This topic contains 44 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar sitlbito 8 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    hair of the barnes
    Participant

Now that it’s posted what do y’all think?  Of course it’s 2 years away and many many things change, but it’s always fun to postulate and try to predict the future.  

This looks like a really good class of HSSrs, and thus looks to be a strong 2017 draft.  If I were to guess, I would think that some of the incoming freshmen look to be late bloomers, or not one and done guys and could potentially spill over to 2017 also.  Anyways, I was just gauging what people thought, I’m curious what people think (I’m sure there will be some hoopla of Thon Maker at 24, personally I’d have him going at least lottery).  There are also a couple of interesting international prospects that I did not realize had risen so much.   

ph90702

UNLV will be more represented than just Stephen Zimmerman.

ph90702

UNLV will be more represented than just Stephen Zimmerman.

Shayok
    Participant

There should be no hoopla about Thon Maker at #24 in the 2017 mock draft. He dominated Edrice Adebayo at the NBA top 100 camp and walked away with the MVP trophy. He then went head to head with this sites "Mr. Everything" DeAndre Ayton and obliterated him by dropping 23pts and 17 rebounds to Ayton’s 7pts and 6reb. A few days ago Maker continued his onslaught. This time it was Josh Jackson. Maker had 25pts and 15reb in the win. Jackson checked Maker valiantly and had a very good game with 12 pts and 8ast. 

This site is consistent. Consistently hating on Thon Maker. 

alexsonic60
      Participant

Don’t forget Maker is older plus Jackson is a guard plus Ayton was just recovery from his injury.

Maker is good, but no the greatest.

Shayok
        Participant

Jackson is older. According to his profile on USA basketball Josh DOB is 02/10/1997. Maker DOB 02/25/1997. 

TRC1991
          Participant

Damn, Shayok throwing facts and stats ONLY down on people’s foreheads. Points for u sir. 

TRC1991
          Participant

Damn, Shayok throwing facts and stats ONLY down on people’s foreheads. Points for u sir. 

Shayok
        Participant

Jackson is older. According to his profile on USA basketball Josh DOB is 02/10/1997. Maker DOB 02/25/1997. 

alexsonic60
      Participant

Don’t forget Maker is older plus Jackson is a guard plus Ayton was just recovery from his injury.

Maker is good, but no the greatest.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

DeAndre Ayton was in foul trouble that game when Thon Maker went off.

Josh Jackson was the biggest person on his team and most say he played Thon Maker great when they went head to head, Josh Jackson played more of a facilitator role on his team, and Thon Maker didn’t actually guard Josh Jackson.

Yes, Thon Maker should be way higher on this site mock draft. But, those stats you brought up don’t justify him being way higher. I believe he’s should be higher because he’s finally playing like a big man, he have one of the best motors in the class, and that he gotten significantly bigger in the upper body.

I would also put Malik Monk in the top 10 in this mock

Shayok
        Participant

DeAndre Ayton was in foul trouble because of Maker’s versatility. He was able to stretch Ayton and take him off the dribble. He drew 3 fouls in the 1st half against Ayton. In the 2nd half he give him his 4th. 

Stats do matter on big stages like these. When Maker did not "perform well" (10 reb in 14 mins playing time) at the hoop summit it did matter. His field goal (1-5) was brought up on this site. 25pts and 15 reb against a 6’8" athletic freak of nature is very good. When Maker did guard Jackson he did not score. 

ChicagoCasey
          Participant

Most people attacked Thon Maker not because of stats, it’s because he played poorly. Stats won’t tell you that he looked lost out there in at the Nike Hoop Summit. At the Nike Hoop Summit he did struggle with contact, struggle finishing over length, and he did look lost out there.

You should know stats don’t tell the whole story.  So because Ayton was in foul trouble he didn’t put those "stats" on him. Stats don’t tell you how you got your points, who guarded you to get those points, and what part of the game did you put up those stats.

WOW!!!!  He put up monster numbers on an undersized team. LOL. Most people said he played great defense on Thon Maker. If you look at stats you would say he dominated, but you would’t know who was guarding him at the time. 

