This topic contains 50 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar J sheplak 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    ChicagoCasey
    Participant

It’s been a month since I’ve updated my prediction list and we have some players since my last recruiting post. Here’s my last prediction list (http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/markelle-fultz-washington). Since my last post Dennis Smith had committed to North Carolina State, Tony Bradley committed to North Carolina Wenyen Gabriel committed to Kentucky, Cassius Winston have committed to Michigan State, and Frank Jackson have committed to Duke. It’s funny because my first predictions I had Gabriel going to Kentucky. I was right about all except Gabriel and Tony Bradley.

Here’s my up to date list of predictions + feedback (this list is not a rankings list):

1) Josh Jackson – Michigan State/ It looks like Miles Bridges and him have a package deal going on and all the talk/momentum is leaning towards Michigan State to form one of the greatest recruiting cast in the past 10 years.
    2) Harry Giles – North Carolina/ This is a wild one because I don’t see him going to Duke due to the fact they have sign/have so many forwards and centers
    3) De’Aaron Fox – Kentucky
    4) Malik Monk – Kentucky
    5) Kobi Simmons – UNLV
    6) Miles Bridges – Michigan State/ Looks more and more likely that he will choose MSU Saturday. He’s announcing in Flint, Michigan , he’s close to Cassius Winston, he moved his announcement date up after his official visit to MSU, and Kentucky verbally committing Wenyen Gabrial days before announcing.
    7) Rawle Alkins – North Carolina State/ All signs point to NC State for him as well. Moved to North Carolina for his senior year, added NC State to his final list, playing for Adidas, and having an opportunity to play with Dennis Smith.
    8) Thon Maker – Arizona State
    9) TJ Leaf – UCLA
    10) Edrice Adebayo – North Carolina State
    11) Jarrett Allen – Texas
    12) Marquees Bolden – Kansas
    13) Udoka Azubuike – Florida State
    14) Dewan Huell – Florida State
    15) Seventh Woods – South Carolina

TarHeelRaven
    Participant

I’m hearing rumors that Wake might have actually jumped Carolina for Harry Giles.  NCballer seems to have the inside scoop on his recruitment and that’s what he’s saying.  Anybody saying Giles to Duke is a lock I think is crazy.  I believe if he really wanted to play with his friend Tatum he would’ve committed by now.  Not saying there isn’t a good chance he goes to Durham, but I think Wake and Carolina are still strongly in the mix.  I think Seventh goes to Carolina.  He loved his visit to Chapel Hill.  I’m sure Frank Martin is putting the full court press on him, but I ultimately think Woods comes to Chapel Hill. 

TarHeelRaven
    Participant

I’m hearing rumors that Wake might have actually jumped Carolina for Harry Giles.  NCballer seems to have the inside scoop on his recruitment and that’s what he’s saying.  Anybody saying Giles to Duke is a lock I think is crazy.  I believe if he really wanted to play with his friend Tatum he would’ve committed by now.  Not saying there isn’t a good chance he goes to Durham, but I think Wake and Carolina are still strongly in the mix.  I think Seventh goes to Carolina.  He loved his visit to Chapel Hill.  I’m sure Frank Martin is putting the full court press on him, but I ultimately think Woods comes to Chapel Hill. 

NYFinest12
    Participant

I just have a gut feeling Rawle commits to St.John’s we just landed another top 50 player in Shamorie Ponds. I’m also assuming he has NBA dreams and who better to get him there then former player Chris Mullin. I think with him playing in NY for HS and finishing it out in North Carolina. I think he comes back to change the St.Johns program and to be the face. Bring it back to what it was when Mullin, Mark Jackson, Malik Sealy, Felipe Lopez, and Ron Artest played.

SkalAndJamal
      Participant

Who better to get him there than Chris Mullin? John Calipari might have something to say about that…

SkalAndJamal
      Participant

Who better to get him there than Chris Mullin? John Calipari might have something to say about that…

NYFinest12
    Participant

I just have a gut feeling Rawle commits to St.John’s we just landed another top 50 player in Shamorie Ponds. I’m also assuming he has NBA dreams and who better to get him there then former player Chris Mullin. I think with him playing in NY for HS and finishing it out in North Carolina. I think he comes back to change the St.Johns program and to be the face. Bring it back to what it was when Mullin, Mark Jackson, Malik Sealy, Felipe Lopez, and Ron Artest played.

