This topic contains 32 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by marcusfizer21marcusfizer21 marcusfizer21 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    McDunkin

Its simple, players that shoulda won an award like MVP, Rookie Of the Year, etc. but were robbed or shoulda won it. Also, players that should have made an all star game but were robbed.

-Melo should have won the 2004 Rookie Of The Year, not Lebron.

-Lamar Odom should have made the 2011 All Star Game.

-Durant shoulda won Most Improved Player of the Year in 2010.

-CP3 should have been 2008 MVP

-Kevin Martin shoulda won Most Improved Player in 2007 instead of Monta Ellis.

-AK47 should have won Defensive Player Of the Year in 2006, not Ben Wallace.

-Yao Ming shoud have won Rookie of the Year in 2003 instead of STAT.

ANYBODY should of made the dream team over Laettener
    sammybuckeye13
    Participant

J-Kidd should have won MVP over Duncan in 2002

Spacegrass
    Participant

Laettner , hell yes!  We could of had Shaq playing with the dream team instead of that punkass.  Dream Team didn’t really need anymore good players , but it would of made the roster look as impressive as possible from top to bottom.

Shaq , Ewing , and The Admiral at C would of been sick!

Spacegrass
    Participant

Kidd in 2002 shot 39% from the field , not 3 the field!  Duncan had pretty much his best season of his career averaging 25.5ppg , 12.7reb , 3.7ast , and 2.5blk while shooting 51%.  Yes the Spurs lost to the Lakers , but the Lakers handled the Nets with the old sweep in the finals.  That Spurs v Lakers matchup in the western conference playoffs was the real finals that year.

RICO 1981
    Participant

Imo, shaq should have won the 04-05 mvp over nash and than the next year 05-06 should have went to kobe. I don’t know how kobe only has one mvp in 16 seasons

fliptonn
    Participant

Odom had a good 2011 but he would have had to make the team over either blake griffin, kevin love, or dirk nowitzki.

Kobe deserved to win MVP in 2008 (his only mvp), although he should have won it instead of Nash 2 years before.

Going from 25 ppg to 30 ppg does not qualify Durant for most improved player (Aaron Brooks had drastic statistic changes)

But yeah I agree with sammybuckye, j-kidd was robbed

JoeWolf1

I don’t think Kidd should have won MVP in 01-02.  That was Duncan’s best season at 25.5 ppg 12.7 rpg 2.5 bpg and 3.9 apg, while Kidd shot under 40% from the feild.  

Playoff accomplishments aren’t factored in to MVP honors, so Kidd making the finals shouldn’t put him over Duncan who had a superior regular season.

JoeWolf1

I agree Spacegrass, you beat me to it

JunkYardDog
    Participant

DENNIS RODMAN ! only 2 times DPOY…. what a joke…

PHIL JACKSON : only 1 time COY

sammybuckeye13
    Participant

Spacegrass, forget statistics.

In 2000-01 the Nets, with Starbury, who averaged 23.9 and 7.6 that year, went 26-52.

Then they traded for Kidd, and all he did was lead them to 52 wins, their first ever division title, all the way to the Finals with a lineup that was rounded out with Kerry Kittles, Keith Van Horn, Kenyon Martin and Todd MacCoulloch. This was a team that relied heavily on Lucious Harris and Aaron Williams. 

I wouldn’t say Kidd was "robbed," but, yeah, he should have won.

mwalling2117
    Participant

Not really a trophy, but Andre Iguodala should have won the slam dunk contest in 2006 over Nate Robinson.

NJHooper95
    Participant

Jason Kidd- Should have won MVP. Sammy pretty much stated all the facts. How do you not give the MVP to player who led a bottom-cellar team to a 50 win season and the finals. Not to mention that he was the teams best scorer, rebounder, assist, and steals guy. He made his supporting cast what it was. There were no all-start on that 2002 team other than Kidd.

Tyson Chandler should not have beat out Ibaka for Defensive Player of the year. Tyson won that award based off his performance in last season championship run. He was not more impactful than Iblocka. When you get a nickname for playing defense that saids something.

