This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I know this wasn’t exactly a huge debate in 2016. Simmons was the consensus number one pick even though some people (like myself) liked Ingram better as a long-term prospect. The past few seasons it has been even less of a debate as Simmons came in with an nba body and was a force as soon as he hit the floor and Ingram struggled early and has taken time to develop.
    However, four years later Simmons is still essentially the same exact player he was when he was drafted in 2016, with the exact same strengths and glaring weaknesses. It’s not even that his growth has been slower than expected. There hasn’t been any real growth at all. Granted, the player that he is now is still very good but his lack of a jump shot seems like it will always limit his offensive upside and it’ll always be something that you’ll have to work around.
    Ingram, meanwhile is finally looking like the player that some thought he could be and seems capable of being a true number one option that can score at all three levels, defend multiple positions, make plays off the dribble and create shots for others. And the scary thing is that he is over a full year younger than Simmons and still appears to have a lot of room to grow.
    I’m not necessarily saying in any way that philly regrets taking Simmons first, but you kind of have to wonder, knowing what we know now, if they would do it over if they had the chance. What do you think?

festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

I really like Ingram & always have, (really wanted him if PG was traded to Lakers instead of OKC) to me he has shown so much improvement it’s great to see.
    As you said I don’t think you can fault Philadelphia for taking Simmons & I think Simmons is better than most people realise, but the fit just isn’t very good. It’s an insanely talented team in Philadelphia, but the pieces just don’t add up. Getting Al Horford kind of made things most clustered for Philly & Simmons as well.

3+
    Bgoody
    Participant

I feel like the main thing over looked with Simmons is that he is a top 5 defensive player now. Ingram will never have the strength or quickness to be an elite defender like Simmons. And I agree with fit being an issue also. Simmons needs shooters around him and the whole team is average at best shooters. Elton Brand has yet to show that he can find the right pieces to compliment this team. Also I feel Brett Brown is the wrong coach. If Simmons won’t shoot bench him until he does. You think Popovich would have let Simmons keep ignoring 15 footers?

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
      Participant

Not sure if brown is the right coach or not, but he’s kind of been given a bunch of square pegs to fit in round holes this season. Butler was the departure everyone focused on, but they really miss redicks shooting and off ball activity. It was such a huge part of their offense the past 2 seasons and there is no one on the team right now that can come close to replicating what he brought.
      As far as the idea of benching Simmons until he starts taking jumpers, that’s a lot easier said than done. First of all, Simmons is an all-star and one of the cornerstones of the franchise. You really think the organization is going to side with a coach who may already be on thin ice on that idea. Second of all, they don’t have another capable primary playmaker on the roster who can come close to replicating what he brings to the table.

Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Neither. Simmons doesn’t have leadership ability. It’s hard to describe, but I can feel the same thing about RJ Barrett or Kyrie irving. You can tell right away with some players or over time. None will ever have the positivity on a franchise of a Luka doncic. Top prospects on my internal big board were Sabonis, valentine, and poetl from 2016 lol

OhCanada-
    Participant

I’ll pass on both and take Siakam.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login