SkalAndJamal
    Participant

Well that would be great if elite recruits go to Michigan state or Texas, when a clean team can beat out the schools who cheat, hopefully schools can follow their trend.

NBAjunkie81
      Participant

in the Big 10 or Bug 12 – like Michigan or Texas – they are weak conferences so they really improve their draft position – look at what D’Angelo Russell did last year at Ohio St, no one even had him in the top 60 & he really made the most of his opportunity (no matter how you feel about his prospects as a pro – you must admit he really maximized his value)… I don;t know why more kids don;t take control of their own future & ditch these creepy adults steering to these different programs who are Clearly paying these slimy grown ups… 

NBAjunkie81
      Participant

in the Big 10 or Bug 12 – like Michigan or Texas – they are weak conferences so they really improve their draft position – look at what D’Angelo Russell did last year at Ohio St, no one even had him in the top 60 & he really made the most of his opportunity (no matter how you feel about his prospects as a pro – you must admit he really maximized his value)… I don;t know why more kids don;t take control of their own future & ditch these creepy adults steering to these different programs who are Clearly paying these slimy grown ups… 

SkalAndJamal
    Participant

Well that would be great if elite recruits go to Michigan state or Texas, when a clean team can beat out the schools who cheat, hopefully schools can follow their trend.

I.C.Y.U.NV.ME
    Participant

Duke signed a 4 star big man who is likely to be there for all 4 years ..that’s it for this class so far. Giles will be the starter on any team, regardless of who they signed. I think he goes to Duke. Wake is a serious darkhorse. 

I.C.Y.U.NV.ME
    Participant

Duke signed a 4 star big man who is likely to be there for all 4 years ..that’s it for this class so far. Giles will be the starter on any team, regardless of who they signed. I think he goes to Duke. Wake is a serious darkhorse. 

ncballer

I love the Giles prediction, although I don’t think it is happening.  I think that shipped sailed a long time ago to be honest.  He cancelled his official to UNC and spent the weekend where, you ask?  Wake Forest.  He is going to Duke or Wake Forest, and everyone I talk to tells me the same thing.  Although I would be estatic if you were correct and he does end up at UNC, I just don’t see it happening.  

Bam’s recruitment is VERY interesting.  On this thread a few weeks ago, I posted he was almost a lock to NCSU.  I no longer believe so.  I think NCSU is still leading, but look out for a school called Auburn.  They are gaining a ton of momementum out of the blue.  

I think UNC gets Seventh Woods, althought that one is my bias talking a little bit.  It is a toss-up between UNC and USC though.  His mom is playing an integral part in the recruitment, and I just don’t see how she would let her son play for Martin.  

I think Boulden may be a Duke lean, but this is coming from my connections in Durham, so take ethat with a grain of salt. 

Alkins is interesting.  I don’t think he even knows where he is going yet.  He is a late spring decision maker.  He loves to fool around on social media, trolling UNC and NCSU fans saying he would look good in their colors.  I don’t think Adidas has as big a role to play in this recruitment as Dennis Smith’s recruitment did.  He is one that I am anxious to see where he goes.  

ncballer

I love the Giles prediction, although I don’t think it is happening.  I think that shipped sailed a long time ago to be honest.  He cancelled his official to UNC and spent the weekend where, you ask?  Wake Forest.  He is going to Duke or Wake Forest, and everyone I talk to tells me the same thing.  Although I would be estatic if you were correct and he does end up at UNC, I just don’t see it happening.  

Bam’s recruitment is VERY interesting.  On this thread a few weeks ago, I posted he was almost a lock to NCSU.  I no longer believe so.  I think NCSU is still leading, but look out for a school called Auburn.  They are gaining a ton of momementum out of the blue.  