Oh year you can make a case that Carmelo Anthony was robbed of his Rookie of the Year award which was given to Lebron James.  Before everybody gets nuts Carmelo average 21.0 pts and 6 reb and led his team to the playoff and shot a better pct than lebron from the field, compared to Lebrons 20.9 and 5.5 rebs and no playoff appearance. Im just saying.

M-Eazy
      Participant

"Tyson Chandler should not have beat out Ibaka for Defensive Player of the year. Tyson won that award based off his performance in last season championship run. He was not more impactful than Iblocka. When you get a nickname for playing defense that saids something."

Uh that’s simply not true.  How about him turning the Knicks around in so many defensive categories??

surve
    Participant

Kevin Love was pretty popular but his team wasnt winning.  Aldridge or Odom couldve went there.  If you want your standard to be about winning.  If not, ok, fine…give it to Love…but then that allows the omition of Purvis Short from the All Star team in 84-85 to be criminal if you are going by raw stats.   4th in the league in scoring (behind King, Bird, and Jordan) on 46% shooting.  He played 5 more games than Love and GSW won 5 more games than the T-Wolves.

Josh Smith, 18.8ppg, 9.6rpg, 4apg (2.5tpg), 1.7bpg, 1.4spg.  For the #6 team in the league, shouldve gotten All Star or All NBA.

I think Rod Strickland made All NBA one year but was left off the All Star team.

Andre Miller couldve been an All Star, but more importantly, not exactly a snub, but his ridiculous suspension to end his 632 game playing streak was very bad.  Miller deserves a lot more popularity than he has received because he has been one of the most consistent, productive, and durable players in league history.

JunkYardDog
    Participant

Tony parker should get a special sportsmanship award only for that :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPSFnX47JzA

… someone says fair play ?

Wavy Bagels
    Participant

Iggy not making at least all-defensive 2nd team this year is pondering.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant
    • What is your basis for Melo winning ROY over LeBron in 2004? That Melo’s team went to the play-offs? They also had Andre Miller (a guy who seems to win wherever he goes), a healthy Nene and Marcus Camby. LeBron had the "All-Star" center Zydrunas Ilgauskas (who was a good player, but could not really be justified as an All-Star without having next to no center options at the time. He wasn’t an All-Star that year) and Carlos Boozer. Two players, known…..for……their……defense (yes, I am being sarcastic). As always, LeBron had to do flat out more than Melo. Plus he did it. So Melo averaged .1 more ppg, his not being ROY was SUCH a travesty. For shame, McLala.
    • LaMarcus Aldridge=much more deserving than Odom last year. Finally made it this year, but I think saying Odom should have made it last year in retrospect is kind of splitting hairs. He sure did well after the All-Star break and in the play-offs to justify his being left off of the team (again, sarcasm is palpable). Plus, this year he really showed those voting coaches who was boss!
    • HOW DARE YOU TRY TO STEAL AN AWARD FROM AARON BROOKS!!!!!!!

