This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by NorrinRaddNorrinRadd NorrinRadd 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Mavericks get Christian Wood
    Houston gets 26th pick in draft, Boban Marjonovich, Sterling Brown, Trey Burke and Marquesse Chriss

Its clear Houston didn’t see Wood as part of their long-term future and they will select a big to replace him with the 3rd pick in the draft. They get a draft pick to move him (albeit a low first rounder). The rest of the players they acquired probably won’t have much of an impact and are just salary filler, but they didn’t take on any bad deals or long-term contracts. They open up the door for sengun to start with whoever they select in the draft and will have significant cap space once Wall’s deal comes off the books next summer if they can’t trade him sooner. Ideally, they were probably hoping for a little more of a return for Wood, but this still seems like a solid deal for them.

The Mavs take a low-cost flier on a player who could potentially raise their ceiling as a contender. Wood has been a fantasy stud for a few years now whose numbers haven’t really translated to winning and his attitude has been in question at times. However, he has also never really been in a winning situation and he gets a chance to prove his value extends beyond the box score. He has the talent to be a significant upgrade to their frontcourt rotation. They are banking on the fact that a playmaker like Doncic and their culture will bring out the best in him. His contract is favorable and expires after this season, so there is no long-term financial commitment unless Dallas wants to sign him to an extension.

Seems like a pretty solid deal with limited risk for both sides. What are your thoughts?

1+
    zolazola
    zola
    Participant

Rockets could definitely have made a better deal. I don’t know why they rushed. I’m surprised they didn’t ask for Josh Green.

For Maverics this is low risk move. Wood is not ideal fit, but is huge upgrade at C. I’m glad that we will finally have the chance to see what Wood can bring in competitive team.

1+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

I too think it’s a solid trade for both teams. Not great, but pretty solid… Spot on! Dallas will still need a Shot blocker to anchor the defense at times, but Wood relieves the offense of going overly Luka crazy. Meanwhile Houston gets rid of the disgruntled Wood and can do something with the pick. Maybe one of the trash pieces Houston got in return actually makes the team. Maybe they even try to move up in the draft. We’ll see. But I likey both ways.

Hitster
    Participant

Wood for his returns hasn’t given Houston much back in a trade but is he a “stats padder” for want of a better word. He had a good season in Detroit pre-pandemic but they didn’t want to pay him so did S and T. He has had two good years in Houston and we’ll really see how he goes on a play off team. He’ll be the second main scorer to Luka and could put up 20/10 and get another good contract next summer be it with Mavs or elsewhere.

I’d not got Mavs taking Banchero in a lot of my mocks due to them having a young frontcourt but it would seem pretty clear they take whoever out of the top 3 bigs doesn’t go to Magic or Thunder.

The interesting thing could be is Ivey the best fit for Kings at 4, if not do they take Murray at 4 or risk a Sharpe/Mathurin. More likely if Ivey had a lot of interest I could see them trying to lever an asset from Pacers or more likely Detroit if they really liked Ivey.

1+
      NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
      NorrinRadd
      Participant

Imo Ivey is going either at 3 or 5. I don’t even know who will be picking at either position, because of trade possibilities.

Hitster
    Participant

This site now has Chet down at 6 on their mocks so is the order really shaking up. ESPN still have him at 2 but if he slipped to 3 I cannot see Rockets passing on him.

1+
    JK44JK44
    JK44
    Participant

Maxi: Same 3pt shooter/ better FT%/ better defender / great personality/ more Bb IQ
    Dwight: better defender/ better TS%/ great personality / more Bb IQ
    Wood: no FT/ better rebounder / sorry nearly no Bb IQ/ no defense

Mavs need: rim protecting!
    Mavs lost Fan Favorites.
    Wood was on good teams , but no one fall in lose with his personality, defense and Bb IQ.
    He has some upside. I would have drafted him first round years ago.
    He could be a good running mate on offense for Luka on good days. But Mavs still need a rim protector!

2+
    NorrinRaddNorrinRadd
    NorrinRadd
    Participant

Looks like Bradley Beal will decline his option to stay in Washington… sign and trade??? This should shake up the draft a bit.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login