I think UNC gets Seventh Woods, althought that one is my bias talking a little bit.  It is a toss-up between UNC and USC though.  His mom is playing an integral part in the recruitment, and I just don’t see how she would let her son play for Martin.  

I think Boulden may be a Duke lean, but this is coming from my connections in Durham, so take ethat with a grain of salt. 

Alkins is interesting.  I don’t think he even knows where he is going yet.  He is a late spring decision maker.  He loves to fool around on social media, trolling UNC and NCSU fans saying he would look good in their colors.  I don’t think Adidas has as big a role to play in this recruitment as Dennis Smith’s recruitment did.  He is one that I am anxious to see where he goes.  

SkalAndJamal
      Participant

Thanks for the scoop!

SkalAndJamal
      Participant

Thanks for the scoop!

providencefriars1
    Participant

Giles will go to duke it’s pretty much a lock

providencefriars1
    Participant

Giles will go to duke it’s pretty much a lock

ph90702

It’s good to see that Michigan State is finally starting to recruit at an elite level again.

ph90702

It’s good to see that Michigan State is finally starting to recruit at an elite level again.

ncballer

Izzo deserves it!  He is due for a championship soon.

ncballer

Izzo deserves it!  He is due for a championship soon.

ncballer

Right after I post this, I find out MSU got a commitment from Bridges!  Solid get!

ncballer

Right after I post this, I find out MSU got a commitment from Bridges!  Solid get!

wonzi_bells
          Participant

If Izzo get Josh Jackson, hand them the national title for 2017. One-and-done teams don’t win but polished one-and-done players who fits with each others with a mix of older players win.

PG – 1. Cassius Winston (20 MPG), 2. Lourawls Nairn (20 MPG)

SG – 1. Erron Harris (27 MPG), 2. Matt McQuaid (1 MPG), 3. Kyle Ahrens (6 MPG)

SF – 1. Josh Jackson (29 MPG), 2. Josh Langford (18 MPG), 3. Javon Bess (8 MPG) 4. Alvin Ellis (5 MPG)

PF – 1. Miles Bridges (27 MPG) 2. Gavin Schilling (16 MPG), 3. Marvin Clark (10 MPG)

C – 1. Deyonte Davis (23 MPG) 2. Nick Ward (9 MPG) 

Somebody would have to transfer or lose a scholarship though since there aren’t any left with them at the 13 scholarship limit.

This is a deadly team though with scoring, size, shooting, passing, ball handling, defense, rim protection and depth

wonzi_bells
          Participant

If Izzo get Josh Jackson, hand them the national title for 2017. One-and-done teams don’t win but polished one-and-done players who fits with each others with a mix of older players win.

PG – 1. Cassius Winston (20 MPG), 2. Lourawls Nairn (20 MPG)

SG – 1. Erron Harris (27 MPG), 2. Matt McQuaid (1 MPG), 3. Kyle Ahrens (6 MPG)

SF – 1. Josh Jackson (29 MPG), 2. Josh Langford (18 MPG), 3. Javon Bess (8 MPG) 4. Alvin Ellis (5 MPG)

PF – 1. Miles Bridges (27 MPG) 2. Gavin Schilling (16 MPG), 3. Marvin Clark (10 MPG)

C – 1. Deyonte Davis (23 MPG) 2. Nick Ward (9 MPG) 

Somebody would have to transfer or lose a scholarship though since there aren’t any left with them at the 13 scholarship limit.

This is a deadly team though with scoring, size, shooting, passing, ball handling, defense, rim protection and depth

Espresso
    Participant

A top 10 of mine would look something like this

1-Thon Maker

2- Josh Jackson

3- Harry Giles

4- Jayson Tatum

5- De’Aaron Fox

6- Dennis Smith Jr.

7- Miles Bridges

8- Jonathan Isaac

9- Malik Monk

10- Rawle Alkins

Espresso
    Participant

A top 10 of mine would look something like this

1-Thon Maker

2- Josh Jackson

3- Harry Giles

4- Jayson Tatum

5- De’Aaron Fox

6- Dennis Smith Jr.