• Really? Going with the "CP3 over Kobe" thing? Come on! Kobe Bryant was the best player in the league. His team ended up with the best record, for much of the year not having any semblance of a Pau Gasol type presence (Kwame Brown, anyone?). Chris Paul had a great season, but Kobe deserved the MVP. When the trophy goes to the best player in the league, I find it little reason to call it a "robbery". Kobe not getting the award in 2006? Robbery. Chris Paul not getting it in 2008? Kobe was still better. Sorry to say (as in not really sorry)
    • Maybe Kevin Martin had a better case than finishing 5th, but Monta made huge strides in his second season. Martin was on a team with pretty little exciting going on. That seems to be his modus operandi. I am surprised one cares so much about awards between two guys who have done little more than score for teams that didn’t make the play-offs. Plus, how awesome was it when the Warriors beat the Mavericks that season? Yes, this had no standing on the award, but it deserved this minor trophy to celebrate. To take it away from them makes you McClydeBarrow. How does it feel to be the robber, McOfficerKrupke?
    • AK had a case, but this was still the Ben Wallace that was killing the boards and leading the leagues premier defense. Kirilenko is an excellent defender as well, but I do not think this was a major robbery. The Pistons were 64-18 and the Jazz were 41-41. Not the end of the world and I do not think record justifies everything. But, that more than likely played a partin Ben winning the award.
    • This one is the one I like the most so far. Phoenix made the play-off’s and the Rockets did not, but Yao and Amare had incredibly similar impact as rookies. I think part of Amare’s intrigue was that he was picked 9th and surpassed expectations (even though, most everyone knew, it was really stupid to let him drop that far. This was a kid who people said could be the #1 pick in the draft in 2001 as a HS junior. I have little clue why he slipped, guess Mike Dunleavy, Niko Tskitishvilli and Chris Wilcox were irresistable). Yao got off to a really slow start, but this was kind of a toss up. At the time I liked the Amare pick, looking back it easily could have gone to Yao. Maybe voters were pissed off that he had been the leading All-Star vote getter before he was really deserved of such a distinction? Either way, not necessarily a "robbery" and I can’t hate Stoudemire for winning it, but it could have gone differently.
    • Yes, anybody over Laettner. We wish. Well, truly anyone else could have been on the team. Laettner was the golden boy at the time, though. If you argue he is a Hall of Famer, you are on your own (I know of a person who’s name is similar to starting off a point in tennis who has "argued" for Laettner. Put it in quotes as I think even he realizes Laettner should not make it). He is a NCAA Hall of Famer, he played on the Dream Team. His NBA career does not suggest enshrinement in the least. Would have been really nice if a Shaq or Zo. But, people on here seem to love Brian Scalabrine. You just think of Laettner as the Dream Team Scalabrine? No, doesn’t help me much either.

Here are my picks for whom I believe should have won the MVP year by year. The past few years I think the rightful winner has won (though maybe LeBron should have won 4, but I tend to give 2011 to Derrick Rose).

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/mvp-4

surve
    Participant

get it right now, lol.   I did not argue that Laettner "should" make it, I argued that he "could".  I believe I also said he should never have been on that team ahead of Shaq.  I think Alonzo was available as a collegiate then too.  I cant stand the guy and the fact that he went to Duke makes it worse.  He didnt deserve to be on that team and it was a definite snub to others, but popularity wise, it wasnt a bad snub.  As far as who shouldve been on the team, it was.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I did say even you were not incredibly convicted to have being in the HOF. I mean, a lot of people "could" make the HOF. Laettner just should be pretty freaking far back in the "could" pile, more like in the "shouldn’t unless we really run out of ideas" pile. Here is a list of 2013 HOF candidates from basketball-reference.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/hof.cgi

He is 84th in the rankings, which is done by win shares (an interesting little formula of how much a player contributed to his teams success). At 83rd, we have Brad Daugherty. A player who has little HOF claim, but still more than Christian. Seeing that what, 8 players or so at most per year, and more and more people are going to become eligible that are deserving, Laettner’s odds are pretty low in the Springfield Derby. I would list him at 100-1 (think I am giving him the benefit of the doubt), but putting money on it more than likely means not making any.

FUNKYBUNCH
    Participant

Serge Ibaka leading the league in blocks or Lebron you can say guarding all 5 positions make a case for def POY, both making all NBA defensive first team this year… and Tyson Chandler (don’t get me wrong he’s no push over) wins the prize for the award??? Didn’t even make 1st team! He’s a good defender, but not best in the league this year! I believe Ibaka got snubbed.

ivan138
    Participant

drazen petrovic was never an all star

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Ibaka could have had a case this year for DPOY but I can’t argue with Tyson Chandler. 

Snubs: 

Tyson Chandler should have been first team all-defense.  Iggy should have been somewhere on the first or second team. 

Josh Smith should have been an all-star this year. 

