This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Snowta 9 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    CodySLC
    Participant

Ricky Rubio signs a 4yr $56 million dollar extension with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Thats about 14 million a year. Am I the only one who thinks he’s over paid here? I get that Bledsoe got a similar deal, but I feel his upside is much higher. I know he’s still young with room to grow. He’s a great playmaker who gets a high number of steals. But the guy can barely put the ball in the hoop and shoots around 40% from the floor. With guys like Lowrey, and Connelly making less, and in my opinion being better players I don’t think it makes much sense for Minny. 

Hitster
    Participant

I’ve always been a huge Rubio fan but when you consider Kemba got $12 million a year, I think this deal is a bit over generous. But Bledsoe got $14 million a year also.

I see T-Wolves didn’t use their 5 year deal on Rubio after they wouldn’t give it to K-Love, if they had, he would probably still be there but they got Wiggins in exchange so it wasn’t a disaster.

Hitster
    Participant

I’ve always been a huge Rubio fan but when you consider Kemba got $12 million a year, I think this deal is a bit over generous. But Bledsoe got $14 million a year also.

I see T-Wolves didn’t use their 5 year deal on Rubio after they wouldn’t give it to K-Love, if they had, he would probably still be there but they got Wiggins in exchange so it wasn’t a disaster.

Hitster
    Participant

Hitster
    Participant

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Rubio is a beast. And hes still only 24

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Rubio is a beast. And hes still only 24

benny15
    Participant

Keep in mind conleY inked his deal before he was considered a good starting point guard who didnt stand out in any part of the game and lowrey signed his at 28 years old. 

Is this a risky signing? Absolutely. Could it be an overpay? Definitely. But could they end up paying him more next year? I believe so. There is a chance Rubio will take advantage of being on top of the Peking order in the post-love timberwolves era and get some monster stats. Given his age and timing of his possible break out season, flip took the risk with this extension over being in limbo and having a bigger problem next summer

benny15
    Participant

Keep in mind conleY inked his deal before he was considered a good starting point guard who didnt stand out in any part of the game and lowrey signed his at 28 years old. 

Is this a risky signing? Absolutely. Could it be an overpay? Definitely. But could they end up paying him more next year? I believe so. There is a chance Rubio will take advantage of being on top of the Peking order in the post-love timberwolves era and get some monster stats. Given his age and timing of his possible break out season, flip took the risk with this extension over being in limbo and having a bigger problem next summer

rope
    Participant

It’s tough to say who is worth what these days. I guess you are worth what someone is willing to give you. Wait until the new TV revenue starts to flow. The salaries are going to get absolutely crazy, even if they leave the players share of gross revenues right where it is. So far Rubio has been good in spurts, but he has not been as good as advertised. I don’t mind watching him, but his game has some pretty big holes. He might just find his groove with athletes like Wiggins and Lavine, though.

rope
    Participant

It’s tough to say who is worth what these days. I guess you are worth what someone is willing to give you. Wait until the new TV revenue starts to flow. The salaries are going to get absolutely crazy, even if they leave the players share of gross revenues right where it is. So far Rubio has been good in spurts, but he has not been as good as advertised. I don’t mind watching him, but his game has some pretty big holes. He might just find his groove with athletes like Wiggins and Lavine, though.

BoundByInk
    Participant

Glad to see ricky get it. He’s already improving his shoot this year. My fav PG to watch by far.

P.S  If kemba got 12 mill a year. Ricky derserves 30 mil a year then…lol just saying

BoundByInk
    Participant

Glad to see ricky get it. He’s already improving his shoot this year. My fav PG to watch by far.

P.S  If kemba got 12 mill a year. Ricky derserves 30 mil a year then…lol just saying

Snowta
    Participant

Rubio is better than Kemba. The thing a lot of people overlook is that Ricky’s elite in 3 categories. Playmaking, defense, and size for the PG position. Those are all extremely valuable in today’s NBA. Does Kemba have any elite skills? He can score, but dropping 20 a night on sub .400 shooting is far from elite in my opinion. Rubio’s offense was terrible last year, but you have to remember that was his first full season in the NBA. Two years ago and the beginning of last year he was still coming off the ACL and you could see he wasn’t as quick and was playing timid. Towards the end of last year he started to look like he was 100% physically. I think a full healthy offseason has helped him and it also helps that the Wolves finally have a shooting coach (why it’s taken this long is beyond me). He obviously has to improve offensively, but I’m optimistic he will continue to get better and I’m not as bothered by this deal as some people.

