered the draft last year, returned as a pre-season Wooden candidate, but had an up-and-down junior year. He has the size and athleticism to still get drafted if he finds the right fit in his new school. He is certainly one of the more interesting players in the portal so far, though with it being like 700 people long there might be a few other candidates.

2+
    Hitster
    Participant

Would Shannon have to redshirt next season if he transfers colleges which would mean he’d not be able to declare until 2024 draft after his senior year and would be pushing 24 then?

OhCanada-
    Participant

Should be a good game for Edey to showcase himself here against St. Peters. I personally think he’s a four year guy though.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

As good as Ivey is – it’s like he only knows 1 speed… hold down turbo button!

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

Madness. What am I even watching. I know its not like 20 years ago the talent gap between the 1 seed and 15 seed isn’t like it used to be but my god. Is this team really gonna make it to the regional finals?

1+
          NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
          NorrinRadd
          Participant

I mean… when’s it time to call them the real deal? Idk if they have an NBA player, but damn! That second Ivey shot almost dropped…

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Upset alert!!! St. Peter’s vs. Purdue…

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Huge rebound by Gillis! Thats their PJ Tucker, Jae Crowder utility guy. Always makes big plays for Purdue.

What a fantastic game. One for the ages for sure.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Wow. Ivey’s a cold mutherfucker I thought he was gonna make that. This is crazy.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I hope you’re right about Edey being a 4 year guy. No way anyone pushes him around. He out Cockburn’s – Cockburn. He’s a dominant, yet one dimensional player.

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

Man you gotta wonder what Ivey would have done on a team like Gonzaga or Arizona that wants to run and take quick shots, has shooters surrounding him. At the next level like you said he’s got that John Wall athleticism and size. What if Wall developed a jumper? What if Wall went anywhere but that Washington Wizards shit show and got real vets instead of Gilbert Arenas crazy ass? I think Ivey has proven he will add to his game.

1+
          NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
          NorrinRadd
          Participant

Couldn’t agree more, but I think unlike Wall and Westbrook and Morant like he’s often mentioned with, I think he would be a phenomenal secondary ball handler instead of the main point. He would be better in both the half-court game and in transition. What if somehow, he played with LaMelo or even Conley or something…

1+
            OhCanada-
            Participant

A Haliburton Ivey dribble hand off would be pretty scary.

1+
              Hitster
              Participant

I agree Jaden Ivey would thrive as a secondary ballhandler playing mainly as an SG in the NBA> He hasn’t been a prolific assist creator in the NCAA and cannot always try to play Heroball and carry a team on his own. Alongside a good point player he can use his size and quickness to create openings and with a couple of shooters on the wing and in the frontcourt it would really spread the play for whoever drafted him.

Plus you get your backcourt sorted as I bang on about..

THe NCAA Elite 8 is really hotting up lots of powerhouses and legendary coaches still in the mix, Coach K, Self, Wright plus the Tar Heels under a 1st season coach. Houston with Sampson went close last year and would be a good redemption story. Veteran Jim Larrañaga at the Hurricanes doing what he did with George Mason 16 years ago. Plus of course Shaheen Holloway with the strutting St Peter’s Peacocks being the biggest shock so far.

I could well see a few NBA teams looking to rebuild keeping a close eye on Shaheen if HC vacancies arrise given how he has made his unfancied team gel together so well.

2+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Is Jaylin Williams the biggest winner of the tournament? I’d be much more comfortable drafting him over Sochan for the same role.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I see that right now as the better player, but I think Sochan has a higher ceiling.

This UNC/UCLA game is going to the wire too…

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

UNC looking like they got this one. Both Pac 12 teams lose, and ACC is finding ways to win.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

That UNC backcourt is just so tough. Even if one is cold the other is on fire.

Kameron McGusty looks like a pro right now. Hes unstoppable. Hits a three makes a layup and theb locks his man up to force a travel.

1+
        NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
        NorrinRadd
        Participant

Kansas looks the part of a 1 seed, but Miami (FL) can give them problems the way they play the game. Houston vs Villanova is going to be maybe the best game of the tournament… should be a war. Then Duke looks maybe like they’re the team to beat now… Arkansas did just beat the Zags, something they have in common with Duke. And finally UNC/St. Peter’s… Idk who will win these games at this point, but I’m rooting for the underdogs in St. Peter’s!

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Here we go!!!

OhCanada-
    Participant

Houston’s been bullying teams and shocking them with their intensity and energy. Villanova was not phased. Hit them in the mouth the same way and kept them in check all game. Well done.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Jaylin Williams with some amazing passes.

