This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar no skills 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    BlueWaffleIronBlueWaffleIron
    BlueWaffleIron
    Participant

There are some real junk contracts in the NBA right now. Off the top of my head I can think of so many players that I can’t fathom how the team they play for ever moves them.

John Wall, Chris Paul, Kevin Love, Al Horford, Blake Griffin and to a lesser extent Derozan and Heyward who are expiring but will probably pick up their options. Unless some of these players are straight up swapped for each other which doesn’t make sense I can’t see how teams are getting out of these.

Chris Paul is playing awesome right now but getting paid 45 million at 37 doesn’t seem to enticing I’m guessing. Love and Griffin both seem pretty washed for having Max contracts, while a change of scenery might help I can’t see a contending team willing to shed assets for them when there are cheaper alternatives. As a Philly fan Horford immediately seemed like a trash signing to me for a guy who can’t play powerforward and is stuck in a team that already has bad pacing. Backup center great, 28 mil a year not great. John Wall is a tough one to peg if hes healthy hes very dynamic and could operate well surrounded by shooters.

What do you guys think any way some of these players get traded if even possible at this point? Injuries suck but at a certain point you’d think some teams would learn their lessons handing out bad contracts to either injury prone or much older players…

holefillers1
    Participant

I would say Tobias Harris has a more unloveable contract. $180 mil for a spot up shooter is a lot. He doesn’t get to the line he plays average defense, below average if you ask him to box out his position. Last night he started out aggressive but look at his line. 19 points on 17 shots 1-6 from three and 0 FTA…this is a max contract

1+
    bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

Draymond Green is also on a horrible contract. I never thought he was even that good to begin with. In fact I honestly think he is as good as PJ Tucker except with a bit more defense. That contract will be the worst in the league at some point and will be the reason why the Warriors will struggle to get back to the Finals if they even get out of round 1 with the Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Nuggets, Rockets, and Mavs all gonna be good for years to come.

1+
    Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Lol well a few years ago Draymond was fantastic. He handled the ball, averaged 6 assists and nearly 2 blocks. Always found the open man. had great defensive awareness and help side defense. Was in the running for defensive player of the year. That was 2-3 years ago and why he got a max deal. And he’s compared to PJ Tucker??? Wow.

2+
      OhCanada-
      Participant

PJ Tucker is a monster. Absolute beast. Probably the most underrated player in the league.

1+
    festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

The Hornets are the best example of throwing out poor contracts, they are just wriggling themselves lose of them now with buyouts of Marvin Williams & Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. I believe Biyombo expires this year, then they free up another $40mil after next season with Batum (Player Option I can’t see him decling) & Zeller.
    They paid Rozier a bit too much in my opinion, but then they need to be smart about extending Graham after next season as well or else it’ll be the same cycle again.

HuskyRef
    Participant

With the Hornets, that was the dreadful off season of 2016, when so many bad contracts were handed out. Lakers and Magic handed out some real doozies, the Hornets gambled on continuity being key for the club, they gambled and lost huge.
    Rozier is on a contract where he will be moved on the 3rd season, and they have already had contract talks with Graham. Kupchak has them on the right road.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I’d be surprised if Derozan picks up his option. This is a pretty weak free agent class and the situation is San Antonio hasnt been the best. He might look to cash in on another big contract while he still can and try to find himself a good home. Hes never explored free agency I think its something he will look to experience.

BlueWaffleIronBlueWaffleIron
    BlueWaffleIron
    Participant

Im actually thinking the 2021 class is pretty overrated as well. Theres a lot of money to go around but I can’t see Lebron, Kawhi, PG leaving a lot of the other free agents are guys that I listed above and I’m kind of doubting Giannis goes anywhere yet. That leaves Gobert, Dinwiddie, and Jrue Holiday as probably the only max candidate guys. Seems like more ugly contracts are going to get thrown out and the Knicks will just continue sucking.

Hitster
    Participant

Kawhi has a couple of titles and has jumped ship before. Plus if he likes LA then I could see Lakers going all out to get him. But I think he’ll show some loyalty to the Clippers.

no skills
    Participant

its not horrible but mike conley is not an exactly budget friendly contract.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login