Snowta
    Participant

Rubio is better than Kemba. The thing a lot of people overlook is that Ricky’s elite in 3 categories. Playmaking, defense, and size for the PG position. Those are all extremely valuable in today’s NBA. Does Kemba have any elite skills? He can score, but dropping 20 a night on sub .400 shooting is far from elite in my opinion. Rubio’s offense was terrible last year, but you have to remember that was his first full season in the NBA. Two years ago and the beginning of last year he was still coming off the ACL and you could see he wasn’t as quick and was playing timid. Towards the end of last year he started to look like he was 100% physically. I think a full healthy offseason has helped him and it also helps that the Wolves finally have a shooting coach (why it’s taken this long is beyond me). He obviously has to improve offensively, but I’m optimistic he will continue to get better and I’m not as bothered by this deal as some people.

TallmanNYC
    Participant

I guess you have to spend the money somewhere. And as mentioned above the new TV renue kicks in in two years. This contract doesn’t start until next year, so there is only one year of it under the current TV deal. Then the salary cap is going up something like 50%. So all salaries are going to be a lot higher. (Side note, I don’t think the NBA will lock out the players again in order to force the players to take less than the current 50/50 split. I think the backlash against the owners and the league for causing yet another lockout especially when everyone now believes that they were lying about poverty and expenses during the last lockout. So I think current CBA will basically be continued.)

TallmanNYC
    Participant

I guess you have to spend the money somewhere. And as mentioned above the new TV renue kicks in in two years. This contract doesn’t start until next year, so there is only one year of it under the current TV deal. Then the salary cap is going up something like 50%. So all salaries are going to be a lot higher. (Side note, I don’t think the NBA will lock out the players again in order to force the players to take less than the current 50/50 split. I think the backlash against the owners and the league for causing yet another lockout especially when everyone now believes that they were lying about poverty and expenses during the last lockout. So I think current CBA will basically be continued.)

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

IF Ricky Rubio was even an average shooter, this wouldn’t be so bad. Problem is, he’s a piss poor shooter who’s confidence/esteem as a shooter is so bad, he won’t even look at the rim sometimes. He’s just not a real threat to score and teams know that. 

He’s also an overrated defender to me. Yea, he gets steals, but that doesn’t make him a great defender. He’s definitely not elite in that area. 

This contract is a head scrather to me, but he’s young and the upside is there I guess. 

Snowta
      Participant

He needs to gamble less, but that’s something he’ll continue to learn in terms of the right situations when he can do so. I do think he is better on the ball then a lot of people give him credit for. The consensus here in MN seems to be that he gambles because he’s not a good on ball defender but I disagree. I mean he’s 6’4 with a 6’9 wingspan and pretty quick, he can hold his own against NBA pg’s. But I see where you’re coming from. Elite might be a reach at this point.

Snowta
      Participant

He needs to gamble less, but that’s something he’ll continue to learn in terms of the right situations when he can do so. I do think he is better on the ball then a lot of people give him credit for. The consensus here in MN seems to be that he gambles because he’s not a good on ball defender but I disagree. I mean he’s 6’4 with a 6’9 wingspan and pretty quick, he can hold his own against NBA pg’s. But I see where you’re coming from. Elite might be a reach at this point.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

IF Ricky Rubio was even an average shooter, this wouldn’t be so bad. Problem is, he’s a piss poor shooter who’s confidence/esteem as a shooter is so bad, he won’t even look at the rim sometimes. He’s just not a real threat to score and teams know that. 

He’s also an overrated defender to me. Yea, he gets steals, but that doesn’t make him a great defender. He’s definitely not elite in that area. 

This contract is a head scrather to me, but he’s young and the upside is there I guess. 

McDunkin

I’ve been a Rubio since he was dropping quadruple doubles as a 14 year old. Its always disappointed me how his shot has gotten worse with age. This may be a bold/stupid statement, but I really think he could be a top pg in the NBA if he could only shoot somewhat consistently.

McDunkin

I’ve been a Rubio since he was dropping quadruple doubles as a 14 year old. Its always disappointed me how his shot has gotten worse with age. This may be a bold/stupid statement, but I really think he could be a top pg in the NBA if he could only shoot somewhat consistently.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login