ChicagoCasey
          Participant

Most people attacked Thon Maker not because of stats, it’s because he played poorly. Stats won’t tell you that he looked lost out there in at the Nike Hoop Summit. At the Nike Hoop Summit he did struggle with contact, struggle finishing over length, and he did look lost out there.

You should know stats don’t tell the whole story.  So because Ayton was in foul trouble he didn’t put those "stats" on him. Stats don’t tell you how you got your points, who guarded you to get those points, and what part of the game did you put up those stats.

WOW!!!!  He put up monster numbers on an undersized team. LOL. Most people said he played great defense on Thon Maker. If you look at stats you would say he dominated, but you would’t know who was guarding him at the time. 

Shayok
            Participant

Your initial argument was that he should be higher because he was playing as a big man finally but it was his guard skills that had DeAndre Ayton in foul trouble. Ayton also could not keep him off the offensive boards. He could not run with him and therefore was in foul trouble. He could not defend him off the dribble. In the new NBA with no hands allowed Maker is a nightmare. To discount the fact that it was Maker’s talent and skill package that forced Ayton to sit is to not understand basketball. The game is about forcing the mismatch, just ask the Cleveland Caveliers. Furthermore by all accounts this was an All American camps and there were other bigs on Aytons team. Therefore it is untrue to say he played against an undersized team. The next game he had 16pts and 21reb.  

At the Hoop Summit he did not struggle in the practices by most accounts but did not play well in his 14 mins 10 reb effort. Furthermore he played Ayton in California during the hs season and the same results happened. Maker win Maker dominant. What was the excuse then when he got in foul trouble in California? Jackson was too small at 6’8" Ayton was hurt and in foul trouble, what about Adebayo. 

All of these kids have a bright future in the game. Just give Thon credit for is performance of  23pts&17reb and  25pts&15reb against superb talents like Ayton and Jackson. 

Shayok
            Participant

Your initial argument was that he should be higher because he was playing as a big man finally but it was his guard skills that had DeAndre Ayton in foul trouble. Ayton also could not keep him off the offensive boards. He could not run with him and therefore was in foul trouble. He could not defend him off the dribble. In the new NBA with no hands allowed Maker is a nightmare. To discount the fact that it was Maker’s talent and skill package that forced Ayton to sit is to not understand basketball. The game is about forcing the mismatch, just ask the Cleveland Caveliers. Furthermore by all accounts this was an All American camps and there were other bigs on Aytons team. Therefore it is untrue to say he played against an undersized team. The next game he had 16pts and 21reb.  

At the Hoop Summit he did not struggle in the practices by most accounts but did not play well in his 14 mins 10 reb effort. Furthermore he played Ayton in California during the hs season and the same results happened. Maker win Maker dominant. What was the excuse then when he got in foul trouble in California? Jackson was too small at 6’8" Ayton was hurt and in foul trouble, what about Adebayo. 

All of these kids have a bright future in the game. Just give Thon credit for is performance of  23pts&17reb and  25pts&15reb against superb talents like Ayton and Jackson. 

ChicagoCasey
              Participant

So if DeMarcus Cousins dominates Andrew Wiggins would you give him credit? No because Wiggins is much smaller than he is and suppose to dominate. You also cannot use stat lines to use to say one player dominate a particular matchups because most people at the event said that Josh Jackson played great defense on him and he had 4 blocks. 

Thon Maker wasn’t a standout in practice while getting "outplayed by a considerable margin by Skal Labissiere". That’s from Sam Vecenie from CBSSports.com. And he showed "below averaged basketball instincts" and "the game was too fast for him" from draftexpress.com. He wasn’t very good at the Nike Hoop Summit and I thought he was the third best big on his team, behind Skal Labissiere and Cheick Diallo.

I never discounted his talent and his skill level. I believe Maker is a top 6 player in this class, behind Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk, and De’Aaron Fox. I fell like he’s a great talent and had gotten significantly better since his poor high school year (by many he had a poor high school year), and in the spring. He had a great top 100 camp and a great AAU season.

And in January DeAndre Ayton had 9 points 13 rebounds 4 assist and 4 blocks, while Thon Maker had 17 points 5 rebounds 3 assist and 2 blocks. I won’t call that dominating when you said Ayton was in foul trouble.

