This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 2 years ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

So years ago we had a conversation on this board about the future of the league and what would happen when guys like Giannis, Embiid and Zion matured. I think we are seeing the results of that. Its become a slugfest out there consistently. Add Jokic to that as well and I think the old ” the league is soft” theory that old timers like myself had been using is now a garbage arguement. Add in the rule changes which no longer allow perimeter players to thrive and I think we got ourselves a new league identity.

I think last year the Suns run to the finals was the nail in the coffin. On one side you had CP3, Crowder and Payne leading the flopfest nearly to a championship and when it came down to it in the end the refs stopped giving them calls. Meanwhile you had Giannis clearly the most physical player in the league (only because Embiid is a flopper) having his way. And to be honest its looking like its Giannis league until somebody can stop him. He’s just out there bullying everyone.

I don’t remember the league being this physical consistently from series to series since maybe the year Lebron played the Wizards and they were clearly head hunting trying to take him out. Not sure if this scares the NBA and they try to clean it up a bit which maybe in their best interest to protect their superstar investments but I for one am happy to see this style of basketball return. Thoughts?

1+
    armchairgmarmchairgm
    armchairgm
    Participant

They still call way too many flagarant fouls on stuff that should just be a regular foul.

2+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

And the flopping is out of control. I think they call those weak ass flagrants just to control the game and prevent another malice in the palace. But I sense theres gonna be some sort of brawl in this era. Hopefully not one including the crowd because thats just bad for everybody but the way guys like Giannis and Embiid are just throwing guys around someones bound to retaliate.

1+
    Hitster
    Participant

I prefered the physical game and with it becoming so perimeter based a lot of the post play from the Shaq, Tim Duncan, KG, Big Ben era of banging in the paint has gone. If the game is getting more physical what does this mean for the likes of Chet who has no bulk for example?

1+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

Means he’s gonna be hitting the deck and mopping the floor. Chet actually plays with physicality though he doesn’t really shy away from it but yeah. I definitely see him as a forward.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Another guy injured on a dirty play. Brooks knocked Payton Jr. in his head while he was airborne and he broke his elbow on the fall.

1+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login