7- Miles Bridges

8- Jonathan Isaac

9- Malik Monk

10- Rawle Alkins

JordanC20
    Participant

Would love to see Malik Monk in UK blue..best 2016 prospect IMO

JordanC20
    Participant

Would love to see Malik Monk in UK blue..best 2016 prospect IMO

Wreckless
    Participant

1. Harry Giles – Duke.
    2. Josh Jackson – Maryland or MSU. Really a toughy here. From the Detroit area and not many people know what he’s thinking. Its all speculation and his camp hasn’t really let any things out. Definitely a chance he goes back home, which everyone would love, but look out for Maryland and the Under Armor connection.
    3. De’Aaron Fox – Kentucky.
    4. Malik Monk – Kentucky.
    5. Rawle Alkins – St. John’s. Can I just say this guy is so underrated? Dominates in every event he goes to. Think he’s a better prospect than Lance Stephenson who he’s often compared to. Easily a top 7 prospect even in a loaded class like this.
    6. Edrice Adebayo – NC State.
    7. Thon Maker – Arizona State.
    8. Jarrett Allen – Texas.
    9. Lauri Markkanen – North Carolina.
    10. Kobi Simmons – Ohio State.
    11. Udoka Azubuike – Kansas.
    12. Marques Bolden – Alabama. Think Jeter is a 3-4 year guy. Only way I see him possibly going to Duke is if Giles doesn’t commit.
    13. T.J. Leaf – UCLA.
    14. Seventh Woods – North Carolina.

Wreckless
    Participant

1. Harry Giles – Duke.
    2. Josh Jackson – Maryland or MSU. Really a toughy here. From the Detroit area and not many people know what he’s thinking. Its all speculation and his camp hasn’t really let any things out. Definitely a chance he goes back home, which everyone would love, but look out for Maryland and the Under Armor connection.
    3. De’Aaron Fox – Kentucky.
    4. Malik Monk – Kentucky.
    5. Rawle Alkins – St. John’s. Can I just say this guy is so underrated? Dominates in every event he goes to. Think he’s a better prospect than Lance Stephenson who he’s often compared to. Easily a top 7 prospect even in a loaded class like this.
    6. Edrice Adebayo – NC State.
    7. Thon Maker – Arizona State.
    8. Jarrett Allen – Texas.
    9. Lauri Markkanen – North Carolina.
    10. Kobi Simmons – Ohio State.
    11. Udoka Azubuike – Kansas.
    12. Marques Bolden – Alabama. Think Jeter is a 3-4 year guy. Only way I see him possibly going to Duke is if Giles doesn’t commit.
    13. T.J. Leaf – UCLA.
    14. Seventh Woods – North Carolina.

ncballer

Boulden is a MUCH better player than Jeter.  He should not be scared of him.  Also Giles and Boulden would be on the court together a lot.  There is almost no overlap in their games.

ncballer

Apprently, I can’t edit my own posts, but I wanted to add I whole heartedly agree with Alkins.  He will be a beast the second he steps foot on a college campus.  I think he averages 18 ppg out the gate.

ncballer

Apprently, I can’t edit my own posts, but I wanted to add I whole heartedly agree with Alkins.  He will be a beast the second he steps foot on a college campus.  I think he averages 18 ppg out the gate.

ncballer

Boulden is a MUCH better player than Jeter.  He should not be scared of him.  Also Giles and Boulden would be on the court together a lot.  There is almost no overlap in their games.

Sand

Why do you think Maker to Arizona State?

Whats the connection? 

I assume hes a package deal with his brother so I think thats why he stayed back a year.

I think other options for Maker include skipping college altogether.

His Guardian has good intentions but maybe isnt real keen on letting the boys off on their own. He gets a bad reputation… though hes helping the kids reach their potential.

Can’t criticise him for that…since their upbringing was not traditional and we don’t know if theyre ready for College yet.

ncballer

If he ever does in fact step foot on a campus it will be ASU.  That’s been the plan for a while now.  Color me not convinced that he ever steps foot on a campus though.  

ncballer

If he ever does in fact step foot on a campus it will be ASU.  That’s been the plan for a while now.  Color me not convinced that he ever steps foot on a campus though.  

wonzi_bells
      Participant

Yeah, when I first heard of it and I thought it was way out of left field.