ChicagoCasey
              Participant

So if DeMarcus Cousins dominates Andrew Wiggins would you give him credit? No because Wiggins is much smaller than he is and suppose to dominate. You also cannot use stat lines to use to say one player dominate a particular matchups because most people at the event said that Josh Jackson played great defense on him and he had 4 blocks. 

Thon Maker wasn’t a standout in practice while getting "outplayed by a considerable margin by Skal Labissiere". That’s from Sam Vecenie from CBSSports.com. And he showed "below averaged basketball instincts" and "the game was too fast for him" from draftexpress.com. He wasn’t very good at the Nike Hoop Summit and I thought he was the third best big on his team, behind Skal Labissiere and Cheick Diallo.

I never discounted his talent and his skill level. I believe Maker is a top 6 player in this class, behind Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk, and De’Aaron Fox. I fell like he’s a great talent and had gotten significantly better since his poor high school year (by many he had a poor high school year), and in the spring. He had a great top 100 camp and a great AAU season.

And in January DeAndre Ayton had 9 points 13 rebounds 4 assist and 4 blocks, while Thon Maker had 17 points 5 rebounds 3 assist and 2 blocks. I won’t call that dominating when you said Ayton was in foul trouble.

ChicagoCasey
              Participant

Shayok
                Participant

Andrew Wiggins should be able to make DeMarcus Cousins pay when he is matched up against him. In the possessions that Maker checked Jackson he did not make him pay. Jacksons 4 blks were against other players not Maker. Aytons stats came when the game was a foregone conclusion. All of these games are online or have been online. Maker was said to have an up and down week at the hoop summit. As for his high school season I did not see enough to comment. 

I belive Dennis Smith, Jayson Tatum, Josh Jackso, Harry Giles, and Thon Maker are the top 5 in any order on any day in this class. I also think that Adebayo and Miles Bridges will be special when it is all said and done. 

Shayok
                Participant

Andrew Wiggins should be able to make DeMarcus Cousins pay when he is matched up against him. In the possessions that Maker checked Jackson he did not make him pay. Jacksons 4 blks were against other players not Maker. Aytons stats came when the game was a foregone conclusion. All of these games are online or have been online. Maker was said to have an up and down week at the hoop summit. As for his high school season I did not see enough to comment. 

I belive Dennis Smith, Jayson Tatum, Josh Jackso, Harry Giles, and Thon Maker are the top 5 in any order on any day in this class. I also think that Adebayo and Miles Bridges will be special when it is all said and done. 

ChicagoCasey
                  Participant

No, Andrew Wiggins should not be able to guard DeMarcus Cousins. DMC have about 65 pounds on Wiggins and he have a great post game. And you should expect Russell Westbrook to be able to be able to gaurd LBJ in the post, either. A shooting guard shouldn’t be able to check a power forward/center.

These games weren’t online and Josh Jackson vs. Thon Maker wasn’t as the Top 100 camp, the game was at the Under Armour Finals.What was the link to the website which you saw these matchups?

I don’t have Dennis Smith as a top guard in this class. I have him potentially 4th or 3rd point guard. I have him behind De’Aaron Fox (who outplayed him at the Nikeeybl when  Smith played for team Penny in session 3), Kobi Simmons,  and potentially Malik Monk if he can convert to a full time point gaurd.

ChicagoCasey
                  Participant

No, Andrew Wiggins should not be able to guard DeMarcus Cousins. DMC have about 65 pounds on Wiggins and he have a great post game. And you should expect Russell Westbrook to be able to be able to gaurd LBJ in the post, either. A shooting guard shouldn’t be able to check a power forward/center.

These games weren’t online and Josh Jackson vs. Thon Maker wasn’t as the Top 100 camp, the game was at the Under Armour Finals.What was the link to the website which you saw these matchups?

I don’t have Dennis Smith as a top guard in this class. I have him potentially 4th or 3rd point guard. I have him behind De’Aaron Fox (who outplayed him at the Nikeeybl when  Smith played for team Penny in session 3), Kobi Simmons,  and potentially Malik Monk if he can convert to a full time point gaurd.