Take a shot everytime Notae takes a shot.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Miami vs Kansas on CBS in the elite 8 soon… and the quarter picked Miami. Should be a good game, seems like the ACC is a bit underrated. Kansas is playing great though.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Is Sam Waardenburg an NBA level player? He’s gotta be getting some interest right. At the very least he gets a camp invite.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Probably a camp invite based on how hard he plays.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I havent been a fan of Agbaji his entire career. He’s always come across as an underachiever. This tournament hasn’t helped that perception.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

me neither, but intel says he’s getting picked high.

Hitster
    Participant

Has Kameron McGusty played himself into the first round?

He is putting up some big performances in crucial games so could really appeal to contenders down the draft who want a bench scorer who has had a lot of college experience.

2+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Idk about first, but he’s on the radar to be drafted now for sure…

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

He’s 25 years old by the time he plays his first game. 2016 recruiting class same as Tatum, Giles, Lonzo Ball and Josh Jackson. That being said shooting is the most difficult skill to acquire and doesn’t matter what age he is teams will be interested and will use a 2nd round pick on him. Probably in the 40 range maybe earlier. I could see Miami drafting him first round but there maybe alot of similar players in this draft depending on who enters.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

That first half was close. Then Kansas took off. When Christian Braun switched on McGusty, Braun disrupted his rhythm. Braun imo is drafted somewhere in the mid draft. I like his game a little more than McGusty’s…

Hitster
    Participant

Kansas came on strong the second half. McGusty being pushing 25 could go against him but he is a pretty polished player and would as I say be a ready to use bench guy. It could depend what the contenders still have available when they draft but Miami at 27 and GSW at 28 would look ideal fits IMO.

Would Braun consider declaring I wonder especially if he has a good finals weekend or would the lure of returning for his senior year on a strong team appeal. He only turns 21 next month so would still only be 22 if he stayed another year and then went into the draft automatically.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I think Braun gets drafted this year, so he declares. He probably goes in early 2nd somewhere.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Caleb Love is playing pretty smooth and silky basketball right now.

Hitster
    Participant

Bacot dominating another game has improved year on year with the Tar Heels but is he athletic enough for the NBA where he will be up against guys he may not be able to overpower?

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

That’s a good question. Crazy how he’s with Tim Duncan in double doubles. It’s too bad the games today aren’t like they were yesterday. UNC looks for real though.

Hitster
    Participant

Bacot is a beast and if he could run the floor in NBA paced games he’d be a legit prosect. For him to only listed in top 50 of next years draft seems to low to me. He’s not the greatest FT guy but he could be an impact scorer off the bench for an NBA side and if he is a prolific rebounder then he is doing the key things that teams want from a big man. Plus he has had time under Roy Williams and now Hubert Davis so is getting good coaching and playing on a powerhouse team.

I’d think he’d need to have a solid promise to declare this year and lot would depend on Finals weekend. If the Tar Heels win then he may throw his hat into the ring as his draft stock would be high if he continues his form. But if they come up short he may have unfinished business.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Bacot is a really good summer league guy to me who can maybe carve out a career… Manek I think has a slightly better shot at making it than Bacot. Bacot isn’t the athlete to compete with a Jarrett Allen or the power to match with an Enes Kanter.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Not sure how Bacot projects at the next level. He doesn’t really have the lateral quickness or perimeter skill you want from your bigs nowadays but you can never really count someone out. Hes better off just staying his 4 years despite what outcome UNC has this year. I’m sure he’s able to make more at UNC than a 2nd round pick.

Manek doesn’t have the athletic ability to thrive in the NBA. He gets killed in transition at the college level. Another guy that as soon as he steps on the floor teams are gonna be attacking him until he shows he can get stops, as unfair as it is.

Braun should enter the draft. Maybe if he stays he can take another role and further increase his skill although its doubtful he increases his stock from here. He’s being projected as a late 1st early 2nd rounder and thats before the tournament.

Not sure if Jaylin Williams enters. Arkansas has a ridiculously good recruiting class next year so he may wanna stay and see what happens but I think he could go as high as late lottery if he enters this year. I see him as a similar prospect as Jeremy Sochan and a guy who could compete with the traditional bigs like Duren, Williams and Kessler for draft position as a more modern big.

Pretty interesting after all those upsets we are left with arguably the 4 largest powerhouses in the past 20 years other than Uconn. Duke vs UNC and Kansas vs Villanova. Kinda been spoiled this year, college basketball has been really fun.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

Yes the Final 4 does have a familiar ring to it. I’d throw Kentucky in as one of the other big sides over the last 20 years.

Jaylin isn’t even listed on the site’s mocks as far as I can see but he ticks a lot of boxes for the type of player NBA teams like at the moment. They have Nick Smith coming in who is a top level prospect and a local lad so they could have another side who could go deep next season. After making the last 8 two years in a row they are building a reputation of being a top college team which will entice future talent.

Talking of recruitment how do people think that it will effect Duke without Coach K and Jon Scheyer in charge?

