This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar OhCanada- 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

I think its time to talk about Toronto possibly repeating. I dont think Milwaukee has enough to beat them in a 7 game series. The only team that I think can beat the Raptors are the Clippers.

This team is legit and even after winning 12 in a row I dont think the media is paying much attention to them. They are currently 3rd in the NBA despite having injuries constantly throughout the year to Lowry, Gasol, Powell, Ibaka, Siakam and just about everyone on the team. Only player on this team not to miss a game is Rising Stars Game “snub” Terrence Davis (how does Charlotte get three players in there?) but thats a whole different topic. Toronto aso had one of the 5 worst schedules in the first half of the season, and from here on it its one of the 5 easiest schedules.

Siakam is starting to become a better decision maker. He gets doubled every single game. Kawhi never used to get doubled ‘this much’ because he was just an excellent decision maker and teams would get shredded throwing quick doubles at him. Teams would mostly try to trap Kawhi at the end of the shot clock with doubles. When Toronto is healthy teams cant double Siakam because of our depth. This is why I think the only teams that have a chance against Toronto would be Miami, Milwaukee and LA Clippers. Adebayo, Giannis and Kawhi have shown they can guard Siakam one on one, Anthony Davis cant guard him.

The injuries have been a blessing in disguise. Guys like Terrence Davis, Chris Boucher, RHJ, Pat Mccaw will be able to step in and play at a high level at anytime in the playoffs. The teams chemistry is just something that you dont see often from NBA teams. They have the best chemistry in the league and they are fresh off of a championship so they wont be lacking confidence.

To be honest after losing Kawhi Leonard I wasnt really worried about the team, but I also didnt think we would have a legit shot at repeating. I knew we would be this good but I guess I thought the rest of the teams in the league would get a bit better. Milwaukee is the same team as last year. Giannis can just ht that three now, he will probably still hit slumps shooting it under pressure. Coach Bud doesnt have enough sets in that offense to get Middleton involved in a playoff type setting. I dont think the Lakers have enough depth. Celtics/Raptors would probably come down to home court advantage.

What do you guys think about the Raptors? Am I just being a homer again or has Toronto finally earned some respect?

Participant

I think the Raptors have a real chance of making it out of the East, but I don’t see anyone in the East winning it all right now.

Hitster
    Participant

The West is pretty loaded but the Raptors have as good a chance as anyone else out East to go all the way to the Finals again. The Bucks will be a hard team to get by and Boston if everyone is fit might go close. Miami haven’t really been mentioned that much but have made a couple of solid deadline day moves and should never be discounted.

With Kawhi going to the Clippers I had honestly thought the Raptors would enjoy their year as champions. Maybe make the play offs again but if they were outside of the mix blow it up by moving the guys on expiring deals and rebuilding around their younger guys.

But they are on a great run with Siakam stepping up to be the main man and Lowry playing as well as ever. VanVleet has stepped up too this year and Ibaka has been chipping in with useful points along with OG, If Marc Gasol is sound for the playoffs, his size and experience will also be a great asset.

Plus there may be a buy out or two so the Raps may add another vet to their roster with a view to using them as an option for the rest of the season.

r377
    r377
    Participant

East is pretty stacked. Any one of 6 teams could make it to the Finals, or at least Eastern Finals.

Raptors are very solid, if Ibaka and Gasol can stay healthy are they are a good chance to make it

BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I don’t think it is 6. Milwaukee is the clear favorite. They are crushing the regular season. They are 5-0 and beating teams by an average of 17 in games without Giannis. They ran the seven game slate Middleton was out. They have this next man up thing down. In as much as the regular season can be deceptive, it is huge for everyone’s confidence when someone is out of the lineup and then this is a Brook Lopez game, a Middleton game, etc.

Beyond them, Toronto has a lot of those same qualities, but Siakam is not Giannis. None of their vets have really kicked back and enjoyed the honeymoon, which for as much respect as I have for them had to be in the realm of possibilities.. VanVleet keeps getting better. Anunoby came into the season as a bit of a question mark, but has been more than solid. Terence Davis is kind of making a clown of everyone who thinks there is no point to drafting seniors. It is almost as if the fact that he developed a shot while at Mississippi to go with his fantastic athleticism, had a great senior year, and killed everything in the pre-draft cycle kind of indicated that he could play. Maybe. Oh well. It is a very good and like-able team. Still, it is hard to think they can get four of seven from Milwaukee.

Miami has been jump-started not only by Jimmy Butler but by the depth that has come from Kendrick Nunn, Tyler Herro, and Duncan Robinson outperforming anyone’s wildest hopes. I have my doubts if the playoffs will be a step too far for them this year, but that is why the additions of Crowder and Iguodala might be so important. Both Robinson and Herro seem likely to get picked on defensively come the playoffs, but if Spoelstra can pick his spots with them without adding a non-threat offensively to replace them then they might be able to spring an upset or two.

Boston is probably going to be the media’s non-Milwaukee pick, and they seem the best equipped to beat Milwaukee in the seven game series. Then again, they also seem more likely than Miami or Toronto to drop a series to Indiana or Philadelphia where their lack of size can be exposed.

I will also allow Indiana more time to come together. They held their own until Oladipo returned, but have hit the wall as he is trying to get his game back after a year out and acclimates to a new world with Brogdon and an improved Sabonis. They need to dodge that 6-seed in round one. Even if they spring the first round upset, it is asking too much for them to do it two more times.

Philly can’t win the East. They are still the same team minus Jimmy Butler and JJ Redick to cover for Ben Simmons hiding in the 4th quarter of playoff games. Embiid still struggled to play more than ten straight games without picking up an injury.

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

I dont get why people actually believe that Toronto has to knock off Milwaukee as if Milwaukee is the team to beat. They arent. They know they arent. Everyone in the East knows this its just the media that loves to tell you otherwise. Toronto won the championship in case you missed it. Toronto has eliminated Milwaukee 2 times in 3 years. In 12 playoff games they are 8 and 4. Milwaukee is still trying to figure out how to beat them and its not gonna happen this year because they have the exact same team as last year with minor tweaks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login