I think it has to do with the Bobby Hurley and his coaching staff, one in particular Brian Merritt. Merritt worked as a camp director for John Lucas, and like Lucas, is close to him and his brother.

Also, Bobby Hurley just got done coaching Buffalo last year. Buffalo is pretty close to Toronto, so he probably kept a close eye on him to be able to get him if he jumped shipped to a bigger school as he did going to ASU.

Bobby Hurley had a terrific offense last year. Very up-tempo, attacking rim off the dribble, which Thon does.

I understand why he’s backed-off of Kentucky with all the bigs they have. However, I don’t understand why he’s backed-off of Indiana, Louisville and Kansas.

Seems like he wants to 100% assurance that he’ll get showcased, at the expense of winning.

Also, he can’t be a package deal with his brother, unless Matur reclassifies into this class, which I don’t think he’ll do.

ncballer

His recruitment is EXTREMELY sketchy, to the point that ASU is pretty much his only option.  I don’t even particularly understand the details, but his guardian has really caused a lot of schools to back off.  

ncballer

His recruitment is EXTREMELY sketchy, to the point that ASU is pretty much his only option.  I don’t even particularly understand the details, but his guardian has really caused a lot of schools to back off.  

airenn34
          Participant

ncballer or tarheelraven need some UNC scoop. How talented is this Lauri Markanen kid and who does he remind you of? 2nd question how is it that Seventh Woods is now rated a 4 star? He was hyped his soph year has his game regressed? I thought he was neck and neck with Dennis Smith with Smith just edging him out.

airenn34
          Participant

ncballer or tarheelraven need some UNC scoop. How talented is this Lauri Markanen kid and who does he remind you of? 2nd question how is it that Seventh Woods is now rated a 4 star? He was hyped his soph year has his game regressed? I thought he was neck and neck with Dennis Smith with Smith just edging him out.

ncballer

Draftexpress is REALLY high on Lauri.  I haven’t seen him play live (not many have).  Most articles I read seem to suggest he would be a top 15 player and McDonalds all american if he were in the USA.  They seem to think that he is a OAD talent, and I think he would fit UNC perfectly in the Marvin Williams 6th man role at both the 3 and 4.  The staff is really confident they get him.  I think Arizona is a distant second.  I always say in recruiting pay attention to the school that is not like the others.  His dad Pekka played for Roy Williams, his coach played at Utah, I have not read anything to indicate he has any specific connection to Arizona, so it looks like their interest comes straight from the program and not from a connection in the family circle.  That being said, his in-home with Roy went flawlessly and I think we get him.  He reminds me of a more athletic Ryan Kelly.  I think that Lauri is a better ball handler and passer, but they share that silky smooth stroke and similar movements.  

Woods’ problem is all mental.  He is generally speaking the most athletic guy out on the court.  End to end, he might be the fastest in the class.  He just seems like he overthinks out on the court.  He is pretty set on being a true PG, which IMHO does not fit his tools at all.  He needs to watch and embrace the Russel Westbrook model to truly reach is potential, in being relentless at attacking the rim and not thinking too much.  When he doesn’t overthink and focus’ on his strengths, he is a top 10 player in the class and on the level of Smith, Fox, etc.  He even dropped 40 points while being guarded by Smith at the glaxo invitational.  When he does overthink, he gets dominated by guys he shouldn’t be dominated by, like Devontae Schuler.  It’s all mental with him.  If he does go to UNC, I think for him to reach his potential, I would primarily put him at the 2 and give him the green light.    

ncballer

Draftexpress is REALLY high on Lauri.  I haven’t seen him play live (not many have).  Most articles I read seem to suggest he would be a top 15 player and McDonalds all american if he were in the USA.  They seem to think that he is a OAD talent, and I think he would fit UNC perfectly in the Marvin Williams 6th man role at both the 3 and 4.  The staff is really confident they get him.  I think Arizona is a distant second.  I always say in recruiting pay attention to the school that is not like the others.  His dad Pekka played for Roy Williams, his coach played at Utah, I have not read anything to indicate he has any specific connection to Arizona, so it looks like their interest comes straight from the program and not from a connection in the family circle.  That being said, his in-home with Roy went flawlessly and I think we get him.  He reminds me of a more athletic Ryan Kelly.  I think that Lauri is a better ball handler and passer, but they share that silky smooth stroke and similar movements.  