Jon has been clearly groomed for the job and has had several years learning from Mike K and was part of his playing roster too so knows the team inside out. Duke has been a powerhouse for so long but all their titles have come under Coach K. They had a good side in the early to mid 1960’s but the vast majority of success is down to one man and whilst some assistants notably Quin Snyder have gone onto success Coach K’s coaching tree isn’t as big as you may think.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I thought LSU would face an exodus after firing Wade, but they don’t have a scholarship player left. Was he making those strong@ss offers out of his own pocket? It is not as if he was a good coach where guys couldn’t imagine being coached by anyone else.

2+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

I knew something was up with LSU. Something just didn’t seem right on how they recruited those top 20 players. Traore goes to Auburn and Phillips probably to Tennessee or FSU.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Round 2 Lets Go! This feels like the superbowl!

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Villanova really needed to be healthy that game. That tight rotation had no chance. Kansas probably would have won regardless though. They played great. Don’t know where I’m siding or who I think will win in this UNC/Duke game…

OhCanada-
    Participant

They must of cloned Coach K at some point because the Coach K I know would never leave Theo John in the game with 3 fouls.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

This game is definitely as good as advertised.

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

I just want OT at this point. Probably wont see another basketball game like this in my life.

1+
          NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
          NorrinRadd
          Participant

That was a fantastic Caleb Love shot

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

The statues of Love, Davis, Bacot, Leaky, and Manek are already being commissioned, but making it so each of them are waving good bye to Coach K and placing them randomly throughout the city is just needlessly petty.

3+
    Hitster
    Participant

Caleb Love was huge in the semi final and Bacot was a beast around the boards. The Coach K joke was funny give Duke have so many projected guys to be first round picks this year. But don’t feel too sorry for them they have another loaded recruiting class coming in.

Ochai Agbaji is the guy who could really move into the top 8 or so of the draft with a big finals game. Brandy “Daniel Bryan” Manek I can see getting drafted. But I don’t see how he can be ahead of Bacot in any mocks now.

Caleb Love can certainly play himself into the first round too. It will be interesting to see how the result affects what Love and Bacot do as regards declaring. If they win they have a title but the temptation of a repeat could appeal. If they lose they have unfinished business but would they want to give it another year?

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Yeah I think someones gonna pick Agbagi in the first 20 or so picks but I’d pass personally. I just don\t see the upside, I think you get a very good 3 and d player but he hasn’t quite shown me enough creativity for me to wanna draft him in the lottery. But if your just asking him to play a Duncan Robinson role it should be a homerun pick.

I don’t see why Love can’t be the 2nd or 3rd point guard off the board. I haven’t seen Ty Ty Washington play that well. That was probably the most tense and built up college basketball game I’ve ever watched and he performed so well. I mean if I’m drafting and dumping resources into someone I want that person to have whatever it is that Caleb Love has that makes him perform so well under pressure. You cannot teach that. Maybe overreacting to one game but that game will never happen again. Thats a special performance in a special game and its not the first time he’s gone off like that in tournament play.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

I feel the same way about Agbaji. That’s a good analogy on him. Agbaji’s a good athlete, but not elite. Caleb Love is solid too. He has improved his shooting enough to maybe get picked in the 1st. Not sure if you caught TyTy at his best. I don’t think he ever recovered fully from his ankle injury and Kentucky lost a step once that happened. After beating Tennessee their first match, TyTy had 17 assists at full speed and really took it to Kennedy Chanler. Not saying he can do that every night, but he has potential to do some damage still. I mean it’s possible Love goes before TyTy, but if you were looking for a true point guard, TyTy might be the purest point guards offensively in the draft. Most other guys are combo guards or secondary ball handlers or something. I guess I think TyTy will still get picked first between he and Love ultimately, but it wouldn’t shock me if Love was picked before him.

1+
        OhCanada-
        Participant

Yeah your right I definitely overreacted. Still think Love is a good pick in the late 1st early 2nd stage of the draft but yeah TyTy definitely was heating up and I watched that game he got injured and how it sort of sucked all the energy out of the building when he got hurt, everyone was wondering if Sharpe would suit up after that.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Sooooooooooooooooooooo…… Who’s going to win the NAT tonight??? UNC or Kansas?

I’m leaning towards a UNC upset here. Should be close.

Hitster
    Participant

I’m favouring the Jay Hawks but I think it will be really close.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

If they do win, I think Christian Braun could be the unsung hero. I like that clutch gene that Caleb Love has been showing though… Remy Martin has to hold his own this game too.

Hitster
    Participant

Wonder if Bill Self gets soaked if Jayhawks win then we find out if it is a toupee or not?

2+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Looks like Manek doesn’t miss much from that spot.

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Hopefully we get another OT game!!!

NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Bacot… ouch! Looks like that’s game too…

Hitster
    Participant

Really good game managed to just watch extended highlights here in England. David McCormack came up big in last couple of games, probably will get a 2nd round pick now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login