I think Shaq was snubbed in 1992.  Last year I argued that Shaq was left off because he would have possibly been the best player on the court.  I mean he DESTROYED guys as a rookie in the league.  He could have gotten 50 or 60 against the Euro players.  The Dream Team was marketed around Jordan and Magic, plus Bird.  I think though that Sir Charles was the most impressive overall player.  If Shaq had been there it would have been all about Shaq along with Sir Charles, not as much about the Jordan/Magic/Bird trio.

I wasn’t mad about Laettner making it.  He had a hell of a college career.  He could also play power forward and center and therefore fit in well behind Barkley, Karl Malone, Ewing, and David Robinson.  He gave the Dream Team what they needed.  But, if you had asked ANYONE back then who would do more damage in the NBA and who is a more legit big man they would tell you SHAQ.  … in the NBA Shaq was put in a perfect situation in Orlando (and then they get Penny).   Laettner was sent to Siberia (Minny T Wolves).

… about Rodman: I don’t think he made enough all-star games.  Not sure how many he went to though, but I don’t think he went to that many.

Karl Malone won two MVP awards.  One of those should have gone to Michael Jordan.  Or, what they should have done, if the MVP voters wanted to think outside they box, they would have split the award for Karl Malone AND John Stockton.  Stockton was playing great those years too and was very instrumental in the Utah Jazz Finals teams.  So if they weren’t going to give the award to Jordan then they should have been one of The Mailman’s MVP trophies to both him and Stockton.

JoeWolf1

Laettener made the team fresh after hitting the game winning shot in the NCAA championship game, one of the most dramatic of all time.  Not to mention, he won the AP Player of the Year, Naismith and Rupp awards and pretty much was the most decorated player in the NCAA that year.  He was the obvious choice if you were picking one college player for the team.

They probably shouldn’t have even picked a college player for the team, but since it was the first year allowing pros to play in the Olympics, I guess I understood why they did.

Hindsight is 20/20, If Laettner hadn’t gotten injured and continued to produce at an 17 ppg 8 rpg clip until he retired, I doubt people would have the same problem with him being on that team.  

I never liked him, but can realize he is one of the most decorated collegiate mens basketball players in history.  If you were picking a college guy to play on the 92 team…why not pick the guy who won every award, hit the game winning shot in the title game and was dropping 22 ppg 8 rpg on 57% 56%( on nearly 100 3 point attempts) and 81% shooting?

Hoops Maestro
    Participant

Nowitzki should have won 3 MVP awards.  He led the NBA in Win Shares per 48 minutes for 3 straight seasons, 2004-5, 2005-6 and 2006-7.

mamadou
    Participant

2001 MVP was C-webb…

Forte IV
    Participant

I don’t get how Josh Smith didn’t make any defensive teams his first couple of seasons. Pretty sure he averaged 2.9 bpg and something like 1.5 spg his second or third season. Same goes with Shawn Marion. The season he averaged 2 steals and 2 blocks a game he didn’t even make the 2-nd defensive team.

aamir543
    Participant

Guys, Laettner was at the time what Anthony Davis is now hype wise, Natio n POY, National Champion, top of the world, the only thing I would argue is that if they were going for a collegiate big man they could’ve gone with Shaq, but at the time I can completely understand them choosing Laettner.

WizardofOz
    Participant

Josh Smith should’ve at least been in one All-Star game so far in his career.

thparadox
    Participant
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

First of all, people remember that Laettner play MUCH different than the way it actually happened:

Secondly, Laettner also stomped on the chest of Kentucky forward Aminu Timberlake in that 1992 104-103 East Regional Final classic. AMINU TIMBERLAKE! That name just blew my mind. Imagine Al-Farouq Aminu and Justin Timberlake as one human being. Laettner crushed that with his Reebok (well, he wore Nike, but I would like to think he did not wear the gear innovated by my alma mater).