Woods’ problem is all mental.  He is generally speaking the most athletic guy out on the court.  End to end, he might be the fastest in the class.  He just seems like he overthinks out on the court.  He is pretty set on being a true PG, which IMHO does not fit his tools at all.  He needs to watch and embrace the Russel Westbrook model to truly reach is potential, in being relentless at attacking the rim and not thinking too much.  When he doesn’t overthink and focus’ on his strengths, he is a top 10 player in the class and on the level of Smith, Fox, etc.  He even dropped 40 points while being guarded by Smith at the glaxo invitational.  When he does overthink, he gets dominated by guys he shouldn’t be dominated by, like Devontae Schuler.  It’s all mental with him.  If he does go to UNC, I think for him to reach his potential, I would primarily put him at the 2 and give him the green light.    

wonzi_bells
      Participant

Yeah, when I first heard of it and I thought it was way out of left field.

I think it has to do with the Bobby Hurley and his coaching staff, one in particular Brian Merritt. Merritt worked as a camp director for John Lucas, and like Lucas, is close to him and his brother.

Also, Bobby Hurley just got done coaching Buffalo last year. Buffalo is pretty close to Toronto, so he probably kept a close eye on him to be able to get him if he jumped shipped to a bigger school as he did going to ASU.

Bobby Hurley had a terrific offense last year. Very up-tempo, attacking rim off the dribble, which Thon does.

I understand why he’s backed-off of Kentucky with all the bigs they have. However, I don’t understand why he’s backed-off of Indiana, Louisville and Kansas.

Seems like he wants to 100% assurance that he’ll get showcased, at the expense of winning.

Also, he can’t be a package deal with his brother, unless Matur reclassifies into this class, which I don’t think he’ll do.

Sand

Why do you think Maker to Arizona State?

Whats the connection? 

I assume hes a package deal with his brother so I think thats why he stayed back a year.

I think other options for Maker include skipping college altogether.

His Guardian has good intentions but maybe isnt real keen on letting the boys off on their own. He gets a bad reputation… though hes helping the kids reach their potential.

Can’t criticise him for that…since their upbringing was not traditional and we don’t know if theyre ready for College yet.

J sheplak
    Participant

Thon maker: Seems pretty open and loose right now, but I’m going ASU for the ties that i have heard 

Rawle Alkins: UNC. Been recruited very hard. If not he will go to an Adidas school.

Josh Jackson: Seems pretty close right now. Don’t see Under Armour playing a part in his decision. Seems to be between Kansas, Zona, and MSU. I’m going to go Kansas. Hard to beat Bill Self when he goes full out with Townsend. Visited him a bunch.

Bam Adebayo: Kansas or Kentucky. His only real main draw to N.C. state was to play with Smith, which is now not going to happen with Smith playing this year.

Marques Bolden: Kansas. Need big men.

Malik Monk: Kentucky. All signs show he is a package deal.

Andrew Jones: Staying home with Texas.

J sheplak
    Participant

Thon maker: Seems pretty open and loose right now, but I’m going ASU for the ties that i have heard 

Rawle Alkins: UNC. Been recruited very hard. If not he will go to an Adidas school.

Josh Jackson: Seems pretty close right now. Don’t see Under Armour playing a part in his decision. Seems to be between Kansas, Zona, and MSU. I’m going to go Kansas. Hard to beat Bill Self when he goes full out with Townsend. Visited him a bunch.

Bam Adebayo: Kansas or Kentucky. His only real main draw to N.C. state was to play with Smith, which is now not going to happen with Smith playing this year.

Marques Bolden: Kansas. Need big men.

Malik Monk: Kentucky. All signs show he is a package deal.

Andrew Jones: Staying home with Texas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login