Shayok
                    Participant

If you were to read my post closely about Wiggins vs Cousin you would understand that I am speaking about Cousins guarding Wiggins on the offensive end which Maker did guard Jackson on several occasions and he did not score or get fouled. Jackson did beat Maker of the dribble but he recovered and blocked his shot. Maker weighs 215lb and Jackson is usually listed around 200lb. The disparity is between 15lb-20lb not 65lb. So the intelligent analogy would be( in terms of height to weight ratio )Wiggins guarding Durant. I am not saying Maker is Durant on the offensive end at all so let’s not get into that argument. 

The hs games were online for Ayton vs Maker and I never said the top 100 camp for Maker vs Jackson or Maker vs Ayton. Maker matched up with Adebayo in the top 100 camp. 

Dennis Smith was not playing with his regular AAU team and it was his 1st run with that team. He was not the primary guard in that situation. His body of work speaks for itself. Now that he is teamed with Adebayo you see his PG skills. 

Shayok
                    Participant

If you were to read my post closely about Wiggins vs Cousin you would understand that I am speaking about Cousins guarding Wiggins on the offensive end which Maker did guard Jackson on several occasions and he did not score or get fouled. Jackson did beat Maker of the dribble but he recovered and blocked his shot. Maker weighs 215lb and Jackson is usually listed around 200lb. The disparity is between 15lb-20lb not 65lb. So the intelligent analogy would be( in terms of height to weight ratio )Wiggins guarding Durant. I am not saying Maker is Durant on the offensive end at all so let’s not get into that argument. 

The hs games were online for Ayton vs Maker and I never said the top 100 camp for Maker vs Jackson or Maker vs Ayton. Maker matched up with Adebayo in the top 100 camp. 

Dennis Smith was not playing with his regular AAU team and it was his 1st run with that team. He was not the primary guard in that situation. His body of work speaks for itself. Now that he is teamed with Adebayo you see his PG skills. 

ChicagoCasey
              Participant

Shayok
        Participant

DeAndre Ayton was in foul trouble because of Maker’s versatility. He was able to stretch Ayton and take him off the dribble. He drew 3 fouls in the 1st half against Ayton. In the 2nd half he give him his 4th. 

Stats do matter on big stages like these. When Maker did not "perform well" (10 reb in 14 mins playing time) at the hoop summit it did matter. His field goal (1-5) was brought up on this site. 25pts and 15 reb against a 6’8" athletic freak of nature is very good. When Maker did guard Jackson he did not score. 

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

DeAndre Ayton was in foul trouble that game when Thon Maker went off.

Josh Jackson was the biggest person on his team and most say he played Thon Maker great when they went head to head, Josh Jackson played more of a facilitator role on his team, and Thon Maker didn’t actually guard Josh Jackson.

Yes, Thon Maker should be way higher on this site mock draft. But, those stats you brought up don’t justify him being way higher. I believe he’s should be higher because he’s finally playing like a big man, he have one of the best motors in the class, and that he gotten significantly bigger in the upper body.

I would also put Malik Monk in the top 10 in this mock

Shayok
    Participant

There should be no hoopla about Thon Maker at #24 in the 2017 mock draft. He dominated Edrice Adebayo at the NBA top 100 camp and walked away with the MVP trophy. He then went head to head with this sites "Mr. Everything" DeAndre Ayton and obliterated him by dropping 23pts and 17 rebounds to Ayton’s 7pts and 6reb. A few days ago Maker continued his onslaught. This time it was Josh Jackson. Maker had 25pts and 15reb in the win. Jackson checked Maker valiantly and had a very good game with 12 pts and 8ast. 

This site is consistent. Consistently hating on Thon Maker. 

calif555
    Participant

Lets just wait and see how things pan out..Funny how things work themselves out ..Dennis smith is the special one in this class Period .The NBA is a guards league ,depends on who is drafting at that time He could be the number 1 pick..

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

I won’t say that. It’s a guards league, to an extant. Karl-Anthony Towns still went number one in this "guards league", not D’Angelo Russell.