Another thing to remember is, let’s not forget who Anthony Davis of 1992 was. It was Shaq. Yes, Shaq may not have made the Final Four every year, hold the record for most points in the NCAA Tournament or have the distinction of winning 2 in a row (though Bobby Hurley was Final Four MOP in 1992). But, he was SHAQ! He was the "no duh!" first pick in the draft. He was not the golden boy that Laettner was, but Laettner had already had a chance to play for the US in 1990. They won bronze:

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/mwc_1990.html

Bottom line was, if you were looking for pure, raw, unadulterated talent on a team, Shaq would have been the guy. The Orlando Magic and Charlotte Hornets skipped over Christian Laettner for a reason. They believed both were better players (well, that turned out to be true). Things Laettner did have going for him were:

• He had previous International experience with the 1990 team
    • Mike Krzyzewski was an assistant coach of the 1992 Dream Team (Not Dale Brown, not John Thompson. By the way, many seem to forget, but PJ Carlesimo was also an assistant)
    • He was a clean cut white dude (Let’s not be too naiive. I hate pulling the race card and would like to think people are color blind, but this certainly seemed to be a factor with Laettner being on the team. If he had a beard or dread locks with visible tats at the time, think they might have leaned towards Shaq or Zo)

Well, it happened. Even in 1992, as a little kid, I remember thinking to myself "What the hell is this guy doing on the team?" When I started following the NBA and became one of the worlds biggest Shaquille O’Neal fans, I asked myself "Why?" constantly. This was a monster of a team. They had their choice of ANYONE and were just going to run them over. It was not like, "Get us Laettner, he will really help us out!" Hindsight is 20/20, but I know that Shaq was indeed as much of a beast as Laettner in either 1991 or 1992. He may not have been as polished, he did not shoot as well nor did his team win titles. But, to compare Laettner to a guy who is considered a lock for the first pick? There already was one of those, his name was Shaquille O’Neal. Anthony Davis may be seen as the ultimate college player of 2012, much like Laettner was perceived in probably 1991-92, but I think the circumstances surrounding both are wildly different.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Agree that this "Kidd over Duncan" in 2002 (again, to me) is nonsense. Timmy was an El Super Beasto. I agree with thparadox that Duncan and Shaq should have been the only players in the discussion. Yes, Kidd turned the Nets around quite a bit, he was quite valuable to the team that was not teeming with talent. Also, recall that the East was AWFUL. Like, awful enough to have a team that would have been the 5th seed in the Western Conference (going off of record, had they played a Western Conference schedule probably mark them down for lower) win the conference.

The Lakers WAXED this team in the Finals and while Kidd changed the culture, there was no way he was a better player than Tim Duncan or Shaquille O’Neal that season. I want to clear up something that gets tossed around with the MVP. People tend to say "well this guy is MUCH more valuable to his team". Well, it is the Most Valuable Player. In most sports, that tends to mean the guy that had the best season in the league with all things considered. What is wrong with it being maybe, I don’t know, VALUE AMONGST THE LEAGUE! Huh?

Yes, basketball is a team sport and what a player does to help his team win is incredibly important. If one lacks a supporting cast or one has great players around them, it could effect ones value to a team. Still, I have absolutely no problem with the MVP going to the best player in the league. If that player has a season worthy of the distinction and does enough to help his team play at a much higher level than they would otherwise, can’t say I take issue with them winning MVP.

To me, Kidd was not the best player in the league in 2002. He was a good story, he helped turn around a team that sucked. Tim Duncan had done that, and kept them at a championship level or damn near it from when he entered the league until now. Think people back than knew that Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili would be multiple time All-Stars. Because they weren’t in 2002! Timmy had David Robinson, but that dude was an absolute beast. Put him on pretty much any team back than, he would have put them at a level close to 2002 New Jersey. Kidd had healthy players that season and some solid role guys. He was the best player, but how could one say that he was any more valuable to his team than Tim Duncan? I thought he got votes more for the story than the season, which I think is the wrong reason to give someone the NBA MVP, not the "I made this bad team so much better award".

McDunkin

Just dont say McDiesel never talks basketball

marcusfizer21marcusfizer21
    marcusfizer21
    Participant

Josh Smith!!! damn

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login