This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Scrooge McDuck 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Brought on by the recent comments by shaq and draymond. Draymond apparently said on a podcast that the warriors would wear shaq out in the pick and roll. This prompted shaq to respond that the warriors would a “six or seven seed” during his era. Because there is no actual basketball to talk about for the foreseeable future why not talk about a hypothetical scenario.
    Let me first start out with the stipulation that any matchup would be heavily factored by the rules by which the game was played. If the game was played with early 2000s rules regarding physicality and hand-checking that would be a huge advantage to the lakers. If it were played by today’s rules that would clearly work in the warriors favor, as their offense is predicated on off ball-movement. Since we are projecting how the warriors would fit in shaqs era, let’s assume we are using early 2000s rules.
    The idea that the warriors would be a six or seven seed in Shaqs era is ridiculous. The level of shooting they have is unprecedented and they’d be a force in any era. It would be slightly harder to run their offense, but they’d still stretch defenses to their breaking point, especially ones not accustomed to or built for their long-range assault. Teams that could stretch the floor and put shaq in the screen and roll always gave the Lakers trouble in their heyday and they never faced a team that could do it even close to as good as golden state could.
    Still, if this game were played in the early 2000s I’d give the Lakers the slight edge, as I feel their physicality would just overwhelm golden state, who typically struggled with physical defensive teams during their run. They’d have absolutely no answer for shaq and would basically have to resort to either intentionally fouling or just letting him score. It would be much more difficult to employ their death lineup. A young Kobe would have the energy and speed to chase Thompson around and keep him somewhat contained. Curry still likely goes off but I don’t think it’s enough. I see it being a competitive series and great contrast in styles but lakers win in six or seven.
    Now, if we are talking about the post 2016 version of the warriors with Durant on the team, it completely changes the equation. The lakers would have no answers to defend that team and I see the warriors winning rather comfortably.
    What are your thoughts?

canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

With Durant Warriors win. Withour durant, and with wiggins/barnes lakers win

armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

Lakers would win

RUDEBOY-
    Participant

Warriors had no answer for Shaq. Lakers in 6…I would’ve love to see that Warriors team of 2017 play the 2004 Pistons. Detroit entire starting lineup were all good defenders,and 4 guys Tayshuan,Billups,Rashaad and Rip who could shoot,pass and make plays, similar to the Warriors starting 4.

1+
      Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
      Participant

Interesting matchup. That pistons team lacked the top end talent of the warriors but they were deep and would have a lot of bodies to throw golden state. The mobility of Ben Wallace might have been somewhat effective in limiting the effectiveness of the pick and roll. Still, no team is really going to completely keep the warriors big 3 in check over a 7 game series and I have doubts if Detroit would be able to score enough to keep up. I’d take warriors in 6.

1+
      armchairgmarmchairgm
      armchairgm
      Participant

I would take the Warriors 2017 over Pistons 2004

sniper
    Participant

Wow I feel like those two teams (Lakers and Warriors) are really neck-and-neck among the greatest teams of all time, and pretty evenly matched. Neither team ever saw anything like the other one. If it’s early 2000s rules I have to give the Lakers an edge though.

Warriors could handle the 2004 Pistons though. Ben Wallace, God bless him, might barely be playable against the Ws, and that would blow up the Pistons’ whole identity.

Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Depends on which era rules you play by. 2001 Lakers only lost 1 game all playoffs. They had refs on their payroll… But I forgot how good they were.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login