I don’t have him as the number one point guard in this class. I have De’Aaron Fox is the number one point guard in my book and Kobi-Jordan Simmons is my second. And if Malik Monk transition to point he would be my number one point guard.

I have Josh Jackson as the number 1 pick and if it’s not him it’s Harry Giles. 

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

I won’t say that. It’s a guards league, to an extant. Karl-Anthony Towns still went number one in this "guards league", not D’Angelo Russell.

I don’t have him as the number one point guard in this class. I have De’Aaron Fox is the number one point guard in my book and Kobi-Jordan Simmons is my second. And if Malik Monk transition to point he would be my number one point guard.

I have Josh Jackson as the number 1 pick and if it’s not him it’s Harry Giles. 

ncballer

People neg you but I do not.  It may come back to bite me in the ass, but Dennis is my favorite player from this class and the sky is the limit for him.

ncballer

People neg you but I do not.  It may come back to bite me in the ass, but Dennis is my favorite player from this class and the sky is the limit for him.

calif555
    Participant

Lets just wait and see how things pan out..Funny how things work themselves out ..Dennis smith is the special one in this class Period .The NBA is a guards league ,depends on who is drafting at that time He could be the number 1 pick..

BallerScript
    Participant

At the moment my top 3 would be 

1. Jayson Tatum (Small forward with good scoring instincts and court vision.)

2. Harry Giles (Great rebounder with an offensive game that is slowly expanding out to the perimeter.)

3. Malik Monk (Athletic sharp shooter with a great feel for the game.)

BallerScript
    Participant

At the moment my top 3 would be 

1. Jayson Tatum (Small forward with good scoring instincts and court vision.)

2. Harry Giles (Great rebounder with an offensive game that is slowly expanding out to the perimeter.)

3. Malik Monk (Athletic sharp shooter with a great feel for the game.)

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

This 2016 class is loaded gonna be a fun year in college basketball these next few years.

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

This 2016 class is loaded gonna be a fun year in college basketball these next few years.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I agree with most of the forum. Thon Maker is too low. If be entered the 2016 draft he would likely go first round. If he opts to go to college for a year then enter the draft he would likely be a lotto pick in 2017. He iis playing alot stronger this year and looks like he has alot more balance and a defined role.

To me a guy being slept on is Henry Ellenson. He has amazing handles, shooting ability and touch for his size. His court awareness is high and as long as he proves he can rebound and defend at a high level teams will be all over him.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I agree with most of the forum. Thon Maker is too low. If be entered the 2016 draft he would likely go first round. If he opts to go to college for a year then enter the draft he would likely be a lotto pick in 2017. He iis playing alot stronger this year and looks like he has alot more balance and a defined role.

To me a guy being slept on is Henry Ellenson. He has amazing handles, shooting ability and touch for his size. His court awareness is high and as long as he proves he can rebound and defend at a high level teams will be all over him.

m0sc0w1te
    Participant

where is bedhead? no see her?

draft2017 nba  

son of sabonis is #1

son of son of Sabonis is #3

best ever Arvydas sabonis

he is also dead

m0sc0w1te
    Participant

where is bedhead? no see her?

draft2017 nba  

son of sabonis is #1

son of son of Sabonis is #3

best ever Arvydas sabonis

he is also dead

sitlbito
    Participant

I’m gonna go full homer here(not full euroballer though):This site has Stephane Gombauld in the second round,and I think he’ll be a first round pick. He’s a 6-9 Power Forward with a huge wingspan,great rebounder and solid defender,decent shooter. Great finisher inside and good vision. Just enter his name on youtube,you’ll find his highlights from last year’s game against Canada at the U17 world championship where he put up 28 and 20(for whatever reasons,can’t post the link)

sitlbito
    Participant

I’m gonna go full homer here(not full euroballer though):This site has Stephane Gombauld in the second round,and I think he’ll be a first round pick. He’s a 6-9 Power Forward with a huge wingspan,great rebounder and solid defender,decent shooter. Great finisher inside and good vision. Just enter his name on youtube,you’ll find his highlights from last year’s game against Canada at the U17 world championship where he put up 28 and 20(for whatever reasons,can’t post the link)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login